Thread: Rifle Season Starts this Monday.

Rifle Season Starts this Monday.

I used to love to hunt, actually lived for it. Now as I get older, the fun has worn off a bit. My Daughter turns 16 on Sunday. So I took the day off for that. Monday is about the only day the first week that I will be able to go. My son wants to use my Rem 700 LTR in .308. We are going to head out early Monday morning. We would have spent the night out on Sunday. But, it's the Daughters day.

For years I have been wanting to take a deer with my Russian capture K-98. So I will field that. Stan and I share a two man stand. Wish us luck. I have taken the second week off. But, when you cook for a living, you get 'volunteered'. So third year in a row I will cook for a local fund raiser for the local library. Oh boy! Last year was my first vacation in 5 years and I spent the week doing that. This year, the ladies thought that they would be nice to me and have it earlier in the week. So, after getting my butt kicked at work next week. I'll have sunday and Monday to prepare food for 100 people. Oh well. (rant off.)

Two years ago Stan took a decent 4 point in a friends "backyard." Just shy of a 300 yard shot. Dropped that sucker right in his tracks. So, I really hope that he can get another deer. Where we hunt/have land. The .308 is a little over kill as rarely would we get more than a 100 yard shot. Either way, I'll keep you all posted!

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Good luck to both of them!
    Dan

Firearm started last Saturday here archery prior to that. They tried to get rifle approved earlier this year but I don't think it passed.
    Too much gun in these parts IMHO might have been good way down south though
    Been hearing about some big ones this year and have seen a few pics but this is the only one I could talk anyone out of

The guy stopped by work this morning to get it recorded on line

Hope your day goes well El Duce
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

El Duce, If my memory is correct you live in WV. I was planning to hunt on opening day of WV firearms season this Monday using my Marlin 1895. However, I just found out that crossbows are now legal in most of WV for both bow and firearms season without a handicapped permit so I may go out with my crossbow so I can hunt from the ground and not worry about a bullet leaving my property on a horizontal shot. I have constructed a ground blind looking down a power line access road and have it set up to be able to shoot from a rest. At 30 yards with a cheap red dot my Excalibur consistently shoots 1.5 inch groups which for me is probably better than I can do shooting my Marlin with the stock Buckhorn sights. I have never shot from the ground before so I am wondering how to mask my scent. I think my hunting jacket is supposed to trap scent so maybe that is all I need. My property (WV panhandle) is infested with deer, i.e., being heavily wooded and surrounded by large open fields so I feel over 50 percent sure I will get a shot at something on Monday if there is no wind or the wind is blowing in the right direction. I will take any shot that is less than 40 yards.

Lucky you!
    Here in Illinois, we're stuck using shotguns and slugs.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    El Duce, If my memory is correct you live in WV. I was planning to hunt on opening day of WV firearms season this Monday using my Marlin 1895. However, I just found out that crossbows are now legal in most of WV for both bow and firearms season without a handicapped permit so I may go out with my crossbow so I can hunt from the ground and not worry about a bullet leaving my property on a horizontal shot. I have constructed a ground blind looking down a power line access road and have it set up to be able to shoot from a rest. At 30 yards with a cheap red dot my Excalibur consistently shoots 1.5 inch groups which for me is probably better than I can do shooting my Marlin with the stock Buckhorn sights. I have never shot from the ground before so I am wondering how to mask my scent. I think my hunting jacket is supposed to trap scent so maybe that is all I need. My property (WV panhandle) is infested with deer, i.e., being heavily wooded and surrounded by large open fields so I feel over 50 percent sure I will get a shot at something on Monday if there is no wind or the wind is blowing in the right direction. I will take any shot that is less than 40 yards.

I haven't used scent mask in years. It is possible to take a deer with out it. As proven by me many times. Where we hunt most of our shots are within 60 yards so the rifles that we bring could be considered 'over kill.' But, best of luck to you! I too would use a cross bow, but my time is limited these days and the few times that I can get into the woods, I would rather use tools that make my chances of being successful better. Let us know how you do! I am in WV and in the Southern part. Greenbrier county.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Good luck to all you guys going ot th kill Bambi.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Good luck to all you guys going ot th kill Bambi.
    Phuk Bambi. I've killed as many deer with my driver's license as with a hunting license and it's a whole lot cheaper with a hunting license.

Bambi's fine until he decides to play bumper cars on the road.

If you run out of deer there, come here and help thin the herd. They're worse than Muslims going to Mecca around here.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Hey go for it and luck to all of you!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Smile

Sort of funny how you worded the Title of the Thread. Sounded like the Deer were going to Hunt Rifles. hahaa!
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Let us know how you do! I am in WV and in the Southern part. Greenbrier county.
    I stayed out from 5 to 11 today and didn't see any deer. The wind was in my face and one did come up behind me and snort after catching my scent. My buddy who always gets a deer was up in his tree stand and got nothing. Very few gun shots today compared to prior years. It is always nice to be out in the woods.

Maybe they moved to Indiana these were out last evening
    New tracks each morning in my yard

There is a hunting forum here, could use some dusting off
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Those are nice deer Otto! I achieved my goal today. (See other thread) We did hear some shots today. Some seamed close. Funny, my son and I heard some shots that we could tell were pretty close. When I shot (about a half mile away from him) he didn't hear it!