Thread: West VA Tax Dollars At Work

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Wow Ginsing root! Sounds super sinister ... I say off with their heads!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

There was a show on cable about WV ginseng farmers and all the intricacies involved in the trade. It's almost as bad as the Prohibition Era gang wars.

It's a pretty cutthroat operation in the hills; people stealing other peoples' stashes, cars being set on fire, people being shot at, etc.

It's almost unsafe to be in the woods around ginseng harvest time.

I can understand why the Resources police made these raids.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Report I saw has annual ginseng sales in the USA at around $27,000,000. I can see why folks might take to breaking the law to carve out a big chunk of that pie for themselves.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I always thought many of of the regulations on ginseng are silly. Ohio's laws on ginseng are crazy, too. All kinds of licensing is necessary just to pick and sell roots in the hills. I understand that Appalachian states want to protect a valuable plant from going extinct, but licensing is required to even grow and pick ginseng in your own garden!
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    I always thought many of of the regulations on ginseng are silly. Ohio's laws on ginseng are crazy, too. All kinds of licensing is necessary just to pick and sell roots in the hills. I understand that Appalachian states want to protect a valuable plant from going extinct, but licensing is required to even grow and pick ginseng in your own garden!
    I am pretty sure it is illegal in West VA to harvest ginseng on public land and also illegal without written permission on someone else's land. All of these laws are about what people can do on their own property which should be very disturbing to most people. Probably the DNR police had AR-15s and body armor when they took down the ginseng pickers. Notice also the fact that the evil ginseng pickers were found to own guns and have possession of cash -- something reported as implied criminal conduct. Is it just me or is the entire country going crazy?