Thread: Need Help With Stoeger Coach Gun Problem

Need Help With Stoeger Coach Gun Problem

Today I went out to shoot my Stoeger Coach gun. I loaded two round of Seller and Bellot #4 buck. When doing so it seemed that the shells were slightly undersize to the point that I checked to verify they were marked 12 gauge. I fired two rounds and then attempted to reload. Upon breaking the action I found the extractor locked and the primers on both shells were halfway backed out. I had to remove the shells with a ramrod. I then reloaded one round (different brand of buck shot) in the left barrel and fired it. Again the extractor would not operate. I removed the shell using a ramrod and then took the shotgun apart for inspection. Everything looked normal. On attempting to reassemble the gun I ran into a strange problem, i.e, i could not assemble the barrel to the receiver. I would put the hook on the barrel into the receive and try to close the barrel. The barrel would not close and upon applying a lot of force the barrel hook would slip off of the pin (for lack of a better word) in the receiver. My thought was the Seller and Bellot rounds had ruined my gun but somehow after about 30 minutes of trying to put the barrel on the receiver (over and over) the barrel somehow locked into place. I then had to force the front grip into place. However after somehow getting the gun assembled I can now take it down and reassemble it without a problem. I am baffled at this point as to what caused the problem. My explanation here is probably lacking in clarity but any theory as to what caused the problem with my gun would be appreciated. I don't think I will be shooting anymore of the Seller and Bellot rounds any time soon.
    Last edited by jet3534; 09-09-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Are they 3" shells - shooting in 2 3/4" chambers? I figure you would've checked that but...

Could just be that the shells were out of spec. Sure sounds like it. May have pushed the parts out of spec until you pushed them back with your assembly efforts.

Hard to tell without seeing it.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Thanks for the input. I will have to check. The box says 2 3/4 but I did find a comment on the Internet about Seller and Bellor 2 3/4 #1 Buck being too long.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Not sure about the assembly issues but rough chambers could cause the shells to stick. Since you said the shells seemed undersized and the primers were backing out as well as the shells sticking i'm thinking the chambers are actually oversized. The brass head is swelling to try and fill the chamber. This is stretching the primer pocket and the pressure is unseating the primers.

If it were mine it would be on it's way back to Stoeger. I would not fire it again.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Wow. Scary thread. Let us know how it turns out.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I have no good ideas what went down on your shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Wow. Scary thread. Let us know how it turns out.
    I should have mentioned I have had this gun for 10 years with no problem ever until today. I will shoot it tomorrow and see what happens starting with trap loads which have always worked in the gun. Needless to say I will be wearing eye protection.

Looking at the exploded parts diagram I can see that one of what I believe are the cocking levers was in the cocked position when I first broke down the gun down and somehow I managed to uncock it. In the hammerless Stoeger the action cocks when the gun is closed and if I understand how this action works both firing pins should be uncocked when the action is broken open. With that being, said my knowledge of gunsmithing is minimal with the exception of the AK which seems almost intuitive with respect to replacing parts -- or at least it became intuitive after gleaning a lot of knowledge from this forum back in the old day.
    Last edited by jet3534; 09-09-2015 at 07:13 PM.

I have some older Seller and Bellot 00 buck shot that are 2/34 and they won't fit into my Saiga drum because they are longer than birdshot shells.

BISHOP

Well today I tested my shotgun with the most powerful ammo I have -- Nobel's buck and ball (which has one .65 ball and six #1 buck at 1300 fps). It shot fine with no problem so whatever the problem was it was caused by the Seller and Bellot ammo - an issue I will report to their quality control web page. I shot the nobel ammo at my swinging groundhog high powered rifle target and the groundhog part of the target was knocked off of the frame - something a 45-70 will not do at close range. I am not recoil sensitive but my shoulder feels like I just shot some 3 inch magnum loads. The Nobel ammo would be deadly in a self defense situation.