Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If FBI moves to 9mm, what happens to the .40 cal Pistols?

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post If FBI moves to 9mm, what happens to the .40 cal Pistols?

After today, it's all historical.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I almost cried as I read the inventory of firearms that the Clinton administration destroyed.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    We the people who paid for these firearms should get them back, but we the people also lost most of the second amendment, and have a president who hates we the people, so figure these firearms will also meet the great melting pot.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Why the fuck would they go back to 9 mm now? This makes no sense to me. All their fancy testing said they needed a bigger bullet to go through stuff and punch a bigger hole in the perps. Now assuming they have better bullets that can get through stuff today (back in the day the only 9 mm bullet that passed the penetration tests was the Speer Gold Dot bullet) the 9 mm bullet still isn't going to make as large a hole in tissue as the .40's.

To be fair, the 9mm has less recoil and muzzle blast and a bigger capacity magazine.
    The lower recoil and blast means it's easier and faster to train agents to shoot, especially women and smaller men.
    A good percentage of law enforcement is quite satisfied with the 9mm and have excellent results with it.

However, the truth is that probably someone up in the agency wanted to make a splash to show he's a smart and effective executive, and decided a good way to do that would be to make a change in caliber, which would have national implications across all law enforcement and enhance his career.

As to what effect it will have is probably minimal. Some departments will no doubt follow the agency since some LE always follow what they do.
    Most others will continue using the .40 if that's what they're using now.
    The days when it was "monkey see, monkey do, in American LE and they slavishly followed the FBI lead are over.
    American LE got used to not following the FBI's every move when they adopted the 10mm.

There just going to buy the ammo, like before.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

From what I've read the newer bullet designs in 9x19 offer better performance than those in .40 S&W with lower recoil (faster follow up shots) and the higher capacity so in a nutshell the reasons for going with the 10mm then the .40 S&W are no longer viable.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I almost cried as I read the inventory of firearms that the Clinton administration destroyed.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. That part makes it hard to even worry about the rest. Really, they should sell off all the old guns and ammo for cheap to the people.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    We the people who paid for these firearms should get them back, but we the people also lost most of the second amendment, and have a president who hates we the people, so figure these firearms will also meet the great melting pot.

What kills me is that they call those firearms "government property". Since they paid for them with our tax dollars, they are OUR property.

Or, stated another way, "government property" = "public property".

I almost cried...

Wilson gave a break-down of the guns destroyed as of March 1994 as follows: .45 caliber automatic pistols (110,000), M-14 rifles (50,000), M1 carbines (45,000), M1903A3 drill rifles (40,000), M1 Garands (30,000), M3 .45 “grease guns” (20,000), M1903 Springfields (6,000), and M12 .22 caliber target rifles (6,000).
    All priceless weapons that served this Country for over 100 years... turned into scrap. It's criminal.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omahaoutdoors View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. That part makes it hard to even worry about the rest. Really, they should sell off all the old guns and ammo for cheap to the people.
    Yes they should. They are still serviceable, but for some reason our government is very concerned anymore about weapons being in the hands of the citizens.

BTW, welcome to the board! Hope to see you post often!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs up

Good! I am glad, never have cared for all damn those bastard Calibers. .357 SIG, .40S&W, and 10mm. I have loved my .9mm Para. Caliber all my Shooting Life. So sick and tired of that old worn out comparison between .9mm and .45ACP, It goes like this: Let's say you have 1 Round left, and some one on Meth. wearing heavily Padded Clothes come charges at you. Which Caliber would you want? First of all I would never be down to just one Round. Second of all, It is not always importing to drop the guy with just one Round! That is the Religion of the .45ACP Crowd in this Country. If the .9mm Para. was not that great of a Caliber it would not have lasted 103 Years! My Walther P.88 is the finest and most accurate Pistol I have ever owned. I wonder how may .45 Owners have Carpo Tunnel in their Shooting Hand and Wrist.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

It looks like this change will cost the taxpayer $80 Million!

http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...ampaign=buffer

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

No that is not a good thing! they should change as the Gun's wear out!
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I would expect them to wholesale them out. Doesn't make any sense to destroy them. This is SOP with most LEO orgs - that's why there are so many "police trade in" pistols available on the market.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    These aren't Smith model 19's. Not much wears out on the modern guns except springs, unless you have some sort of catastrophic malfunction. Glocks from the 80's are still working fine, and I'm sure in 20 years we'll be saying the same thing for Springfield XD, m&p's, and all the others.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    At the rate most LEOs shoot on their own time (seems like many I work with only shoot their yearly qual), the finish will wear out before the mechanical parts wear out. I have who knows how many thousands of rounds through my Glock 19 and the only part I've replaced is the recoil spring, and that was simply routine precautionary maintenance.

I am looking forward to adding a few extra Glock 22s and 15-round magazines to the stash on the cheap.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

That does not make sense. They had a top flight firearms guy named Bill Vanderpool and he retired about 15 years back. Guess he was never replaced. He was a member of the International Wound Ballistics Assn.

Sounds like no one is reading their history.
    Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone and Highpower Rifle, Presidents 100 (Rifle), Member US Palma Teams and US Dewar Teams. US Army Test and Evaluation Command - Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director - Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, NRA Member since age 12, NRA Benefactor, Charter Member International Wound Ballilstics Assn, Life Member Gun Owners of SC, Life Member Palmetto State Marksmen's Assn, Eagle Scout, Bhd OTA, Shriner, FF1, AC4HT,

Would the same results on the Glock also apply to the H&K USP? I have been thinking of getting a USP in .9mm for sometime. Is it just as long lasting as the Glock?? Paul

my guess is female agents and limp wristed gay men had a hard time qualifying with the .40 the same way they did with the 10mm so they are going to a smaller calliber to help "diversify" their work force.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    There are many things I will NEVER forgive that raping sack of shit Clinton for,and this is one of those things which TOPS the list.

That motherfucker still manages to infuriate me to this day....

Any gun owner who thinks Clinton wasn't all that bad, need a fucking kick in the teeth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast