Thread: Car guys, get in here.

Car guys, get in here.

Want to add a cold air induction to my 4-wheeler, is there one better then the other like say AIR RAID or K&N or does it actually improve mileage and horsepower as they claim ?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

What ATV to do you have?
    Year, model and so forth.

K&N is way over rated, as is most gauze type filters. Unless it is a mainly street car, full race car or highly modified ( big bore, big head/s, radical cam etc. )car stick to paper filters for longevity. Gauze filters BETTER the dirtier it gets. Meaning they allow fine dust to enter the engine until they get dirty enough to catch it.

Anyways, cold air intake, cold air induction system gains are so minimal, they are not worth the cost IMO. Unless you have supporting modifications like big cam, big head, free flowing exhaust. You will feel very little. Mileage is minimal as well.

Save your money for the gas tank and oil changes.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I put a Volant CAI on my GMC 5.3 V8 canyon along with a magnaflow dual exhaust, horsepower gains are minimal, but it sounds good and the CAI box looks cool under the hood.

Gas mileage went down a little cause i can't keep from stomping on it

Sorry I meant 4X4 truck and not a 4wheeler ATV, trying to get it to breath better when off road, and yeah a magnaflow or borla is in the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Sorry I meant 4X4 truck and not a 4wheeler ATV, trying to get it to breath better when off road, and yeah a magnaflow or borla is in the plans.
    Oh, that makes a difference. Carburetor or fuel injection?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Oh, that makes a difference. Carburetor or fuel injection?
    It's a 2011 so yeah fuel injection, modern truck.

Ok it seems that you don't really want any help or advice because you won't give any details. Good luck with your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Ok it seems that you don't really want any help or advice because you won't give any details. Good luck with your problem.
    It's a fucking car and they're basically all the same so piss off I don't need your help, good god I'm talking about a filter and you want to be a jackass.

Go away you asswipe,, just asking about the claims of a product so you don't need anything more then that.

Bye. Lol.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

I have installed K&N filters in all my trucks and motorcycles. I really can't tell any difference...

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Dealing with cleaning and oiling the filter is a little time consuming and a bit of pain, but it seems to work well, i wipe a clean white cloth on the inside of the intake tube and it always comes out spotless, but my truck is not used for off road driving

I read all the HP gains to be had from the exhaust system and intake that were advertised and according to their claims , i should have bolted on an additional 40 horse power, i think that was a bit exagerated

Guns Network Contributor 03/2015 jakebrake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    I have installed K&N filters in all my trucks and motorcycles. I really can't tell any difference...
    put one on my 5.4 liter expedition years ago, and noticed a difference.

my wallet was considerably thinner...other than that, nada.

Waste of money. The oiled gauze filters let dirt through into your engine, and the intakes make it easier for your engine ingest water if you go through deep water.

I looked at getting one to put on a car years ago...I came to the conclusion after checking into it that they add no real value.
    FBHO