Thread: picked up a water damaged Cold Steel Talwar

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

picked up a water damaged Cold Steel Talwar

Picked this up for $18. packaging was crushed and water damaged. Can is bent and rusty and the cardboard sleeve is mucked up. Knife has a few rust spots but for the money I think its ok. it has san mai 3 steel. Blade is very heavy and sharp. Nice micarta grips. Came with a spare pocket clip as well. I am not sure if I will use this or clean it up and just hoard it in the drawer. Overall it is a very large and sturdy knife. It would have no problem field dressing a deer.

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I like the Talwars. I haven't seen that custom series version with what looks like aluminum and G-10. This might be a version from before I started following Cold Steel. I'm pretty sure they only make them with G-10 scales now.

Bottom line, any Cold Steel folder with the Demko lock-up for $18 is an awesome deal.

Current Talwar: http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-21T.../dp/B00BD4W1OK

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/TAL...AR_SERIES.aspx
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Clean it up box and all and put it up. Then sell it for fifty. If you wish.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Can you post more photos? I'm thinking that's a fake as I can't find that model on any sites/searches for CS but I did find a photo from a website know for Chinese fakes.

Yep it's fake. Cold Steel has it listed on their website. Sorry bud.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Counterfeit-Gallery.aspx
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 07-07-2015 at 01:28 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Can you post more photos? I'm thinking that's a fake as I can't find that model on any sites/searches for CS but I did find a photo from a website know for Chinese fakes.

Yep it's fake. Cold Steel has it listed on their website. Sorry bud.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Counterfeit-Gallery.aspx
    Those Chinese fuckers are smart. They put "Custom Series" on the label to reduce the chance of a customer questioning the differences in design.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Those Chinese fuckers are smart. They put "Custom Series" on the label to reduce the chance of a customer questioning the differences in design.
    Yep it sucks but for $18 it would be fun to see just how well it performs. I'd be careful of the lock and it might not hold an edge well but I'd be tempted to toss it in the glovebox or tacklebox and use it. Lost or broken is won't be a major loss.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

well win some lose some. I still like it. It clears up weather I am going to use it or put it away.

Yep it sucks but for $18 it would be fun to see just how well it performs. I'd be careful of the lock and it might not hold an edge well but I'd be tempted to toss it in the glovebox or tacklebox and use it. Lost or broken is won't be a major loss.
    Absolutely.

I've always viewed cheap knives as an opportunity to thrash a blade without having to feel guilty about it.

Everything seems decent on it. I am going to use it as a daily carry for a while and let you know how it compares to my Ontario RAT-1 that i normally carry.

Hey sell it as an original Chinese fake.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..