Thread: .22 LR Personal Defense Rounds

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

.22 LR Personal Defense Rounds

Ok, before I ask my question let me point out that I realize that .22 LR is a lousy personal defense round. That being said, I read somewhere that shooting .22 LR HP ammo out of a handgun will not result in bullet expansion in aqueous tissue (flesh) because the bullet is traveling to slowing to cause deformation of the hollow point cone. This is because most .22 LR ammo is designed to be fired out of a rifle with a barrel that is about 4-5 times longer than a handgun barrel. Is there any .22 LR HP ammo out there that is designed to deform consistently when fired from a handgun?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I would choose CCI Velocitor ammo.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

If you can find it.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

What would happen if you took a small drill bit and enlarged the hollow point hole a little bit larger (not deeper, just wider)? I realize that changing the bullet nose just a little might affect its functioning in semi-autos, but it should still work in a revolver.

A wider, thinner hollow point should open at lower velocities....?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Personally I'd just load solids and go for penetration. Maybe the Aguila SSS 60 gr. Rounds. They are subsonic but they are also a good deal heavier than typical .22 LR and they should be very unstable in flight in most standard .22 LR twist rate barrels.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 10-27-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Personally I'd just load solids and go for penetration. Maybe the Aguila SSS 60 gr. Rounds. They are subsonic but they are also a good deal heavier than typical .22 LR and they should be very unstable in flight in must standard .22 LR twist rate barrels.
    This is probably the best advice. Not sure that drilling on a bullet to expand the hollow point is a good idea and it would make an already light bullet even lighter. As I said, I am not going to be doing this but it was a question that came up. I know that Hornady makes 9mm HP that are designed for short barrels so I was wondering if anyone did this for .22 LR as well. Of course you are talking the difference between a 5" and a 2" barrel for 9mm and a 20" and a ~5" barrel for the .22 LR. That is quite a difference.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Personally I'd just load solids and go for penetration. Maybe the Aguila SSS 60 gr. Rounds. They are subsonic but they are also a good deal heavier than typical .22 LR and they should be very unstable in flight in must standard .22 LR twist rate barrels.
    Those 60 grain bullets are definately unstable out or a regular 22 barrel. I know they tend to keyhole out of my 10-22. I probably tried them in one of my pistols but don't remember if they functioned OK or not. With that long bullet and short case they may have problems.

When I carry a 22 pocket pistol, I just load it with Federal 40 grain solid bullets. I don't carry it often, as my daily carry pistol is a 9mm.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

This gel test is interesting:

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"