Thread: Finally got the ARX-100 warmed up!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

Finally got the ARX-100 warmed up!

A good friend called and asked if I wanted to go shooting today. Seeing as how I haven't let off a round in over a year, and my amazing daughter is home for a few more days before her move to Texas (Sheppard's AFB) I couldn't resist.

The ARX-100 from Beretta is an amazing rifle, and today showed why it is so expensive. Technology and modernization aren't cheap. I decided to do all my rifle shooting left handed but sat on the right side of the bench. I set the rifle to eject right side, directly across my line of sight to see what would happen. It threw the rounds in to a neat pile about 15 feet out at the 2 O'clock position.

My daughter was shooting a PS-90 on the left side of the bench. Since it ejects straight down you don't have to worry about your neighbor getting pelted. We swapped rifles for a bit, and in less time to do than say, I pushed a button on the ARX and it was now a left hand eject, throwing the brass in a neat pile 15 feet left at the 10 O'clock position. Yes we shot it with the ejection in the wrong direction, but we proved that not only is it a snap to change the direction of ejection, the angle the round comes out shows it really didn't matter.

As for accuracy, I started shoot Aguilla .223 at the only range available, 50 yards and had no problem putting all rounds in about a 4 inch group. I was not trying for accuracy, just getting used to how it fired.

We ran about 400 rounds through it, switching ejection back and forth, and had no problems what so ever.

Great rifle.

More to come later, just got invited to dinner at a friends.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Sounds good, glad it seems to work well from a function point of view. Still interested in how accurate it can be with quality ammo fired from bench rest.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I didn't know you could change the direction of ejection with just the push of a button, what a cool idea.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Sounds good, glad it seems to work well from a function point of view. Still interested in how accurate it can be with quality ammo fired from bench rest.

Most here don't like this guy, however his review is in depth and the accuracy portion shws the results of a number of ammo types.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Oooh! Nutnfancy is not a fan.

I had trouble just getting through the first 10 min of the video waiting for some info on why he hated the ARX but gave up having no patience anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I had trouble just getting through the first 10 min of the video waiting for some info on why he hated the ARX but gave up having no patience anymore.
    Well, in summary he says;
    1. Over priced.
    2. Trigger pull sucks
    3. Grip shape sucks
    4. Grip being fixed and not modular sucks
    5. The sling swivel up by the gas adjustment sucks
    6. He wasn't impressed with the accuracy using any ammo from ball to 77 gr. match rounds.
    8. Not impressed with the quick barrel change on the whole. Gimmick was his observation with respect to caliber conversion.
    9. His test rifle had a problem with the bolt hold open not really holding the bolt back securely. it kept dropping the bolt group.
    10. He didn't like the magazine release and bolt release. He kept getting them confused, but liked the safety switch.

He prefers the Tavor over the ARX. He bashed that Beretta advertised it at Shot Show nearly 4 years ago before it really was for sale.

He did like the buttstock that folds. He says it is solid and is better than the SCAR stock because the comb line is parallel to the bore instead of angled like the SCAR. The SCAR stock punches you in the cheek under recoil was one of his observations. He also liked the reversible charging handle and switchable ejection.

Thank you for the summary, greatly appreciate that!!!

Over priced, isn't everything these days? Can't argue though it should be about $500 cheaper.

Trigger pull is in the finger of the beholder. Yes it is no Timney, but I can live with it.

Grip shape is funny and did take getting used to.

The grip is removable and just waiting for someone to make a slip in replacement in a more friendly shape.

There are 5 sling mounts on the rifle, don't like the front one, use another.

Can't talk about overall accuracy but I wouldn't want to be someone in my sights just shooting off hand.

Barrel quick change just makes cleaning easier. Can't argue it being a gimmick.

No bolt hold open problems on my rifle.

How can you get the standard AR-15 mag release mixed up with the bolt release on the trigger guard?

And finally, the beauty of all the variations and flavors of 5.56x45 semi-autos is if you don't like this, try that, if that doesn't work, there are a zillion more to choose from.