Thread: Raspberry Pi

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Raspberry Pi

Tiny computer that cost $40. I picked one up last week and have been using just the bare unprotected board as a TV box. (waiting for the case to show up in the mail from China) They are a pretty quick little device. The one i bought is the latest version with the quad core CPU and 1gb of ram. Anyone else have any experience with these? I was thinking of getting another one and setting it up with riscOS and using it as an alternative way to browse the web and chat on IRC. Overall impressed with the little thing. Wikipedia says it is the fastest selling computer with 65 million sold. I have to order online because none of the morons around here heard of it before. Understandable because i am in Canada. I have become used to people around here being a decade behind in most things. Computer shops would be still peddling windows 98 if Microsoft didn't discontinue and block it.

Check this little thing out if you get a chance. Multiple flavours of linux available for it which it installs itself once you set up the SD card with the base install system. Really simple to do.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i find it hard to believe that anyone has in the electronics business not heard of raspberry pi as of now.

i got an old one a while back. had a hell of a time getting it going, finally did, played with it for a few days, lost interest.

i have a long going project of building a pc based jukebox/boom box for the house, with a touch screen to select from the mp3's id load on to it. if i ever feel like messing ith this again, i think that would be a super simple and perfect fit for it. other than that, i can see it doing nothing else than taking up space until that.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    i find it hard to believe that anyone has in the electronics business not heard of raspberry pi as of now.

i got an old one a while back. had a hell of a time getting it going, finally did, played with it for a few days, lost interest.
    yep. Went in a few places, called a few more. only one place knew what i was talking about but didn't have anything for it. The last store i went into, "Toadco computers" The guy scrunched up his face and made fun of the name like i was asking for a pie to eat. Then went on to say "It can't be that popular if i never heard of it before" Absolute truth. The attitude around here is pure tunnel vision with a large portion of laziness. I bet the guy didn't even google it to find out what he was missing when i left.

For your older one have you tried the latest version of Noobs? mine was a snap. I had to click next probably three times and it was finished installing with the logitech wireless keyboard and mouse working and internet connected.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Never messed with Raspberry Pi but I do have about 10 Arduino's. Fun microcontrollers that you can make do just about anything.
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    For your older one have you tried the latest version of Noobs? mine was a snap. I had to click next probably three times and it was finished installing with the logitech wireless keyboard and mouse working and internet connected.
    i forget which os i put on it. it got it up and running easy enough by itself, connected to my giant tv and plugged into an ethernet cable, which really defeated the purpose of something small and portable to me. got the small touch screen for it, therein is where most of the problem lied. i finally got that working --with a "special" version of linux that i wasnt too happy with the interface for, which solved half of my problem of being tethered to the tv, but i also got a wifi dongle which would have solved the ethernet cable issue as well but could never quite figure that one out. it was certainly not "plug and play" as it was advertised. every version i tried had no problem auto detecting the wireless keyboard i had. said keyboard had a small touchpad for the mouse, so i never bothered hooking one up.

it is not the very old one, but not the latest. iirc the latest is the b2+ and i have the b2?? forget the actual nomenclature, but the last model before they upgraded the processor chip. i actually thought of getting the new one, but then thought, wtf would i do with it??

arduino, now thats much more my speed. not quite as complicated and more geared toward the hardware than the software. im much better with tangible things i can put my hands on, like transistors and resistors than heavy programming and coding.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Tiny computer that cost $40. I picked one up last week and have been using just the bare unprotected board as a TV box. (waiting for the case to show up in the mail from China) They are a pretty quick little device. The one i bought is the latest version with the quad core CPU and 1gb of ram. Anyone else have any experience with these? I was thinking of getting another one and setting it up with riscOS and using it as an alternative way to browse the web and chat on IRC. Overall impressed with the little thing. Wikipedia says it is the fastest selling computer with 65 million sold. I have to order online because none of the morons around here heard of it before. Understandable because i am in Canada. I have become used to people around here being a decade behind in most things. Computer shops would be still peddling windows 98 if Microsoft didn't discontinue and block it.

Check this little thing out if you get a chance. Multiple flavours of linux available for it which it installs itself once you set up the SD card with the base install system. Really simple to do.
    I've got a Model B+ V1.2 (512 MB of ram). The one you have is faster and better.

Still, it runs Linux just fine and it would make a great living room media player if I didn't already have one that I built a long time ago with a mini-PC.

I was actually on-line here with it a few months ago and took this picture while I was connected:

(click image for full size)

Want a speed tip? Set it up to just boot from the micro SD card, then switch over to a USB hard drive to run the main OS. Then you get much faster performance and not limited to 8 or 16GB or whatever size the SD card is.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil125 View Post
    Never messed with Raspberry Pi but I do have about 10 Arduino's. Fun microcontrollers that you can make do just about anything.

Cool! You do Arduino? So do I. I've also written a few libraries for it (check them out on GitHub): https://github.com/krupski
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Cool! You do Arduino? So do I. I've also written a few libraries for it (check them out on GitHub): https://github.com/krupski
    yeah I love mine. I use them to control Aquarium lighting, pumps, and I made a pretty cool 433mhz wireless Fireworks launcher.
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986