Thread: ATF Re-Classifies Certain Flares and 40mm Chalk Rounds as Explosives, Begins Confiscation

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post ATF Re-Classifies Certain Flares and 40mm Chalk Rounds as Explosives, Begins Confiscation

After today, it's all historical.

Once again... that site takes everything out of context.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Ok what is out of context?

They specifically name the M992 and where it falls in the explosive category.

For something created in 2010-11 , how did they get ahold of them in the first place?
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

full disclosure, i havent read the article, but....

how the fuck will they do that?? if chalk and flare rounds were not previously classified as explosives that means that they could have been bought freely and easily, ie. no record of who has them, so how can they confiscate them??

i have some 26mm flares in my closet. no one knows there there. i bought them f2f at a gun show. there is no record of me owning them. if the atf decides theyre illegal, how could they possibly confiscate them??

ill have to agree with hk this sounds fishy.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

It seems the article is based on a BATFE letter defining this 992 round which is an Infrared Illuminator parachute flare round for a 40 mm launcher. They are only for military and police an evidently are not overly visible without NV gear to see their wavelength of light as they burn. In the letter BATFE sates that because they are larger than .50 inches they are not considered small arms ammunition. Therefore they are classified as low explosives and require an Explosives license to purchase and store them. No Chalk rounds are listed nor are standard flare rounds, just these IR illumination military grade rounds. However, given how BATFE decided the Sig pistol brace if placed to the shoulder is a redesign of the brace and transforms the pistol magically into an SBR that constitutes a felony .... I can't blame the writer of the article from coming to the conclusion they have come to.