Thread: Century's new RAS-47

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Century's new RAS-47

I came across Century's new 100% US-made stamped receiver AK on AIM. No cleaning rod or bayonet lug, but this rifle would be a good candidate for trying out Magpul's line of AK furniture, IMO.

$600:

http://aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1CRI2250N

Born overseas and perfected in the USA, the all new 100% American made stamped AK, RAS47, is now available. Features a T shaped magazine catch, compatibility with AKM furniture, slant muzzle brake, side scope rail, bolt hold open safety, an enhanced dust cover and has standard AK sights. The RAS47 is coated with black nitrite and uses a new RAK-1 enhanced trigger group. Comes with two 30 rd. Magpul mags. and a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

Specifications:

Caliber: 7.62x39mm
    Type of Firearm: semi-automatic gas operated bolt
    Magazine Capacity: 30 round standard AK magazine
    Overall Length: 37.25”
    Barrel Length: 16.5”
    Barrel: 16.5”, 1:10 twist rifling, 14x1mm lefthand muzzle threads
    Weight: 7.8 lbs.
    Sights: adjustable front post and leaf rear sight
    Finish: black nitride barrel and receiver, fire control group; phosphated bolt carrier group
    Stock & Handguards: hardwood with oiled finish
    Features: extended magazine release, side optic mounting rail, selector lever bolt hold open notch

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I like the furniture it has. Reminds me of the FEG SA2000M I converted to standard cap and put a Ironwoods blond maple stockset on. It also had the black finish on the metal. Great looking combination of wood and steel.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

strangely i like the simplicity.

saw a NHM-91 locally today for a few dollars more but it was still butthole-fied. Had I not just spent $$$$ on a SMLE drill rifle and house renovations shit it would have come home with me.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes I too like the blonde wood, looks very Hungarian.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

kudos for an american made ak, but i still would like to see the cleaning rod and bayo lug. im gonna guess theyve deleted the buttstock cleaning kit as well.

Funny you say that Schuetz, the RAS was the last rifle in line to buy before I bought the AK63D.
    The fact of not having the bayo lug is the only reason I did not buy that rifle. To me it is a good rifle
    and is still on my want list.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i just confirmed, no provision for the cleaning kit and one of those "bolt hold open" notches in the safety. bleh.. not really a fan of the large mag release either.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

1. ^ This
    2. This. New production WASR's got outstanding reviews. The RAS... Not so much. For me, this rifle is a no. I love the idea of a 100% American made AKM, but Century just ain't doin' it right.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    1. ^ This
    2. This. New production WASR's got outstanding reviews. The RAS... Not so much. For me, this rifle is a no. I love the idea of a 100% American made AKM, but Century just ain't doin' it right.
    Interesting tests but I try not to run over my guns with my car and using on with sand pouring into the action isn't likely either.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

If SHTF, who knows what will happen to a rifle. It's always good to know your rifle can stand up to most anything thrown at it. And quite frankly, if you're not interested in getting the utmost durability, reliability, and ruggedness out of a rifle, why are you interested in an AK to begin with? Just my $.02.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

If SHTF, who knows what will happen to a rifle. It's always good to know your rifle can stand up to most anything thrown at it. And quite frankly, if you're not interested in getting the utmost durability, reliability, and ruggedness out of a rifle, why are you interested in an AK to begin with? Just my $.02.

AK operator's tests are fun and cool, but they have a sample of only one. Most of their guns in "season 2" have failed in some way, including the Zastava PAP rifles. I wouldn't call every AK on the market a failure expect the WASR. That would be silly.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Far from it. WASR was just one example. I chose it as an example specifically due to how unexpected it is to perform as well as it did VS. what should have been a very nice, affordable, reliable, American made alternative. DDI for instance also performed spectacularly. You're right, they only get one of each, however it's hardly an unfair representation. They give these rifles tests designed to make the weak ones fail, and in some cases (the sand tornado test) make every rifle fail at some point. It's just a matter of which ones do better. The Zastava PAPs (if i remember right, it's been a while) only had one real weak point: dropping them on the scope mount. While I'm sure this would potentially kill many AK's, the Serbian/ Yugo side mounts are particularly stout, which is only bad when you take into account how thin the receivers are. Otherwise (aside from being oddball specs) Zastava AK's are just fine.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Far from it. WASR was just one example. I chose it as an example specifically due to how unexpected it is to perform as well as it did VS. what should have been a very nice, affordable, reliable, American made alternative. DDI for instance also performed spectacularly. You're right, they only get one of each, however it's hardly an unfair representation. They give these rifles tests designed to make the weak ones fail, and in some cases (the sand tornado test) make every rifle fail at some point. It's just a matter of which ones do better. The Zastava PAPs (if i remember right, it's been a while) only had one real weak point: dropping them on the scope mount. While I'm sure this would potentially kill many AK's, the Serbian/ Yugo side mounts are particularly stout, which is only bad when you take into account how thin the receivers are. Otherwise (aside from being oddball specs) Zastava AK's are just fine.
    Thanks for the testing.

You really nailed it on the "just one example". The namesake of one of the now major auto manufactures, after opening a new plant in the USA and having an open house for reporters was asked why there was a car in the corner with a scrap tag on it. His reply was something that most manufacturers know, but don't live by. He said to the effect that if he sold 100,000 perfect cars and then one not so perfect, he would be getting phone calls and read articles about how bad his cars are. He didn't want that one questionable car to get out. Too bad the company that he built basically starting in his garage, Honda is no longer following his ideal since his passing.

Many people forget that mechanical things were built by human beings, and since humans are not perfect, we get items that just don't work as they should. That is why some people complain that their WASR is a piece of junk, and the next person can't understand it because his has been flawless after firing over 10,000 rounds.

Hard to pick and choose when you only have one chance at buying something that works as advertised.

Regardless, thanks for the nice video.