Thread: Never seen one of these before

Never seen one of these before

Not like I'm an AK expert or anything.

Interesting.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=499726006

BISHOP

is that thing demilled properly? I thought you had to use a torch and the cut had to be 1/4" wide or something like that

Hey I gots me a mig welder and a grinder.........

BISHOP

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

^That could work, but you'd likely warp the fuck out of it, assuming you didn't burn through it. Best bet would be TIG.

Either way, the receiver, depending on the date which is was demilled and imported, is very illegal. Has to be torch cut, and/ or have 1/4 inch of material taken out with each cut. However since this was saw cut it could potentially be welded back together, which is exactly why the ATFuckfaces made the 1/4" rule.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    ^That could work, but you'd likely warp the fuck out of it, assuming you didn't burn through it. Best bet would be TIG.

Either way, the receiver, depending on the date which is was demilled and imported, is very illegal. Has to be torch cut, and/ or have 1/4 inch of material taken out with each cut. However since this was saw cut it could potentially be welded back together, which is exactly why the ATFuckfaces made the 1/4" rule.
    This is my opinion on it as well. Should be torch cut, not saw cut. I wouldn't be surprised at all that this is BATFE putting that kit up for auction to "Entrap" some poor bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    is that thing demilled properly? I thought you had to use a torch and the cut had to be 1/4" wide or something like that
    Yes for the time. A chop saw was used for a while and the kits were/could be welded back together. Now the kits have to be cut with a torch at a lateral direction to insure
    they cannot be welded back together, there are guide lines for angles of cut and specifically what has to be cut.
    So my answer to your q is yes and I doubt seriously that it is ATF bait.

Remember the pics of them using chop saws in Australia?
    Last edited by l921428x; 08-12-2015 at 09:25 AM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    This is my opinion on it as well. Should be torch cut, not saw cut. I wouldn't be surprised at all that this is BATFE putting that kit up for auction to "Entrap" some poor bastard.

more than likely some dumb bastard trying to make a quick $$$ that doenst know any better.

Stamped F/A Ak receivers have to be torch cut OR crushed flat, most places are going with crushing when $$$ imported parts are invovled VS damaging things with the heat.

the atf doesnt waste time on small $ stuff cause it gets such a piss poor conviction rating.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Why would you waste time trying to weld something like this back up to correct dimensions when you can just drill a third axis hole in a semi AK? Especially for $1600?

I mean if you were to want to risk the club fed stay....
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

^Because Bubba isn't particularly crafty (can't hold the drill straight), and doesn't want to damage his already working semi auto rifle.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

The demill laws have changed over the years (already stated).
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Why would you waste time trying to weld something like this back up to correct dimensions when you can just drill a third axis hole in a semi AK? Especially for $1600?

I mean if you were to want to risk the club fed stay....
    Precisely what I think. My SAR1 would like the "parts kit" assuming IF they would work. I like my freedom.