Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK Pistols Yea or Nay?

AK Pistols Yea or Nay?

I recently had an opportunity to shoot a C39 pistol with a wrist brace. It was admittedly very fun. I am unsure of the utility of the platform but I think its on my list now. Some cursory research has revealed a couple options. The Century c39, the Draco series and the PAP series. Maybe there are others I am unaware of. I would welcome any and all comments from you in the know on this range toy. Does it have any actual utility? Which one is preferable and why? Other than the brace is there any aftermarket support? Is reliability an issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    As a range toy they are fine, but as a defensive or offensive weapon next to useless as they don't normally point easily, are very heavy although carry a lot of spray and pray firepower.

From all I have heard, they are as reliable as any full size AKM, but from my point of view, why?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Built a few back in the day when a kit was $110 with a barrel. Gives you the equivalent of a .44 magnum. Big mags, big muzzle blast, big fire balls. I could see it as an SBR donor weapon to make a Krink like weapon.

I like my MiniMe AK pistol, but as a pistol, it has a poor sight radius. I may add one of those sig braces just for fun, and never shoulder it because that is illegal...lol

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The mid size AK pistols are awesome. The arm brace would work well as a buttstock if that were legal but its not, so don't do it. You could though, just saying. And if you did it would be a badass SBR.

Also you can put a folding ar stock adapter with an AR pistol buffer and a shackwave blade stabilizer. That would rock.

I have a Draco and love it. I can't wait to be able to SBR it. A PAP would be nice also.

(this pistol is never to be shouldered)
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 07-17-2015 at 12:30 AM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Aside from being a range toy, the only real use I see is if SHTF a stock can be added easily and it could make a good truck gun.

"Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

They can be lots of fun. I have a draco that I bullpuped using a CBRS kit. No need for an arm brace. http://www.cbrps.com/Draco_w_drum_left.JPG

along with the other Ak pistols you could also look at IWI's Galil Ace in pistol for. They will initially come out in 7.62x39 with 308 and 5.56 to follow. All will have the arm brace option.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I highly recommend them, not practical but a ton of fun, at they don't cost any more to shoot than a 9mm. You only lose about 200 FPS from a 16" barrel, so it makes a little more sense than an AR pistol. I have a pap and a draco (although the draco has been changed to an underfolder rifle) I found both to be easy to shoot and off the bench they are about as accurate as a rifle.

Classic arms has the polish ones on sale

https://www.classicfirearms.com/poli...tol-7-62x39-io

Classic arms also has the Draco in stock with the arm brace for $550, and a PAP for $450.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ak47...-brace-package
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/papm92pv
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Is that a muzzle nut on the PAP? Can it be swapped out? Also, if you wanted to install an AR style buffer tube with an adapter instead of the brace that slips under the grip, could you?

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Is that a muzzle nut on the PAP? Can it be swapped out? Also, if you wanted to install an AR style buffer tube with an adapter instead of the brace that slips under the grip, could you?
    They all have muzzle nuts that are tack welded on, the pap is the easiest to remove and it uses a larger brake than the dracos that just have standard muzzle threads.

Physically it would be possible to rig up something with an AR buffer tube, but I don't know if it would be legal

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    They all have muzzle nuts that are tack welded on, the pap is the easiest to remove and it uses a larger brake than the dracos that just have standard muzzle threads.

Physically it would be possible to rig up something with an AR buffer tube, but I don't know if it would be legal
    As suggested by Funkypertwee
    http://www.kakindustry.com/shockwave-package-black

Not sure how this would attach. Obviously minus the buffer and spring. But these pistols look like they just have a flat piece of receiver at the rear.

As suggested by Funkypertwee
    http://www.kakindustry.com/shockwave-package-black

Not sure how this would attach. Obviously minus the buffer and spring. But these pistols look like they just have a flat piece of receiver at the rear.

AR stock adapters come in two forms: bolt on, and mounted under the pistol grip. Some can fold. The PAP requires an angled plate for the buffer tube to come out at a propper angle.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    AR stock adapters come in two forms: bolt on, and mounted under the pistol grip. Some can fold. The PAP requires an angled plate for the buffer tube to come out at a propper angle.
    So I would have to permanently alter the receiver by cutting off that back plate in order to install the adapter?
    Last edited by TEN-32; 07-18-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

My thoughts exactly. It's no trick for most home gunsmiths to add a stock to one of these.... and during SHTF conditions, nobody is going to be worrying about gun laws when you're ass is on the line from the get-go. I don't own one but I'm thinking about it... Like the versions as shown below with the dust cover sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    Aside from being a range toy, the only real use I see is if SHTF a stock can be added easily and it could make a good truck gun.

~Nemo me impune lacessit~

So I would have to permanently alter the receiver by cutting off that back plate in order to install the adapter?
    No.

In order to use the bolt-on buffer tube adapter on a PAP pistol (not the others), you would need a small wedge to go between the receiver and the stock adapter. A guy on the AK files sells homemade ones.

Here is CNC Warrior's folding arm-brace version of the PAP series. I think I would like it better with the shockwave brace we talked about previously.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/PAP-M92-SBx-p/26830.htm

My ongoing research led me here;

http://usmachinegun.com/

My WI CCW covers my AK pistol - I can keep it loaded in the car with me if I wish so. Not a rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast