Thread: M1 carbine or 300AAC Upper?

M1 carbine or 300AAC Upper?

I know its somewhat apples and oranges but if you had the funds to do one or the other, which would you do and why? I am liking the Inland repro M1 carbines but I see a place for the 300AAC in my AR line up also. I have lots of .30 cal options now(AKs, Garand, SKSs, Mosins) but both of these have grabbed my interest. What do you all think?
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I love the concept of the .300 and I wish it came out 30 years ago. We should be using it the same way modern Russians integrate AKMs into their units to give some of the fighters some extra oomph at close ranges. The fact that it can be suppressed with sub-sonic loads is just an awesome side benefit IMO.

On the other hand, the M1 Carbine would be great as an addition the US military weapon collection, as well as making a great handy carbine for the wife/kids. I'd be tempted to get two and keep one original and put a scout rail on the second one with a red dot and flash light.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I personally would scout around for a surplus GI US M1 Carbine. Some of the repros look pretty good but they won't appreciate in value like the real thing. For what the repros are going for you can get an Inland or Winchester GI carbine. IBM, Postal Meter, Saginaw Gear & others will run more, depending of course on condition. I've come across some very nice Rock-Ola's in recent years but they are the rarest & command big $$$$. I see the carbines at gun shows around here quite a bit.

if youre going to shoot the shit out of it /range toy I'd just buy a repro Carbine.

I have a bunch of shit in 300blk, cool to be able to suppress below 9mm sound levels BUT at the same time I wish i never spent the $$ getting into it.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Carbines are feather light and hit with the power of a .357 magnum. The best magazines are 15 round GI types. Finding US surplus 30 round M2 magazines are very difficult. I have a lot of 15 round GI, but have yet to find a 30 GI mag. The repo 30 rounders suck for the most part. Common problems is that they spit out rounds when fully loaded with 30 rounds and they jam, don't feed right. No experience with the Korean 30 rounders.

300 BO, its the new hot lick. You can go light bullet and super sonic or heavy bullet and subsonic, very flexible from what I read about it. If I was to add a different chambering I'd go 300 BO to the collection myself.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    On the other hand, the M1 Carbine would be great as an addition the US military weapon collection, as well as making a great handy carbine for the wife/kids. I'd be tempted to get two and keep one original and put a scout rail on the second one with a red dot and flash light.
    In my emergency planning my wife or daughter get the Carbine. It has decent power but the recoil is not so much that they would be afraid to actually pull the trigger. Plus it is light so they won't get tired carrying it. I recommend the Carbine.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    In my emergency planning my wife or daughter get the Carbine. It has decent power but the recoil is not so much that they would be afraid to actually pull the trigger. Plus it is light so they won't get tired carrying it. I recommend the Carbine.
    Yeah but the ammo weights 2x as much as 5.56 rounds. Even light pencil barrel AR rifles don't recoil hard, they do a little more than a carbine but not much more. An extra caliber is a logistics issue. You can't share ammo between the M1 and an AR obviously.