Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody here have a favorite source of silver bars?

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

So what is better to get? Silver coins of silver bars?
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I recommend coins as the purity and weight of the silver was attested to by a minting organization. Also, coins are easier to carry and parse out than bars if worse comes to worse and you need them for currency.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    For investment, what ever has the lowest premium over spot but is still easily moved, I like 10oz bars for this, sometimes you can find smaller stuff for cheaper.

If your a prepper , U.S., Canadian or British 1oz government minted coins and 90% silver dimes, quarters and half dollars. I think Canadian 1oz silver maples are the lowest premium government minted coins.

I would not buy bulk silver or gold right now, the markets are dropping steadily and have yet to find bottom, I think gold will stop around $1000 an oz, once gold steadies, I think silver will return to the $15 level for a bit then go back to the $20 range since that's around what it cost to mine and refine per oz.
    Last edited by Hatedbysheeple; 08-03-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Yeah I was thinking coins for carry just in case the world goes south!
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

With the price of silver lately, I hit a few gold and silver places around here. None of them had any silver for sale at the going rate, which tells me none of them want to take a loss on what they have in stock. I like the one ounce silver coins. Easy to barter with. I do have a 50 ounce bar. Really pretty....

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I use APMEX.com and I buy silver rounds - mostly their mint. I also have some quarter and half ounce rounds but not that many. I bought them thinking it would be handy to use them in SHTF...

My purpose is mostly financial SHTF - as a way of ensuring I have something of worth should the dollar tank.

I also have some Bitcoin just to annoy the anti-digital people on this board
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I don't have a favorite source, but I do have some favorite bars. I have a 1 ounce Gadsden flag bar, and a 1 gram "bar" with an AK47 on it. Damn shame I can't find that one in a 1 or 5 ounce bar.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    If you have a lot of money to throw at metal, it will make sense to have some bars in the mix. But I have caveats about bars as they could be fabricated mostly out of say zinc or some other cheap metal and coated with a thin layer of silver. A similar crime was foisted upon the Chinese, they bought some gold bars and they had a coating of real gold, but inside they were zinc or some other metal. Coins are a bit harder to fake correctly. Also in a barter/precious metals only world what are you going to buy with a bar? The whole city block? Who can make change for a loaf of bread you just bought with a bar of silver? Good idea to have coins that are easily recognisable as US minted by prospective trade partners and are worth less than the typical bar/ingot. Greece right now is running on barter, even corporations are doing it. Also see here;
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rofessors.html
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

APMEX is having a short time flash sale on 2015 American Silver Eagles (tube of 20) $2.99 an ounce over spot, lowest price over spot I have seen in a while, just snatched up 6 tubes. This will bring me up to 233 oz of 1 oz coins. I'll be buying Canadian royal mint 10oz bars from here on out in silver at least.

They are sold out now

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I'm really surprised that there's any silver available for sale at this market level... way below the actual cost to mine. Crazy.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I'dlove a source where I could receive a bar a week or something. You know, automatically. I just feel my 401k will be robbed at some point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12