Thread: Got me a Chinese Drum on the cheap

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Got me a Chinese Drum on the cheap

Dirt cheap. Bought 200 rounds of x39 and my lgs owner just threw it in for free. Simply because it's rusty as fuck, no one will buy it as is, and he's too lazy to clean it up. Time to disassemble and get to work with vinegar!
    Last edited by Aggressive Perfector; 08-28-2015 at 03:41 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Soaking in vinegar and water (50/50) really made rust removal easy, however the metal is now completely bare and rust colored. Not a total loss, as the blueing was absolutely shot. Will polish to the best of my patience and use some "rust preventative" matte spray paint to follow up.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 02/2013 s15v8's Avatar

need to show some pictures, is it a 75rd or 100rd?

I did take some pictures with the cell phone, but quite frankly my phone is beyond out dated and the pictures alone were as ugly as the condition of the mag. I will have some up after it gets done with paint and I find my wife's Nikon camera.

ETA: I believe it's 65, thought only the Russians and Romanians did 75's.
    Last edited by Aggressive Perfector; 08-28-2015 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    I did take some pictures with the cell phone, but quite frankly my phone is beyond out dated and the pictures alone were as ugly as the condition of the mag. I will have some up after it gets done with paint and I find my wife's Nikon camera.

ETA: I believe it's 65, thought only the Russians and Romanians did 75's.
    You don't have a normal camera anywhere in the house? You only have your cell phone as a camera?

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Hit up Kijiji man. $35 will get you a rockstar of a camera if you look hard enough. We have like 6 or 7 from there. My wife is into photography and cameras to her are what guns are to me.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

My wife has a digital camera. Somewhere. Any pictures of my guns I have on here were taken with it. Me... I have one on an old cell phone. Never did take a lot of pictures. And as for how to get a real good and clear one without glare... I'm as clueless as a blind straight man walking into a gay bar. Maybe if I would at least get into the 21st century and buy a smart phone it would have a decent camera.

We all know what a Chinese drum looks like... Now picture it with rust like this inside the mag tower & covering roughly 50% of the outside. It's pitted.

ETA: RCI, I don't believe any "Kijiji" stores exist in 'Merica. Looks like a Canadian thing. I will surely keep an eye out for a "rockstar" of a camera for sub $50 however, as it seems I'll need it with this crowd. lol
    Last edited by Aggressive Perfector; 08-28-2015 at 03:40 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

First off Chinese made 75 and 100 round wind up drums. 75's were as far as I know (owned 1) trouble free. 100's, (never owned) I have read about issues with them. If it was my drum I'd put it in my blast cabinet and spray off the rust. Then I would apply K-Phos as a base coat and lastly I'd spray on some Satin black Gun Kote and bake that sucker at 320°F for about an hour to set the finish.

^I'm a little late seeing your post, but I already went and did a thick matte black "rust preventative" Krylon spray paint externally and simply applied a light coating of LPS Rust preventative internally. If rust starts coming back I will borrow my dads sand blaster/ bead blaster and give your method an attempt.