Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EM Drive- anyone heard of this? To the Moon In 4 Hours??

EM Drive- anyone heard of this? To the Moon In 4 Hours??

I've been reading about this as I saw a short article about it on Drudge. There is a lot of work to be done before any practical use but if it works, it will be a unique moment in history.
    It appears to be a propulsion system that does not eject any mass....it just has an electrically driven microwave source and the microwaves resonate in a somewhat conical chamber....producing....thrust!??
    http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/...stic-em-drive/
    CHOOT UM!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Well, looks like we have Star Trek's impulse drive... now we need warp drive.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Well, we better start re-examining all the meteorites for traces of dilithium. Because dilithium does not occur naturally on Earth.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

There was a recent story I read that we had a near pass by a meteorite; they calc'd the density on it and determined it was all rare earth and precious metals. They estimated the value at least 24 trillion dollars. This tech could go places.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

It will be interesting to see how long it takes to gain understanding of what is happening. I've got an idea this will work better outside Earth's field....enough so to totally confound scientists
    CHOOT UM!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

There was a recent story I read that we had a near pass by a meteorite; they calc'd the density on it and determined it was all rare earth and precious metals. They estimated the value at least 24 trillion dollars. This tech could go places.

Ah, but the introduction of all of that rare earth and PM's would increase the supply dramatically here... which means the value would drop - supply and demand.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I was reading at the link - they mention going to the nearest star system in 92 years... I think that would be idiotic as if they would just wait, development of new drives would allow them to make the trip much faster - so that the next mission would actually pass the first one up on the way... so why not just wait until you get a reasonable travel time like a couple of years?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but I'm sure Al Gore will declare this microwave radiation footprint will have a direct impact on earth's climate, causing us to experience globull warming yesterday, not in the future.

This technology has got to be regulated out of existence and Pres. Barak Inssein Hobama will guarantee the Fed. does exactly that.

It's time to start building a ladder to the moon so as not to affect the climate at all.

Technology? Technology? We don't need no stinking technology!
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

You'd need a really big catchers mit.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
    I've been reading about this as I saw a short article about it on Drudge. There is a lot of work to be done before any practical use but if it works, it will be a unique moment in history.
    It appears to be a propulsion system that does not eject any mass....it just has an electrically driven microwave source and the microwaves resonate in a somewhat conical chamber....producing....thrust!??
    http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/...stic-em-drive/

However, in 2010, Prof. Juan Yang in China began publishing about her research into EM Drive technology, culminating in her 2012 paper reporting higher input power (2.5kW) and tested thrust (720mN) levels of an EM Drive.
    The thrust is 720 MILLI-Newtons or around 73 grams.

I don't feel like figuring out a differential equation right now to get exact numbers, but if you had the engine thrust for free (that is, the engine and power supply had no mass) it could send probably a .22 LR bullet (bullet, no casing or powder) to the moon in 4 hours.

Now, considering that the engine and it's power supply DO have mass... quite a bit... especially compared to it's thrust... it could maybe fly itself to the moon in several..........

....months.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

We've had Star Trek "impulse" drive for decades. It's called a "rocket engine".

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but I'm sure Al Gore will declare this microwave radiation footprint will have a direct impact on earth's climate, causing us to experience globull warming yesterday, not in the future.

This technology has got to be regulated out of existence and Pres. Barak Inssein Hobama will guarantee the Fed. does exactly that.

It's time to start building a ladder to the moon so as not to affect the climate at all.

Technology? Technology? We don't need no stinking technology!

All you need to do is stack all the federal laws up and then climb the pile to the moon. It would reach with a lot to spare.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

To the moon in 4 hours? That's getting there almost as fast as Alice Kramden.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    To the moon in 4 hours? That's getting there almost as fast as Alice Kramden.
    Dating your self in time there Altarboy!

You got brakes?

How do you stop?

Idiot's.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
    You got brakes?

How do you stop?

Idiot's.
    im fairly sure they'd stop when they reached the moon.

i drew something up like this when i was 13..........

solid non mass phase space travel. YET how could the human body take such speeds.... answer= ain't no gravity out there to push against.

crash into the moon? ... simply reverse the engines based on a set time.

I had a 27 page theory on this, then I found out how cool boobs were.

But now I'm interested again (no homo )
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    i drew something up like this when i was 13..........

solid non mass phase space travel. YET how could the human body take such speeds.... answer= ain't no gravity out there to push against.
    There is indeed gravity in space. The only reason astronauts feel "zero gravity" (actually micro-gravity) while in earth orbit is because they are in a constant free fall.

Imagine that the earth was a perfect sphere with no hills or valleys. Now imagine climbing up a tall ladder or standing on top of a building.

Now imagine a rifle perpendicular to the earth (that is, pointed at the horizon). Also imagine there's no air resistance.

Now shoot the rifle. The bullet flies out and at the same time falls due to gravity. The CURVATURE OF THE EARTH falls away from the bullet as well, but the bullet hits the ground anyway.

Now imagine firing a more powerful rifle (higher muzzle velocity). The bullet will travel even further.

I'm sure you can picture that if the bullet is fast enough, the earth's surface will curve away from it at exactly the same rate that it's falling. So it's distance above the ground will be CONSTANT, it will be FALLING and it will never hit the ground.

About 90 minutes later, the bullet you fired will fall all the way around the earth and hit you in the back (so watch out!). That's called a "circular orbit".

Now fire the rifle with even MORE velocity. Now the bullet actually seems to climb up away from the surface of the earth because the earth curves away from the falling bullet faster than the bullet falls.

It will be climbing an imaginary "hill" and exactly 1/2 way around the earth it will hit the highest point and begin coming back down towards the earth's surface.

But, now since it's falling "downhill" it picks up speed again, reaches the bottom of the "hill" at the same point that you initially fired it and once again begins to climb up. The bullet traces a lopsided oval around the earth, the highest at one point and the lowest exactly 1/2 way around.

This is an ELLIPTICAL orbit.

Finally, fire the bullet faster yet and the bullet will climb away from the surface of the earth and NEVER hit the "top" of the hill. It will just keep going... it's too fast for the earth to pull it back, so it "escapes" the gravity well of the earth (guess what that's called... "escape velocity").

If there were NO gravity in space, the rifle bullet would fly in a straight line away from the earth no matter what the velocity was.

There is indeed gravity in space, and the gravity of the earth, at, say, the altitude of the International Space Station, is around 98 to 99% of that on the ground. Orbiting would be IMPOSSIBLE without gravity.

The real impact, should this develop into a usable drive, is that it is a 'fuel-less' system. As Roger has pointed out one of the biggest problems in spaceflight is the huge mass of fuel needed with conventional propulsion systems. The amount of fuel needed for travel ends up being the largest part of a spacecraft.
    If we can eliminate that weight AND increase potential speed it will be a game-changer.
    CHOOT UM!

Without Di-lithium Crystals we can't do this Jim. To reverse this craft with no fuel we will just shoot by.

'"Dammit Scotty, get it done!"
    Last edited by shorthair; 08-04-2015 at 04:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast