Thread: I choked on my beer

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I choked on my beer

Earlier this evening i blew another porcupine to smithereens with my Benelli using Kent number 6 fast steel point blank. It just about turned it inside out with one shot. So i was watching porcupine shooting videos and this one came up. I seriously choked on my beer at the end. the guys simplistic commentary at the end makes the whole thing.

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Earlier this evening i blew another porcupine to smithereens with my Benelli using Kent number 6 fast steel point blank. It just about turned it inside out with one shot. So i was watching porcupine shooting videos and this one came up. I seriously choked on my beer at the end. the guys simplistic commentary at the end makes the whole thing.

This guy looks like a total RETARD! What a fuckhead. Unsafe gun handling. TONS of shots just to take an animal down. He makes gun owners look bad. I wonder if he's mentally disabled by the way he makes utterances (that's not 'talking' that I'm familiar with)....

i counted 15 shots. But they do hang on even after they are dead sometimes.

Personally I wouldn't be shooting my gun way up like that there is no back stop. As well judging from how many shots it took before it fell I don't think he is Davy Crocket which makes me wonder where did all the other rounds end up? Seems dumb just to blast a porcupine.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Personally I wouldn't be shooting my gun way up like that there is no back stop. As well judging from how many shots it took before it fell I don't think he is Davy Crocket which makes me wonder where did all the other rounds end up? Seems dumb just to blast a porcupine.
    I am sure he did it just for the video. There are plenty of places around here that there is absolutely nothing for miles and miles. It would be pretty safe shooting a 9mm pistol in the air like that in those areas. I normally have a shotgun on hand. Not a pistol. Safer and draws zero attention.

Send me a quill!! Can ya? No kidding.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    yep i can do that. The one i shot last night is pretty messed up and is most likely gone but i will get you some quills
    Last edited by rci2950; 08-22-2015 at 05:10 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Ok my question is; why would you shoot a Porcupine in the first place? Don't get me wrong I am not opposed to hunting, I've hunted; deer, doves, quail, squirrels and ground hogs (you probably call them Marmots). But all of these I was eating afterwards, yes even the ground hogs.

here, they destroy trees at an alarming rate.

they eat the bark and disease sets in rather quickly. our game commission introduced fishers years ago to keep the population down, see the fishers once in awhile BUT sometimes it's nothing to see 20-30 of these spiny bastards walking along the road at night in one area.

if you're going to shoot something, make it one shot and done VS being a fucking moron.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Few years ago my springer spaniel got into one when we were hunting and i made it my mission to kill every one of them that i come across. Its a pretty sad scene when your dog is reduced to a screching mess on the ground. Because of an over grown rat. skunks get the same treatment

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Learned something new, i didn't know they could climb trees

Few years ago my springer spaniel got into one when we were hunting and i made it my mission to kill every one of them that i come across. Its a pretty sad scene when your dog is reduced to a screching mess on the ground. Because of an over grown rat. skunks get the same treatment
    My Dad grew up in Northern MN back in the day when MN was wilderness and had to frequently deal with this same issue, i.e., dogs injured by Porcupines. One of the few animals that will kill a Porcupines is a Fisher Cat. I once saw Fisher Cat in the woods here in WV but I believe they are more common in colder climates. I know what you mean when you say you have a mission to kill them. Several years ago my wife paid a lot of money to have a large number of apple trees planted. I looked out the window a few minutes later and saw a groundhog up on it's hind legs girdling a newly planted tree. At that moment war was declared. My mission was to kill groundhogs. I learned one thing from the war on groundhogs. The Federal 9mm 124 grain HST does a lot of damage. A 9mm may seem like a strange round for a groundhog but in a carbine you get pretty good stopping power with minimal sound.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    My Dad grew up in Northern MN back in the day when MN was wilderness and had to frequently deal with this same issue, i.e., dogs injured by Porcupines. One of the few animals that will kill a Porcupines is a Fisher Cat. I once saw Fisher Cat in the woods here in WV but I believe they are more common in colder climates. I know what you mean when you say you have a mission to kill them. Several years ago my wife paid a lot of money to have a large number of apple trees planted. I looked out the window a few minutes later and saw a groundhog up on it's hind legs girdling a newly planted tree. At that moment war was declared. My mission was to kill groundhogs. I learned one thing from the war on groundhogs. The Federal 9mm 124 grain HST does a lot of damage. A 9mm may seem like a strange round for a groundhog but in a carbine you get pretty good stopping power with minimal sound.
    Most of the time i bring a long barrel shotgun with me. Around here you can have that with you all year long. This is what most have been taken with. I have also steered into a few while driving. Last one i hit sounded like what a pair of sneakers tied together by the laces would sound like passing under a VW golf with 4 inches of clearance.
    Last edited by rci2950; 08-26-2015 at 03:35 AM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Most of the time i bring a long barrel shotgun with me. Around here you can have that in your trunk 24/7. This is what most have been taken with. I have also steered into a few while driving.

Could you cruise around with a mossberg 590 in your trunk?

Can you use a firearm in self defense if presented with the threat of firearms related injury?

I know if SHTF hard enough, you won't be giving a shit anyway.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Could you cruise around with a mossberg 590 in your trunk?

Can you use a firearm in self defense if presented with the threat of firearms related injury?

I know if SHTF hard enough, you won't be giving a shit anyway.

The RCMP see a long barrel shotgun like a wingmaster as a non threat if they stopped you, but the 590 with the short barrel and bayonet lug would get you more attention then you wanted.

On the self defence thing, if you killed someone with it and they had not shot at you first and you were not in the country... For example downtown in a major city and you whipped out your Remington Wingmaster then you would be in some hot water.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    I got you some couple hours ago. Cleaning them up now. Will be in the mail monday.