Thread: Range day Taurus PT709

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Range day Taurus PT709

Got the new pistol out to the range and put 300 rounds of cheap 9mm through it and zero cleaning. Got it pretty crudy, i had one failure to eject half way through the last box, shot number 275 or so. The rear sight had to be maxed out for elevation and would not hold position, had to re-adjust after every three mags, kind of frustrating, suggestions on how to fix that would be appreciated.

This target is at 5 yds before adjusting the sights, which didn't help cause they kept moving

Next is 10 yds and my attempt to use kentucky windage to figure out where this bitch shot

And last is 15 yds

My wife fired at least 100 rounds and got pretty comfortable with it, and for $300 bucks it will do for her needs...definitely not going to win any matches

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Sights kept moving you say. Are you talking just the rear sight? Is it dovetailed in a slot or is it just screwed to the slide top? The fowling I'm seeing I bet you were shooting Russian ammo. That stuff is really sooty.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I shot one of those a few years ago.

Worst trigger I've ever touched.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Sights kept moving you say. Are you talking just the rear sight? Is it dovetailed in a slot or is it just screwed to the slide top? The fowling I'm seeing I bet you were shooting Russian ammo. That stuff is really sooty.
    The sight assembly is dovetailed and held in place to the slide with a set screw, that hasn't moved. There are windage and elevation screws that move the 2 dot sight in this assembly. The windage screw stays put, but the elevation ramp that raises the sight keeps slipping back to the lowest setting. I'll take it apart and figure out how it works

The ammo was a variety of cheap brass cased, all under $17 a box at cabelas, magtech, independence, fiochi, winchester, and a couple others i don't remember

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I shot one of those a few years ago.

Worst trigger I've ever touched.
    Obviously you haven't fired a Raven .25 auto

It's definitely not a Glock, but the trigger did seem to smooth out a little by the end of the day

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

That was a lot of soot. The only time I see that much soot is when I shoot any of the Bear ammo. Might as well be cleaning a chimney.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Did you figure out the rear sight?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Did you figure out the rear sight?
    going to work on it this weekend after i get it cleaned up, working 14 hour days. In the office by 3 am home at 5 pm, eat dinner, play with the puppy and go to bed....ain't it wonderful being the boss