Thread: Geez I hate Hollywood.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Geez I hate Hollywood.

So, there is a movie being made of Steinbeck's In Dubious Battle. That's cool, but I'm already hearing they have moved it from California to Georgia? At least some of it was filmed in Georgia. It was one of the books my son read to me at night (homeschooled). Yeah, I know it's a handy tool for the left, but it's a good read none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    So, there is a movie being made of Steinbeck's In Dubious Battle. That's cool, but I'm already hearing they have moved it from California to Georgia? At least some of it was filmed in Georgia. It was one of the books my son read to me at night (homeschooled). Yeah, I know it's a handy tool for the left, but it's a good read none the less.
    They didn't move from California to Georgia for any political purposes. It was all a part of them having a low budget and trying to get cheap labor (or try to get cheap labor).....

LOL. I know a guy who turned down work for that movie. Apparently the production company was so low budget (they got a great cast but blew all their money on the acting talent and kept NONE for the crew or other expenses) that they burned a lot of bridges in California. They couldn't film here and even tried to finish their filming in Washington State.

There were a lot of rants online about this movie, about how lower level people STILL to this day have not been paid.

Also there was some real stupid gun shit in there (I've seen production photos online), like where they have a Browning 1919 30 cal machine gun but mounted on a .50 cal Ma Deuce mount and ammo cradle (with no ammo box) on top of a vintage truck.

Wow.That's crazy. It's a great read.Steinbeck writes in a way that you are there. The scenes and smells come alive. His novel East of Eden was made into a movie and they started the movie two-thirds of the way through the book. Literally the first two thirds of the book was left out. The Grapes of Wrath is probably in my favorite five books of all time- except for the weird creepy ending. Hollywood did that novel pretty good justice. Of Mice and Men was very well done. Malkovitch and Sinise were amazing,.

Check it out. Remember how I mentioned them putting an M1919 30 cal Machine gun into a mount with a 50 cal ammo can holder?

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Did you notice that the primers have all been struck on the rounds in the can, or am I seeing something that is not there?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Did you notice that the primers have all been struck on the rounds in the can, or am I seeing something that is not there?
    They look struck to me, too.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Considering that they have to rent those weapons as props, you really think they would have live rounds/primers for actors to fuck around with.

I remember watching one movie where they had a close up of spent shells from an M-60 hitting the floor. They were "bottled nosed" blanks.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Live rounds or it ain't realistic!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs down

What do you expect with Hollywood! One in 3 People are on Cocaine. I loved the scenes in 2012 where The Quake tore it apart. you could see Capitol Records coming down. Only a matter of time. Remember the scenes in Lost where no one knew how to properly walk with a Weapon? we all know California is the modern day Sodom and Gomorra, or Babylon. Only a matter of time. Arizona would make great Beach front Property. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Considering that they have to rent those weapons as props, you really think they would have live rounds/primers for actors to fuck around with.

I remember watching one movie where they had a close up of spent shells from an M-60 hitting the floor. They were "bottled nosed" blanks.
    Hope you're kidding. NO ONE would EVER bring live ammo to a set where douchebag actors can get their paws on it. Of COURSE the primers are dented. That's how the armorers and set crew knows it's a dud round. You guys really expect anyone to have live ammo (not blanks) on a movie set? On what planet??

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Hope you're kidding. NO ONE would EVER bring live ammo to a set where douchebag actors can get their paws on it. Of COURSE the primers are dented. That's how the armorers and set crew knows it's a dud round. You guys really expect anyone to have live ammo (not blanks) on a movie set? On what planet??
    Well now, ain't that the point I just made?
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Well now, ain't that the point I just made?
    You didn't have the question mark at the end, thus changing the tone of the quote. Without the question mark, it wasn't ironic, it seemed like you were supporting the idea of live ammo on set. Now that I read the same words WITH the "?" I now understand what you meant.

Ah, quite right. I missed the "?", and it does change the statement if it's missing.

No, I wouldn't. Considering how they work so hard to make fakes of everything else look real I would have expected more from them is all.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

No, I wouldn't. Considering how they work so hard to make fakes of everything else look real I would have expected more from them is all.
    Yeah, but in the movies you never get close up shots of ammo like that. Those were only photos shot between scenes.

I think you don't realize WHY that is a bad idea. I know a LOT of movie weapons guys and they all say, the only really safe way to visually verify that NO ONE has slipped live ammo on a set without you knowing is to have all rounds that have a bullet in them to have dented primers. (sure some films HAVE in the past made a point to show dead or inert primers (With no dent) in closeups, but for the most part that is rare). Blanks are obvious. They're either bottlenosed or star crimped. They're the ONLY ammo on set that is allowed to have live primers. The entire Brandon Lee debacle could have been avoided if they did NOT send the gun handler home at midnight, and then decide ON THEIR OWN to film the fateful scene four hours later with no expert on set.

That is interesting to know tank_monkey. Thanks for sharing. In general, I don't get too worked up over movies. When it comes to being realistic or accurate, most of them are pretty far off.

I think you don't realize WHY that is a bad idea. I know a LOT of movie weapons guys and they all say, the only really safe way to visually verify that NO ONE has slipped live ammo on a set without you knowing is to have all rounds that have a bullet in them to have dented primers. (sure some films HAVE in the past made a point to show dead or inert primers (With no dent) in closeups, but for the most part that is rare). Blanks are obvious. They're either bottlenosed or star crimped. They're the ONLY ammo on set that is allowed to have live primers. The entire Brandon Lee debacle could have been avoided if they did NOT send the gun handler home at midnight, and then decide ON THEIR OWN to film the fateful scene four hours later with no expert on set.
    You are right, I had not thought of it quite like that. Very interesting.

On a slightly different note, I live not to far away from the NRA National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, VA. They have a display of TV and movie guns from various famous films or used by famous actors. Some of the weapons that I thought were so cool in the movie, up close turn out to be cheap rubber/plastic replicas! Film doesn't just cover up imperfections on humans.

NRA Endowment Member

Film doesn't just cover up imperfections on humans.
    Oh yeah!!!! I've SEEN a lot of these actors and actresses in person! Wow. They do NOT look so good in the flesh!

I know she's not known as a super beauty but Lisa Kudrow from FRIENDS, I was standing in front of her on a street once and she was talking to someone on the phone and I swear, I thought she was a homeless skank, except for the good clothes and handbag. hahahaha

To be honest, I've seen and handled a few of those famous movie guns (the ones that were real). One thing I noticed is just how banged up and beat up they are. I hear that actors are the biggest douchebags when it comes to abusing firearms.

Cliff Curtis, the character actor who plays everything from Colombian drug lords, to FBI agents, to gangsters, to Middle Eastern terrorists, etc. is one of those guys who apparently will NEVER hand you back a gun when the take is over. He just throws the gun to the ground each time and expects the props people to pick it up. I've heard so many props guys bitch about that actor..... Can you imagine some douchebag is using your gun for a shot and after the take, you ask "Can I have the gun back now?" after the take and he intentionally throws it to the ground and walks away instead of handing it to you?

He's only abusive to crew members, but people do talk about guys who are horrors on set.