Thread: open carry

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

open carry

What is the board concensus on open carry?

Personally I carry concealed in public and only open carry on private property. My reasoning is I do not want to advertise that I am armed, making myself target number 1. Also as much as it may be my right I know it's makes some people nervous and has also lead to some people doing stupid things when they see someone open carrying and I don't have time for that foolishness.

I feel people that open carry long guns are doing it for attention and the off chance they will be stopped by police so they can put a video up on YouTube, not for the reasons of awareness they claim. I think they are doing more damage than good by galvanizing people on the fence against firearms by carrying what the public considers scary guns. I believe they would be better served with side arms if their intent is actual awareness.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

I OC when we are in the hills.....in 'civilization', I conceal.........not everyone is of the same mind set that we are!
    Dan

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Add me to the list. Open carry has been legal in AZ for as long i can remember, my uncle used to carry a shot gun in a rack in front of the back window on his 1961 ford pick up, but that was back in the early 60's and was pretty common or at least of no concern to anyone. Only time i open carry is while hunting, hiking or at the range.
    I've been to rallies at the state capitol where everyone OC'd ( like those cause everybody brings out their purdy guns and fancy holsters ), but those were special occasions. I do respect your right to OC where you please, but not necessarily your wisdom in doing so in certain situations.
    I've always carried concealed when i'm out in public, even before it was legal to do so without .gov permission, which i felt like i didn't need and never applied for a permit
    Last edited by davepool; 07-17-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I've heard the arguments that OC can make you a target and that it can deter a crime from happening. My personal take is that I prefer the element of surprise that CCW affords as a trade off versus a possible deterrent. At 6'4", 375lbs I figure I have a little deterrent value without the gun showing. That being said I have no issue with anyone choosing to open carry. It should be a choice for all.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I open carry. Not because I feel it has any real distinct benefits over concealed carry (besides repelling liberals), but because I believe the laws surrounding concealed carry are a joke (Do criminals care about getting permits to carry? No. They do it anyways so why do we make it a hassel for the rest of us?) and as a peaceful citizen I should not have to pay to exercise my right to protect myself.
    If Ohio moves to adopt the same CC laws as Kansas, I will gladly conceal my gun. I'd actually rather conceal it. If you already have a CCW, there is no point in open carrying unless in protest or make some sort of statement IMO. Though making liberals wet themselves is a slight bonus.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    I OC when we are in the hills.....in 'civilization', I conceal.........not everyone is of the same mind set that we are!
    Dan
    This.
    Returns June 3rd.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    What is the board concensus on open carry?

Personally I carry concealed in public and only open carry on private property. My reasoning is I do not want to advertise that I am armed, making myself target number 1. Also as much as it may be my right I know it's makes some people nervous and has also lead to some people doing stupid things when they see someone open carrying and I don't have time for that foolishness.

I feel people that open carry long guns are doing it for attention and the off chance they will be stopped by police so they can put a video up on YouTube, not for the reasons of awareness they claim. I think they are doing more damage than good by galvanizing people on the fence against firearms by carrying what the public considers scary guns. I believe they would be better served with side arms if their intent is actual awareness.
    OC is only legal in SC while doing woods activities, but even if it were I would choose to conceal carry. I don't even want anybody to know what side I'm carrying on at the time.

I have open carried on private property plenty of times. Out at my dads we usually even bring a long arm out with us just on the porch.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    Dan
    Pretty much how I see it.

The open carry issue is really more about providing immunity from prosecution in the event someone's concealed handgun is inadvertently exposed while reaching up on a shelf to grab a box of cereal at Walmart.
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey