Damn , i love this place

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...valley-7567524

but it's a dry heat

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

No thanks, you can have it.

I thought it got a bit warm yesterday.
    FBHO

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I used to hose down the house to help cool it off after sundown during the summer. The cinder block walls would just radiate heat into the house rendering the a/c ineffective.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    I used to hose down the house to help cool it off after sundown during the summer. The cinder block walls would just radiate heat into the house rendering the a/c ineffective.
    My bedroom and gun room are on the west side of my house and 5 years ago i planted two shade trees on that side that significantly reduced the interior temps, before that you could feel the radiated heat on the inside of the wall.

We got the trees free from our local utility provider. They started a shade tree program to help with utility costs, you signed up and they gave you a planting map on the areas around your house that would provide the most benefit and a choice of 12 different low water use desert variety trees to choose from.
    We upgraded to a more efficient AC unit at the same time and my summer cooling bills have been reduced over 100 bucks a month.

Quote Originally Posted by chiak47 View Post
    I thought it got a bit warm yesterday.
    We have a 500,000 sq.ft. hot tar re-roof going on right now with a bunch of new-hire rookies that are dropping like flies, even the old dogs are getting their asses kicked. Every morning we repeat the same mantra, HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE, before you start the day. If you wait till you start to feel the effects of heat stress, it's too late, your body will never catch up and you're going to fall out

I'm not to long off the roof to remember those days, i was on the roof 12 hours the day it hit 122, took 2 days to recover from that ass kicking.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I've been out in New Mexico & Arizona in the summer months when it's hit 115. You're right, it is a dry heat. Here in the Chi area now it's upper 80's with high humidity...I'll trade you.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I've been out in New Mexico & Arizona in the summer months when it's hit 115. You're right, it is a dry heat. Here in the Chi area now it's upper 80's with high humidity...I'll trade you.
    No way, i've worked in 95 degree 80% humidity before and it's murder. Out here all you need is a little shade and a fan to deal with the high temps, shade don't matter and fans don't work where you are

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Yep, the only thing that takes the water out of the air is AC. One of mankind's greatest inventions, along with beer.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Damn , i love this place

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...valley-7567524

but it's a dry heat

I was in Phoenix in the early 1970's and it was 107º F. Kinda warm, but not too bad. Actually, 90º in Buffalo NY is worse... because it's humid. Dry heat doesn't bother me one bit.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

This. Warmer and more humid than Georgia here in Sconsin. I still like it though. Cold is coming.

Another problem with areas like Phoenix, Tuscon, and Yuma is that, while it may be dry heat, you have to be extra careful in the objects you handle, esp. metal ones! The sun's intensity is so great that you can burn yourself so badly, if you grab the wrong thing, that you will develop blisters!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Yep, and driving a black truck is a bad idea, but damn it looks good

We have a 500,000 sq.ft. hot tar re-roof going on right now with a bunch of new-hire rookies that are dropping like flies, even the old dogs are getting their asses kicked. Every morning we repeat the same mantra, HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE, before you start the day. If you wait till you start to feel the effects of heat stress, it's too late, your body will never catch up and you're going to fall out

I'm not to long off the roof to remember those days, i was on the roof 12 hours the day it hit 122, took 2 days to recover from that ass kicking.
    You roofers kick ass, it's hot up there especially doing manual labor. I remember when it hit 122, I was in the shade welding a pipe on a stand and the sweat ran out of my hood like a stream; I couldn't hydrate enough, headaches and the feeling of being drunk.
    I have a mine job in Utah that I'm heading to on Monday. Hopefully that takes me to winter....

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Another problem with areas like Phoenix, Tuscon, and Yuma is that, while it may be dry heat, you have to be extra careful in the objects you handle, esp. metal ones! The sun's intensity is so great that you can burn yourself so badly, if you grab the wrong thing, that you will develop blisters!
    I just got done welding up a stainless steel roof on a powerplant in Tucson.... It was like a mirror up there.

Yep, and driving a black truck is a bad idea, but damn it looks good
    [/URL]
    White trucks are just as sexy....especially rocking the 37's...
    except the heat eats up tires like mad...
    f250.jpg
    FBHO

Black was the only color they had with the 5.3 V8, i keep it in one of those portable garages, so it's not like a sweat box when i get in it.

Nice truck, i really miss my "bigfoot" '79 F250 4x4, 460 cubic inches of badassness.....and 8 MPG on premium
    Last edited by davepool; 08-17-2015 at 01:32 PM.