Thread: Moment of weakness from my gun buying sabbatical. Ruger 44 Magnum

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Moment of weakness from my gun buying sabbatical. Ruger 44 Magnum

Edit: Looks like from the serial number it was made in 1982.

I bought this on Sunday. The price was too good to pass. $250 cash, personal sale. It spent the last 15 years in a crappy zipper gun case and has some slight rust pitting on either side of the barrel near the muzzle only. This will be easily rectified. Bore is perfect and function is perfect. Rifle has seen very little use. Most of its existence was closet time.

Here is the only flaw, either side of the barrel. This is just on the outside.

It came with this nice leather sling. Its in good shape. I am going to keep it on there.

The case was all falling apart so i left it with the original owner to put in the bin.
    Last edited by rci2950; 08-25-2015 at 06:31 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Great score! Those are getting a little hard to find around here. I would love to have one of them.

How hard is it to find .44 Mag ammo up there?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    How hard is it to find .44 Mag ammo up there?
    Not hard at all. Seems to be in all the more established shops. Couple of the gunshops within driving range of here offer custom made hand loads as well. Would be the best way to get started on this one i think. I have bought them before for 32 Winchester Special and 7.5 Swiss. They are high quality, made with new brass with your choice of bullet.

I am curious to the material the barrel is made out of. The bluing looks more like some form of anodizing. I may just attempt a quick fix by touching it up the pitting with a sharpie. Until i figure out how to properly get that refinished.

That's a really nice looking rifle you scored buddy. Are you going to put a scope on it? How much ammo does it hold in the mag?

Been a while since I have had one in my hands but IIRC it was 4+1. I love the Ruger Carbines.
    Now he needs a Ruger .44 revolver. 250 sounds like a decent deal, was it surface rust and or with pits?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Congratulations! Looks like a 10-22 except in .44 Mag, is that about right?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    That's a really nice looking rifle you scored buddy. Are you going to put a scope on it? How much ammo does it hold in the mag?

I was thinking of doing that. It would look pretty sharp. It is factory drilled for a scope mount so it would be no problem. Mag holds 4 + 1. That is perfect for me. It is a rifle i will be using in the woods so any more then that and mr game warden gets concerned when he see it.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Been a while since I have had one in my hands but IIRC it was 4+1. I love the Ruger Carbines.
    Now he needs a Ruger .44 revolver. 250 sounds like a decent deal, was it surface rust and or with pits?
    It doesn't even really look like pits just like the barrel coating came off in spots. The coating is almost like a plastic paint. Its not bluing. I am going to email Ruger and ask what it is,

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Congratulations! Looks like a 10-22 except in .44 Mag, is that about right?
    Yes almost exactly. Except it has a tube mag and a rotating bolt. It would be really nice if this rifle could be fed while shooting like with a shotgun. The way the magazine is set up looks like you can.

I notice that the sling swivels are aftermarket. The place the guy decided to add the one on the for end of the stock is dumb. It prevents the barrel band from being removed. I had to unscrew the swivel to get this thing apart. I gave the trigger mechanism a really good cleaning with "Remington Action Cleaner" and it is now sitting with a heavy coat of Rem oil on it. I will give it a wipe down before putting it back to gather. The trigger gear looks like it has seen very light use. The face of the hammer has little to no wear on the spot that hits the aft end of the firing pin. It is barely broken through the bluing. Today i will work on cleaning the bolt and mag assembly. Overall looks like a new rifle internally.
    Last edited by rci2950; 08-26-2015 at 03:28 AM.

$250 cash

that's $188 US Dollars...

Geeez, you can't even touch these used around here for under $600. Cant hunt with them but they've always commanded a steep amount.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    that's $188 US Dollars...

Geeez, you can't even touch these used around here for under $600. Cant hunt with them but they've always commanded a steep amount.
    You can't hunt deer with them where you live? In MD, you can hunt deer with a .357 Mag. carbine on up, and with handguns from .357 Mag on up as long as the barrel is 6 inches or longer.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

No semi's for hunting, Except a small period you can use a semi shotgun but 3rd total limit ( turkey/birds )

the other model that's lever operated is pretty popular since you can use that but they're usually $100-200 more.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

No semi's for hunting, Except a small period you can use a semi shotgun but 3rd total limit ( turkey/birds )

the other model that's lever operated is pretty popular since you can use that but they're usually $100-200 more.
    Ahhh. Okay. Makes sense now. (Not the law, but your reason for saying what you said.)

Freedom isn't free.

That sucks. Semi is allowed here for hunting but limited to 5 shots. Calibre for hunting has to be over .23 in diameter for deer. Coyote is anything you want. Birds can't be with a single projectile. Thats all it stipulates.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

That'll put the hurt on those porky pines