Thread: Corrosive Seller & Bellot 30 Carbine

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Corrosive Seller & Bellot 30 Carbine

Remember the thread about test firing my new M1 Carbine a few months back? Well after i did that video i gave the rifle a quick cleaning which included a wipe down and a couple patches through the barrel coated in rem oil.

I pulled the rifle out yesterday to show someone and it was growing brown moss inside the barrel. I cleaned it right after seeing that. Really good scrub and soaked in a ton of hoppes 9 then more oil and patches. Tonight i gave it another cleaning with the Remington Brand action cleaner down the barrel. It is similar to brake cleaner but more mild. I got 99% of the crud out and it looks like really mild pitting. Nothing that would bother performance. It might even be more crud remaining in the bore. The bore still shines other then the few spots that look like pitting. Tomorrow i am going to blast brake cleaner down the barrel outside in the yard so o don't stink the house up and then when it dries i will hose the rifle down with rem oil inside and out.

Just a heads up. Some of this foreign shit might be corrosive even if it is new manufacture.

Yes my box of ammo was brand new.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Sorry to hear that, call Seller & Bellot give them the lot number and ask them what is going on.
    Gripe about it and see what they can or will do for you. Damn that just sucks!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I gave them an Email. I am going to also see if they have a Facebook page.

Here is a picture of the box of ammo in question. I only fired about half of it.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    I gave them an Email. I am going to also see if they have a Facebook page.

Here is a picture of the box of ammo in question. I only fired about half of it.

I've been shooting S&B ammo through my GI .30 Carbine for years & never have found it to be corrosive in any way.

And WTF is with that $37.00 price sticker??
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I've shot the S&B ammo as well, never had a problem with it being corrosive. Still, being foreign made, who knows about their quality control? Czech surplus ammo is some of the most corrosive primed ammo in the world IMO, at least their 7.62x54R was.

is it possible that the powder caused some sort of mould? Or some chemical reaction?

Because the more i look at it the more it looks like a brown paste then rust. I have been looking at the first patch i put down the bore that shoved the goop out. Tomorrow i will put my endoscope down the bore and try and get a pic to show you

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Only S&B I've got is 44Mag.........you have interested me too!
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan Morris; 08-09-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    is it possible that the powder caused some sort of mould? Or some chemical reaction?

Because the more i look at it the more it looks like a brown paste then rust. I have been looking at the first patch i put down the bore that shoved the goop out. Tomorrow i will put my endoscope down the bore and try and get a pic to show you
    Hang on to everything you have as far as patches and goop. Is this the only ammo you have fired through it?
    Other than the standard warnings, there are no warnings about being corrosive on the box? I know you looked, just asking.
    This is weird.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have been using S&B for years, swear by it and have enough cases in the basement to make the news media have a major cow. Never had problems with it.

Where was the rifle kept? Is it possible moisture got into the barrel your last use. You said you ran a couple of patches down the barrel after the last use, is it possible something contaminated the Rem Oil you used?

even if you ran a few patches, theres still fouling that rem-oil wont clean up .

if you're not using a safe/container with some form of humidity control corrosion will occur within the fouling itself.

so that explains the brown paste, Really want to clean it up ? Buy some JB bore paste. Hardcore toothpaste for your gun.

I have guns that have only seen unique/bullseye loads and they produce some nastiness if you dont clean them 100% .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Question

I'm still curious about the price label on the box. I just bought a couple of boxes of that S&B ammo the other month & paid 24.95 per. A couple of years ago it was running around 20 bucks a box.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I'm still curious about the price label on the box. I just bought a couple of boxes of that S&B ammo the other month & paid 24.95 per. A couple of years ago it was running around 20 bucks a box.
    Could it be because RCI lives in Canada?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Perhaps. Ammo might be more $$$ up there.

that's $28.18 is US dollars.....
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Ahh-so....

So it turns out it is all just gunk. And it was only in the muzzle end of the barrel and stopped about a half inch before the muzzle. Weird gummy crap that when a dry brush is run past it, it rolls around in the barrel like bits that come off a white eraser.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I recently had a similar experience in one of my shotguns. I figured I left too much oil in the barrel and it carbonized when I fired it. I worked to get it all out and have not had an issue since, but maybe this is what you experienced?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

It may have been oil in the barrel but i generally pass a dry patch through before leaving the house with a firearm. I do store them with oil in then bore.

Update to the issue. I took the rifle out today and rapid fired five rounds of the same S&B ammo into the side of a shit pile then immediately cleaned the barrel properly with Ed's Red and then hopes 9 then dry patches till they came out clean then finally an oiled patch. The bore is back to looking like new. Just like it never happened.

Weird...