Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blued or Stainless, 4" or 6"

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Blued or Stainless, 4" or 6"

So, I have pretty much decided to get a .357 to take when I hunt, fish, hike, etc. and I have settled on a S&W. My questions are, what should I get, a blued or stainless steel revolver and 4" or 6" barrel? Where I am buying this I think I can order either a 586 (blued) or a 686 (stainless). The 686 was the model that was at the store when I looked. When I was talking to the dealer he told me I can get either the 2.5", 4" or 6" barrel, they will order the one I want. I did some reading today and it sounds like the 6" is the best for the .357 cartridge, but it is bigger. I really like the looks of the 4" barrel but I would rather have a better performing revolver than one I think looks the best. What do you guys think, are there advantages and disadvantages that I am missing?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

My suggestions are go with the stainless (better weather resistance) and the 6". In some states, the minimum barrel length for a handgun used for hunting, is 6". Even if there are no hunting laws concerning barrel length, you'll get a little bit more power from a 6" than from a 4", plus it has a slightly longer sight radius than a 4".
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I think traditionally the 4" is considered the general purpose .357 barrel length, while the 6" is more for target and hunting, although it would work fine for combat if you're not concerned about decreased draw time and additional weight. I will say this, a 6" 686/586 is heavy!

I would like a 586 and a 686 myself. I might would get the 586 now if you like it, because the classic series aren't always available and could potentially be ended altogether if sales are low.

Here are some that I like:

http://www.kygunco.com/smith-and-wes...-rd-blue-60182
    http://www.kygunco.com/smith-and-wes...-special-28386
    http://www.kygunco.com/smith-and-wes...revolver-72242
    http://www.kygunco.com/smith-and-wes...rosewood-83192
    http://www.kygunco.com/smith-and-wes...-8-round-28348
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

If you are hunting 6" for sure as you'll get more speed from the rounds. Stainless ... why not. You don't have to worry as much about rust.

Thanks for the input. When I said hunting it would be a backup for either a rifle or a bow (the bow is not likely though!). I don't see myself pistol hunting but carrying a pistol when I hunt. I was pheasant hunting once and almost got run over by a deer that another hunter had scared. I do not think my 12 ga with 7 1/2 shot would have stopped the deer and if it did, I would have needed something to finish it off with. I was thinking along the lines of a gun I could carry like was discussed in a thread about hiking about a month ago. In Washington we don't have many bears to worry about and they are little black bears. What we do have are cougars. I ran across one hiking a long time ago and we hear about cougar/human interactions fairly often and I figure a .357 would be a better choice than a 9mm or a .45 ACP.

Based on the input received and from the reading I have done I am leaning towards the 4" stainless model. I really like the blued, as I am a classic guy at heart, but the stainless looks pretty good and I like ease of maintenance.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I go with the 4" in stainless. It'll look better longer and the shorter barrel would better allow CCW if you ever needed/wanted to use it in that fashion. Stainless can also be quite attractive especially with the right stocks.

Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

I've always had the blue in handguns and have had no issues. Course, this is just me. Stainless does require less care......or so I'm told. I'll take that back, I do have a 7 1/2 stainless Redhawk 44 ..........just too damn heavy to carry while traipsing at altitude.....
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan Morris; 10-06-2015 at 08:12 AM.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Stainless 6". If you ever get a wild hair up your ass and decide to try out handgun hunting, you're covered with a 6".
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

I have always thought S&W revolvers looked better in stainless.
    For camping and hiking fishing hunting, I'd stay away from blued so its one less thing you have to worry about.

BISHOP

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Thanks for the input. When I said hunting it would be a backup for either a rifle or a bow (the bow is not likely though!). I don't see myself pistol hunting but carrying a pistol when I hunt. I was pheasant hunting once and almost got run over by a deer that another hunter had scared. I do not think my 12 ga with 7 1/2 shot would have stopped the deer and if it did, I would have needed something to finish it off with. I was thinking along the lines of a gun I could carry like was discussed in a thread about hiking about a month ago. In Washington we don't have many bears to worry about and they are little black bears. What we do have are cougars. I ran across one hiking a long time ago and we hear about cougar/human interactions fairly often and I figure a .357 would be a better choice than a 9mm or a .45 ACP.

Based on the input received and from the reading I have done I am leaning towards the 4" stainless model. I really like the blued, as I am a classic guy at heart, but the stainless looks pretty good and I like ease of maintenance.
    Not sure about how hunting laws in other states, but in MD, it's illegal to carry a backup handgun when deer hunting UNLESS the backup handgun is, also, legal for hunting deer. So, that knocks out anything less than .357 and anything with a barrel less than 6".

Hopefully, most other states are more lenient than MD is.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Not sure about how hunting laws in other states, but in MD, it's illegal to carry a backup handgun when deer hunting UNLESS the backup handgun is, also, legal for hunting deer. So, that knocks out anything less than .357 and anything with a barrel less than 6".

Hopefully, most other states are more lenient than MD is.
    Just checked the Washington hunting regs for big game and the minimum barrel length is 4" and the minimum caliber is centerfire .24 so 4" .357 should be good.

NRA Endowment Member

So, just went to order the gun, decided on the 686 (stainless) with the 4" barrel. Unfortunately one of the discounts ends on Thursday and the revolver won't be in for about 2 weeks. This will add about $35 to the cost of the gun but it is still $100 off list price and about $70 less than the next closest price (not including shipping and transfer fees) so I think I will still do it. I am a bit irritated about the extra $30 bucks, but nothing I won't get over. Like Scorpion wrote in my other thread I am not paying tax. If I bought this out in town for the original price the price on base would still be less because of not paying tax.

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Missed the pre-purchase vote but SS & 6", but 4" is a convenent barrel size. I liked the Ruger Security Six 4" I had.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Missed the pre-purchase vote but SS & 6", but 4" is a convenent barrel size. I liked the Ruger Security Six 4" I had.
    Still not purchased, just requested. Can't purchase it until it is physically here. I tried to pay for it and was told I couldn't. There were positives and negatives to both barrel lengths, but for what I am going to use this for and what I "might" use it for, with all the input and reading I think the 4" is best, though either would work. In the end, it was a hard decision that I needed to make a decision on.

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

4" is a good all around size. If I was open carrying it hiking, hunting and fishing, I would go for the longer 6" barrel. Carried cross draw or shoulder holster the barrel length and slight extra weight shouldn't matter. The extra barrel length adds to the sight radius and bullet velocity.

But, then... I went with a 9.5" on my .44 mag Super Red Hawk and it is really [frount] heavy. I kind of wished I had gone 7.5" or even 6" for weight and ease of carry.
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 10-08-2015 at 10:11 AM.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Still not purchased, just requested. Can't purchase it until it is physically here. I tried to pay for it and was told I couldn't. There were positives and negatives to both barrel lengths, but for what I am going to use this for and what I "might" use it for, with all the input and reading I think the 4" is best, though either would work. In the end, it was a hard decision that I needed to make a decision on.

You could always split the difference and go 5": http://www.kygunco.com/smith-and-wes...-special-28386
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

The difference in weight is minimal 4" to 6". But ... the speed you will achieve is significantly less. You'll drop from 1300 fps to 1100 fps (depending on the powder). Second reason, longer sight seperation is better for accuracy. Last reason if you have to stab a zombie in the head the 6" barrel will reach the corpus callosum, but a 4" won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Last reason if you have to stab a zombie in the head the 6" barrel will reach the corpus callosum, but a 4" won't.
    This is the biggest selling point anyone has offered!

NRA Endowment Member

The difference in weight is minimal 4" to 6". But ... the speed you will achieve is significantly less. You'll drop from 1300 fps to 1100 fps (depending on the powder). Second reason, longer sight seperation is better for accuracy. Last reason if you have to stab a zombie in the head the 6" barrel will reach the corpus callosum, but a 4" won't.
    That, alone, is worth having the 6" barrel.

Freedom isn't free.

I'm seeing about a 5 1/2 oz weight difference on the 586 comparing 4" to 6". 40.9 vs 46.3. Not too much I Reckon.

Also I found this:

There is another chart here: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast