Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama Targets Hospital in Afganistan

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Obama Targets Hospital in Afganistan

As Commander in Chief, responsibility for ANY military action falls squarely on his shoulders. The CMSM is claiming it's a mistake and chalks it up to collateral damage.

My first guess, after I heard the US was doing the bombing, was that the hospital was treating mostly Christians. I could be wrong.

IF this is the case, then it stands to reason that Obama is more than happy with the results.

Even if not deliberate, the US was very slow in stopping it once it was brought to their attention. This kind of reminds me of Benghazi a little.

"Frantic MSF staff phoned military officials at NATO in Kabul and Washington after the attack, and bombs continued to rain down near the medical facility for nearly an hour, one official from the aid group said."

http://news.yahoo.com/hospital-hit-t...VfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Maybe Hussein O is trying to copy Putin and decided to carry out his own agenda while claiming to be hitting Taliban forces.
    Last edited by alismith; 10-03-2015 at 12:27 PM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Your article doesn't say it was our airstrike but that it might have been. Also if you read the article it says they reported the incident to NATO, not the U.S. Common sense would suggest a lag between the wrong people they called passing the info on to the right people.

What makes you think there would be mostly christians in this particular hospital? Afghanistan has virtually no Christian population outside of foreigners. I think your assumptions are quite a stretch
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Your article doesn't say it was our airstrike but that it might have been. Also if you read the article it says they reported the incident to NATO, not the U.S. Common sense would suggest a lag between the wrong people they called passing the info on to the right people.

What makes you think there would be mostly christians in this particular hospital? Afghanistan has virtually no Christian population outside of foreigners. I think your assumptions are quite a stretch
    The article, and title, said the US led the airstrikes. The title says it was a US airstrike.

The rest was pure conjecture on my part based on how this administration acts towards terrorists.

I did say I could be wrong....

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    The more I think about drones used for military missions the more I do not like them. They allow us to conduct war without cost (in human terms) to us while exacting high costs on our "enemies". War should cost, on both sides, so that we only engage in it when absolutely necessary. What we are doing with drones allows us to carry on perpetual warfare with no cost as to human suffering but only on economics. I do not buy into the whole "military industrial complex" but in this case I believe this is what is driving this.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I have been hearing some reports about this. I am beginning to wonder if false information was given to our intelligence services to get us to attack that area so that it could then be used against us. With so little information available just now it is hard to know.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    There are reports on the BBC stating there were Taliban hiding in the hospital. Still killing good people just to get a few bad is wrong in my book.

Other possibility, Taliban bomb in hospital timed to make it look like a hit from an air strike?

Don't be going places you don't belong.
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I see it being reported that Doctors Without Borders is claiming the bombing is a war crime. I mean come on, you're in the middle of a war zone and you get accidentally bombed, how is that a war crime? You go to dangerous places and regardless of your mission, shit happens.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I see it being reported that Doctors Without Borders is claiming the bombing is a war crime. I mean come on, you're in the middle of a war zone and you get accidentally bombed, how is that a war crime? You go to dangerous places and regardless of your mission, shit happens.
    The liberal mindset is that if non-combatants are killed, no matter what the reason, it is a war crime if the weapons were fired by US or US backed forces. The correct mindset should be to win, as we had in WWII. Civilians were not targeted, but if they were supporting the war effort in some way, their deaths were considered progress towards victory. Again, I go back to the human cost of war. If the only people being killed are the people who volunteer to join the military and fight the nation does not see the cost of war and will all it to go unchecked (for the most part). When the place where fighters are holed up is in the middle of a neighborhood, school, church/mosque, or hospital and the people allow that, they should expect that civilians will be casualties. This is a cost of war. We have come to a point where we are not willing to extract nor pay the cost, and we have found ways around it, which is why we see war perpetuate with no winner or loser, it is only stopped when one side runs out of money.

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    The liberal mindset is that if non-combatants are killed, no matter what the reason, it is a war crime if the weapons were fired by US or US backed forces. The correct mindset should be to win, as we had in WWII. Civilians were not targeted, but if they were supporting the war effort in some way, their deaths were considered progress towards victory. Again, I go back to the human cost of war. If the only people being killed are the people who volunteer to join the military and fight the nation does not see the cost of war and will all it to go unchecked (for the most part). When the place where fighters are holed up is in the middle of a neighborhood, school, church/mosque, or hospital and the people allow that, they should expect that civilians will be casualties. This is a cost of war. We have come to a point where we are not willing to extract nor pay the cost, and we have found ways around it, which is why we see war perpetuate with no winner or loser, it is only stopped when one side runs out of money.
    General George S Patton knew how to fight, and win, a war.

(Paraphrasing his words loosely here.) "You don't win a war by dying for your country; you win a war by making the other poor bastard die for his country."

Freedom isn't free.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Funny that he has targeted hospitals here in the USofA but he is using this stealth bomber known as obama-care to do it.

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

o could care less, anyway, it was Bush's fault!

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Doctors Without Borders is a radical leftist organization, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were providing medical support to the Taliban. By their own policy, they do not turn anyone away. It stands to reason that if you do not turn anyone away and you are operating in a Taliban controlled area, then you are treating Taliban. At a minimum, I believe they are lying about Taliban operating from their hospital. It is very likely they were acting as Taliban medics.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    It wasn't a drone, it was an AC-130.

The more I think about drones used for military missions the more I do not like them. They allow us to conduct war without cost (in human terms) to us while exacting high costs on our "enemies". War should cost, on both sides, so that we only engage in it when absolutely necessary. What we are doing with drones allows us to carry on perpetual warfare with no cost as to human suffering but only on economics. I do not buy into the whole "military industrial complex" but in this case I believe this is what is driving this.
    I disagree. Drones are invaluable for ISR missions and even limited CAS.
    I also do not agree on your rationale of it being "necessary" to have a human in the bird. That mindset seems to allude to unmanned drones being "unfair", however there is nothing declaring it as such aside from a marginal interpretation of an ancient "chivalrous code" to warfare. We can't keep our enemies even remotely within the well-defined LOAC, much less arbitrary notions of fairness.

However, contrary to popular belief, the human cost is generally still there with these aircraft as outside of the niche market of CIA and similar OGA use there is almost always a FAC on the ground with a team or unit of some sort calling the shots.

There was a team on the ground at the hospital in question green lighting the strike for whatever reasons they had at the time. I wasn't there, but having been in many seemingly similar situations before I try not to armchair quarterback those type of things. Interpreting these situations is vastly different when being discussed from your living room versus being 300 meters away with machine guns being fired at you.

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    Doctors Without Borders is a radical leftist organization, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were providing medical support to the Taliban. By their own policy, they do not turn anyone away. It stands to reason that if you do not turn anyone away and you are operating in a Taliban controlled area, then you are treating Taliban. At a minimum, I believe they are lying about Taliban operating from their hospital. It is very likely they were acting as Taliban medics.

Exactly. They should have been hit twice.
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

Quote Originally Posted by daemon734 View Post
    I disagree. Drones are invaluable for ISR missions and even limited CAS.
    I also do not agree on your rationale of it being "necessary" to have a human in the bird. That mindset seems to allude to unmanned drones being "unfair", however there is nothing declaring it as such aside from a marginal interpretation of an ancient "chivalrous code" to warfare. We can't keep our enemies even remotely within the well-defined LOAC, much less arbitrary notions of fairness.

However, contrary to popular belief, the human cost is generally still there with these aircraft as outside of the niche market of CIA and similar OGA use there is almost always a FAC on the ground with a team or unit of some sort calling the shots.

There was a team on the ground at the hospital in question green lighting the strike for whatever reasons they had at the time. I wasn't there, but having been in many seemingly similar situations before I try not to armchair quarterback those type of things. Interpreting these situations is vastly different when being discussed from your living room versus being 300 meters away with machine guns being fired at you.
    Thanks for the response, you gave me some angles to think about that I had not considered. I would like to clear up some misconceptions I gave, though. I do not think it is necessary to have a human in each plane or helicopter we use, nor do I think it is unfair. My point is in the way this President is using drones. He claims to be wanting peace and says he is pulling out the military from these areas and then sends in drones because if he loses a drone, no one really cares. If we lose a plane and one or more pilots, we start asking hard questions that he does not want to answer. By using drones the way he is, he has is able to make war without cost, and without most people even noticing that it is happening.

The angle you provided me that I did not know was about the FAC. I bow to your knowledge of this as my expertise is in ocean warfare, both above and below the ocean. Using drones for ISR missions is a great use of them. Using them for CAS when we are fighting is another great use. Using them to target a few people so we don't have to put "boots on the ground" and have to decide whether we should be fighting in an area or not is, I think, much more questionable.

Don't get me wrong, I think we should fight terrorists and defeat them, and that we should use every weapon at our disposal, even drones. The thing I am against is using drones exclusively. It is sort of like having the all volunteer force. It is great that we have people who volunteered to be in the military, but the other 99% of the population that do not serve do not understand what we give up, what we sacrifice, to ensure our freedom. It allows our country to use us in ways they would not if they understood the cost. By using drones almost exclusively to fight "terrorists" we, as a country, forget what it costs.

As for the specific attack, I to am sure that if the hospital was targeted it happened because there was a threat in the hospital, or that we reasonably concluded that there was one there. I have read many reports of the terrorists using schools, mosques, and hospitals as launching and hiding places when they are fighting. It provides great cover and when we, or our allies, attack they can then show how "barbaric" we are in attacking a school, mosque or hospital. I am not arguing against that, I am arguing against using drones so extensively.

With this explanation either I have made myself more clear or I have dug myself a deeper hole. Let me know.

NRA Endowment Member

With this explanation either I have made myself more clear or I have dug myself a deeper hole. Let me know.
    We're on the same page, I misunderstood what you meant. The confusion here is really the delineation between military drones and OGA drones. Drones are an everyday part of military campaign now, but what you are referring to is drone use by OGA, or more realistically, the CIA.

The use of drones by the CIA is a tricky one. Technically areas such as Yemen where we use them a lot are legally pre-stated as being areas on conflict on the war on terror, but we have no actual military presence there. It's almost akin to the cold war sneaky assassination bit without the whole "being sneaky" aspect. Im not sure if being more in your face about it is good or bad.
    Last edited by daemon734; 10-14-2015 at 08:34 AM.

There was a yahoo news piece today that said the taliban were using the hospital as their own, and stored heavy weapons there. Wich makes me wonder why 0bama would attack it, since 0bama supports jihad as jihadster in chief and recently dropped 50 tons of munitions to isis. I can more easily imagine 0bama ordering US forces to attack the enemies of isis rather than those who are fighting isis.

http://www.jewsnews.co.il/2015/10/15...syrian-rebels/
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast