Thread: Ruger's New Precision Bolt-gun

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Ruger's New Precision Bolt-gun

Ruger just released details on their new Precision Rifle. It is a modular bolt-action rifle available in .308 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .243 Win. Its furniture is AR15/AR10 compatible, it has a removable barrel (with the help of an AR15 barrel wrench), and the .308 model utilizes DPMS/SR25-compatible magazines (read: PMags!). MSRP is a surprisingly low (by today's standards) at $1400.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...end-almost-ar/

Last edited by skorpion; 07-18-2015 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Added Video
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I like it.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Dittos, I like it too!

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

better than pof's pump gun for about 2/3 the cost?

My first reaction was "that looks hideous." I personally hate tube guns, but I also understand that's the traditionalist in me who views guns like this as chimeras speaking (it also doesn't help that I have lingering resentment to Ruger for the sins of their founder). The review from lowlight on SH is really positive, the demonstrated accuracy, caliber options and twist rates and the ability to take multiple mag types is impressive. This is probably going to be usurping the tikka t3 as the rifle I recommend to folks interested in getting into the precision rifle game.

Street price is around $1000. I expect these to be hard to find for awhile as they will be in high demand, and I also expect to see a lot of tactical Remington 700s flooding the used market.
    Last edited by Starvin; 07-19-2015 at 02:14 PM.

I think it's pretty cool but my 700 police will out shoot me and was only 650. Yes I got a deal on it. Mag system on the 700 is horrible though.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I've found them listed for $1050 new, but not in stock yet. http://www.kygunco.com/ruger-precisi...r-stock--96954

I'm thinking I need one of these for bench rest shooting. I've been thinking that that type of shooting might be kind of relaxing.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

FYI, 6.5 and .243 are both compatible with .308 magazines.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

with tax my price is $1062 out the door.

still kicking it around...
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I've found them listed for $1050 new, but not in stock yet. http://www.kygunco.com/ruger-precisi...r-stock--96954

I'm thinking I need one of these for bench rest shooting. I've been thinking that that type of shooting might be kind of relaxing.
    Modern benchrest shooting is a game for anal retentive people. Sure it can be fun but you'll end up purchasing more gear to make your handloads with than the cost of the rifle you're shooting the ammo through. If you get this rifle I would say to preserve the barrel and make it hold up to shooting as long as possible send it to 300° Below Zero and get it Cryo treated. You should get 2x as many quality rounds of performance out of the barrel over an untreated barrel.

Modern benchrest shooting is a game for anal retentive people.
    +1

I did it a few years ago , Spent $$$$ AFTER i bought the rifle. I got tired of it.

My biggest gripe is the folks who are "wannabe's" who think they have to have some big horrendous monster caliber platform made for 1000+ yards and they can't master the basics of handloading so their groups at 100-200 yards look like grape shot out of a blunderbuss at that distance.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I'm thinking of getting one sometime next year in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Modern benchrest shooting is a game for anal retentive people. Sure it can be fun but you'll end up purchasing more gear to make your handloads with than the cost of the rifle you're shooting the ammo through. If you get this rifle I would say to preserve the barrel and make it hold up to shooting as long as possible send it to 300° Below Zero and get it Cryo treated. You should get 2x as many quality rounds of performance out of the barrel over an untreated barrel.

Word.

If I do get into this, I'm going to take it easy and just enjoy relaxed, seated precision shooting. I have ZERO desire to impress anyone with my (lack of) skills or to spend big bucks trying to wring out an extra 1/8" of accuracy.

I'd go ahead and get .308 since I don't have access to a 1000 yard range or the skills to land a round at that distance anyway.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 08-12-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

cabelas had them on the rack 2 weeks ago when i was there. didnt even look at what they wanted for them.

Word.

If I do get into this, I'm going to take it easy and just enjoy relaxed, seated precision shooting. I have ZERO desire to impress anyone with my (lack of) skills or to spend big bucks trying to wring out an extra 1/8" of accuracy.

I'd go ahead and get .308 since I don't have access to a 1000 yard range or the skills to land a round at that distance anyway.
    Actually I like the rifle, seriously. However, IMO it would not be the platform to do modern Benchrest shooting with. You need a bolt gun chambered in 6 PPC which is almost a 7.62x39 case with 6 mm size bullet. Back in the mid 1990's LPUA and Norma stopped sending 6 PPC cases to the US for retail sales. Shooters in the sport would take 7.62x39 cases and neck them down with a set back to the shoulder to make a 6 PPC case. They favored the case made with the small rifle primer. Benchrest guys claim the smaller primer yields more accurate results.

On accuracy to be a contender your rifle has to be able to put 5 shots with center spacing under .300". To win you need to shoot .sub .250" down to the teens as in .190 or less center to center for all 5 shots. We are talking raggedy hole with no real visible lobes of any one individual round too easily seen. It totally becomes an equipment race first and an exercise in; wind, light and mirage reading skills.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 08-12-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Actually I like the rifle, seriously. However, IMO it would not be the platform to do modern Benchrest shooting with. You need a bolt gun chambered in 6 PPC which is almost a 7.62x39 case with 6 mm size bullet. Back in the mid 1990's LPUA and Norma stopped sending 6 PPC cases to the US for retail sales. Shooters in the sport would take 7.62x39 cases and neck them down with a set back to the shoulder to make a 6 PPC case. They favored the case made with the small rifle primer. Benchrest guys claim the smaller primer yields more accurate results.

On accuracy to be a contender your rifle has to be able to put 5 shots with center spacing under .300". To win you need to shoot .sub .250" down to the teens as in .190 or less center to center for all 5 shots. We are talking raggedy hole with no real visible lobes of any one individual round too easily seen. It totally becomes an equipment race first and an exercise in; wind, light and mirage reading skills.
    Thats some really good info. Never heard of that cartridge.

I don't intend on competing. I don't even have a handloading setup. I just think it would enjoyable and relaxing to shoot for accuracy from a seated position in the shade.

I think 6.5 creedmore is the new hot shit long range cartridge. I'd probably just stick with .308 for the cost advantage, considering that I'm not actually a long range shooter.

Either way, I've got several guns higher up on the short list.

Yes 6.5 Creedmoor is a hot newer round for High Power competition out to and including 1000 yards. I've looked at it and weighted out the pros and cons to having a rifle chambered for it, probably an AR platform vs. a bolt gun. But with the only range in reasonable driving distance only being 100 yards it seems impractical for me. I have .308 rifles but they aren't tack drivers; FAL and M1A.

Honestly a 6.5 Grendel can do all that a .308 can, consider that, it has the same ballistic path for the bullet. However, the 6.5 bullet is much better in BC than comparable .30 cal. bullets. BTW the 6 PPC is usually used at 100 and 200 yards / meters in Benchrest competition if my memory is recalling correctly. Search for National Benchrest Shooters Association. https://nbrsa.org/ never mind I did it for you. Check out this organization, maybe join it and get their magazine and read it. I picked up a lot of tips on accuracy, reloading for accuracy and tuning up weapons for accuracy from reading their mags. Looking at their web site they have different classes of firearm; Light Varmint, Heavy Varmint, up to Unlimited class at the top end.

Lastly, I'm not saying all this to talk you out of precision benchrest shooting or your point of it being interesting and relaxing. It can be, but nothing makes shooting quite as interesting as it being a competition vs. just practice. That's where I'm at now in my arc through shooting, done it enough that just putting holes in paper at a range is ... well boring to me. You're still young and experiencing these things as new. I think you should go for it, give it a try.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 08-12-2015 at 10:20 PM.