Thread: Experience With WPA Performance and Independence IMI 5.56

Experience With WPA Performance and Independence IMI 5.56

I went to the gun range today to sight in a red dot sight on a Mini-14. I use a 25 yard zero for 5.56. At this distance, I zeroed my gun using the WPA Performance ammo. Three shot groups were about 1/2 or slightly less. I then switched to the Independence IMI ammo which I understand is imported from Israel by Federal. Groups opened to two inches and point of impact was strangely about two inches below where the WPA ammo was grouping. In short, the WPA Performance ammo totally outperformed the IMI ammo. Not what I would have expected, given the way people Bash Russian ammo on the Internet.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I have only used Independence once, it was 9mm and it was years ago. Don't remember much about why but I know I have never been tempted to buy that brand again.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I only used Wolf ammo once in one of my carbines. Two boxes. It functioned fine and accuracy was acceptable, but it was very dirty. Also, that particular carbine is now in pieces in my safe, as it never worked with regular brass ammo again. Just won't extract correctly. Maybe if I clean it again and find something I missed.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avanarts View Post
    I only used Wolf ammo once in one of my carbines. Two boxes. It functioned fine and accuracy was acceptable, but it was very dirty. Also, that particular carbine is now in pieces in my safe, as it never worked with regular brass ammo again. Just won't extract correctly. Maybe if I clean it again and find something I missed.
    Replace the extractor on the bolt.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

^This. Steel case is hard on extractors. Independence... I had a good bit of that stuff back when I bought my first AR, but I can't say I was checking the accuracy. It was my first semi auto and I was just slingin' lead as fast as I could. I do know that I had no problem with keyholing as some others have reported with it.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".