Thread: S&W K38 or 686?

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

S&W K38 or 686?

I am in the process of selling my Taurus .357 revolver in order to replace it with something "Name brand". Local shop has a S&W 686 and a S&W K38. Anyone own either? I would like to have the ability to fire .357 but don't need it. In the 10 years i have owned my taurus i have fed it only a handful of .357 and a steady diet of american eagle .38 special.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Guns Network Contributor 03/2015 jakebrake's Avatar

I sort of own a k38 (sold it to my mother for protection....so) tack driver, amazing trigger, zero felt recoil.

owned a 686...regret selling it. tack driver, with an amazing trigger. and zero felt recoil.

of the 2, I honestly say go 686. can handle 357, easier to find, and, probably cheaper.

Thats the thing. The shop has a 686 for $700 and a K38 for $500. Both are excellent condition. If the prices were the same i would go for the 686.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Is there ANY form of handgun carry where you live? Like when hunting or camping? Is there handgun hunting up there? Can you even carry on your hip while at the range?

The extra weight of the 686 L-frame will make the gun more controllable, plus you have more ammo options. However, the K-frame carries much better and should weigh significantly less.

What configuration are these guns in? I'm guessing four inch barrels, since y'all have some kind of handgun size limit if I recall.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

The handgun limits are the barrel must 4.5 inches or longer. Only carry thas allowed is on club property. Fur trappers are allowed to open carry in the woods. My use for this would be indoor range target shooting only. So weight is not an issue as it will only come out of its case in the firing lane. Both of the guns in question have a 6 inch barrel.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You can always fire .38 spl through the 686 but not the other way around. It is a shame the price is so much higher. You could look for a used Model 66 S&W which are often police trade ins here in the US. I'd be looking at $300 to $375 for something like a used 66.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You can always fire .38 spl through the 686 but not the other way around. It is a shame the price is so much higher. You could look for a used Model 66 S&W which are often police trade ins here in the US. I'd be looking at $300 to $375 for something like a used 66.
    I would take a 66 for that price in a second. Doesn't seem to be any around.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    I would take a 66 for that price in a second. Doesn't seem to be any around.
    Ooh, a 66 is a sweet handgun.

I've got my dads old model 19 (with target hammer, trigger, grip) that I learned to shoot handguns on when I was 12, and it will always be one of if not my all out top favorite handgun.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 08-17-2015 at 11:07 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

This might help.

The 686 was S&W's answer to the Colt Python and later models like the Trooper Mark III.
    Those Colt revolvers would handle the .357 without the possibility of the forcing cone cracking problem, and the later Colt's like the Mark III through King Cobra were specifically designed for unlimited use of .357 ammo.
    The S&W "K" frames did have the possibility of cracked forcing cones, especially if used with hot 125 grain loads.
    This was largely due to the need for a cut on the bottom of the forcing cone area to allow the cylinder yoke to seat.

The 686's "thing" was as a strong police service revolver that would shoot full charge Magnum ammo with no trouble, and was in appearance and size as close to the Python as they dared come.
    The 686 excels as a service, hunting, and defense revolver, especially for Magnum loads.
    It will last about forever and is usually very accurate.

The S&W K-38 was S&W's answer to Colt's Officer's Model formal Target revolver series.
    The S&W was intended primarily to be used as a Target revolver for formal Match shooting, although some police carried them because of the better potential accuracy over a standard S&W "K" frame service revolver.
    Back in the day, the K-38 was a "cult" revolver in the LAPD and other California police departments in the days when they allowed 6 inch revolvers to be carried.

So, if you want a tank-strong revolver and might in the future want to use it for defense or just to shoot Magnum ammo, the 686 is the way to go.

If you're going to use it only as a range gun and don't intend to use Magnum ammo, the better potential accuracy of the K-38 would be an advantage.
    If you don't consider a 6 inch barrel on a home defense gun a disadvantage, the K-38 loaded with +P ammo would be an excellent performer.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

What model # is the K38? If it's a straight Model 14 rather than a 14-1,-2-3, etc. I'd go for it over the 686. Is it blued or nickel, factory stocks? Since the Model 14, (K38 Combat Masterpiece) didn't come with a 6" bbl I presume you were looking at a Model 14 (K38 Target Masterpiece)?
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 08-18-2015 at 05:21 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Here is a picture of the actual revolver i am contemplating.

The grips are obviously aftermarket. I am not sure of the model. He called it a "Nice old 5 screw"

OK, based on the photos that should be a pre- Model 14, K38 Target Masterpiece. The upper sideplate screw was deleted in 1955 so this one is earlier than that. I believe it has the 1\10th inch partridge front site which was omitted in 1952 so it must be earlier than that. Even with the after market stocks, provided it's mechanically sound with good bore I'd go $500 on it.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Throw some wood target grips on there and that would be one sweet revolver.

The more i talk about this one the more i want it.

The more i talk about this one the more i want it.
    Mines not as old as the one you are considering, IIRC it's a 14-2 or may a -3 but I love it!

I might be wrong about the front site on yours but with the fifth screw it has to be earlier than 1955.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Here is a picture of the actual revolver i am contemplating.

The grips are obviously aftermarket. I am not sure of the model. He called it a "Nice old 5 screw"

That is nice.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..