Thread: Bread & Butter Jalapenos, TASTY!!!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thumbs up Bread & Butter Jalapenos, TASTY!!!!

We had a very successful crop of Jalapeno's this year. Over 24 lbs. total but we've already used some of them during the summer. One of my favorite things to do with them is to make up the Bread & Butter style Jalapenos. It takes about 5 hours once you have the peppers split and deveined and deseeded. That often takes an hour or more. These are really tasty minced up and used as a relish on Bratwursts, Hot Dogs and Burgers. A half pint of these dumped on a 5 to 6 lb. Pork Roast along with some salt make an outstanding main course. Spicy but not over powering.

24 lbs. of Jalapenos, the orange peppers on the right are Habaneros from 2014 season. Frozen whole these and Jalapenos keep for a good long while. Deseeding them frozen is easier and you get less gassed out by the capsicum. Side note, wear rubber gloves, your fingers will thank you for them later. (Ask me how I know). Oh and the red peppers are just ripened on the bush Jalapenos.

Cooking the mix. Oh and onions thinly sliced are also in this recipe. It takes 4 hours of soaking the pepper and onion mix that has been salted in iodine free salt before you get to this cooking phase of the process. For the 4 hours you put a thin towel over the bowl of salted mix and then cover that with ice cubes, bowl sits in the fridge for the time. The salt is washed off before going to the cook pot. The fluid is white and apple cider vinegar, a lot of sugar and a bunch of spices; Cardamom, cinnamon stick, Star Anise, cloves, Turmeric and Mustard Seeds. You put all that in the vinegar and heat until a boil and dissolve of all the sugar. Then dump in the pepper mix and cook until they change color. Pack the jars and then a 10 minute (once a full boil is achieved) hot water bath for canning.

Finished product! This BTW was only 4 total lbs. of peppers. I have enough to do this 5 more times should I choose to. Good eating. I wonder how it works with ... Turkey?

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Damn, I'm envious.

I planted two jalapeno plants and got a grand total of five little ones.
    Last edited by sevlex; 11-25-2015 at 11:49 AM.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Can I come to dinner? I'll settle for the seeds!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    Can I come to dinner? I'll settle for the seeds!
    Dan
    Sorry, the seeds went through the garbage dissposer along with the cores / veins. If one is of stout enough stomach these make a tasty snack like any Pickle. They are sweet and hot all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    Damn, I'm envious.

I planted two jalapeno plants and got a grand total of five little ones.
    We had 6, though one of them was puny and didn't do much. The plants averaged close to 5 lbs. each, one of the best yields I've had off of Jalapeno plants. Oh and this is Raised Bed gardening BTW.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I keep the seeds in when I used the peppers for peanuts, but besides that I remove them as well.

I totally agree with the gloves. One time I forgot about my hands and scratched my cock and balls after cutting up some peppers. I had to immediately drop everything and go jump in the shower. It was awful.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I totally agree with the gloves. One time I forgot about my hands and scratched my cock and balls after cutting up some peppers. I had to immediately drop everything and go jump in the shower. It was awful.
    I didn't get messed up in that way but the first time I did these I didn't use gloves and my hands were on fire for about the next 6 hours, it was hell.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

My wife just finished a batch of bread and butter pickles, but this sounds fantastic, we are definitely going to do this recipe, thanks much !!
    we'll have to settle for store bought jalapenos though.

She's in the kitchen making her Christmas gift jars of homemade horse radish, really simple process, i never eat store horseradish. The great thing about gifting this to our kids is they really don't like it, so next month i'll go to their houses and collect it, kind of a family joke...." Geez mom evry year you make us this shit and you know we don't like it"...i just smile, i think they're starting to catch on

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    My wife just finished a batch of bread and butter pickles, but this sounds fantastic, we are definitely going to do this recipe, thanks much !!
    we'll have to settle for store bought jalapenos though.

She's in the kitchen making her Christmas gift jars of homemade horse radish, really simple process, i never eat store horseradish. The great thing about gifting this to our kids is they really don't like it, so next month i'll go to their houses and collect it, kind of a family joke...." Geez mom evry year you make us this shit and you know we don't like it"...i just smile, i think they're starting to catch on
    Funny story about the Horse Radish. Bet I'd like that. For you and others here is the full recipe.

Ingredients
    • 2 lbs. Jalapeño peppers (optional: ¼ lb. of Habanero peppers for extra heat).
    • 1 pound white or yellow onions, thinly sliced
    • 1/4 cup pickling salt (can use Kosher salt or sea salt as a substitute, regular table salt has Iodine in it that will darken your pickles and make the color of the pickle juice muddy)
    • 1 1/4 cup White (clear) Distilled Vinegar
    • 1 cup Apple Cider (brown colored) Vinegar
    • 2 1/4 cups Sugar (white, organic or even brown sugar can be used).
    • 1 Tbsp. Mustard Seeds
    • 1 Star Anise Pod
    • 1 Cardamom Pod (about 1/8 heaping teaspoon of ground Cardamom)
    • 3/4 teaspoon Celery Seed
    • 1 inch of Cinnamon Stick
    • 6 whole Cloves
    • 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
    • 2 clean 1-quart canning jars, or 4 pint jars, 6 to 8 ½ pint jars (depends on how full you pack the jar).
    Method
    1 Cut the stem end off of the Jalapeños. Then cut them in half lengthwise. Remove and discard the seeds and the ribs. Place the peppers in a large bowl. Add the onions and stir in the pickling salt so that it is well distributed. Cover the peppers with a clean, thin towel. Put ice over the towel and place the bowl in the refrigerator to chill for at 4 hours. After 4 hours, rinse the salt off of the peppers and onions. Drain, and rinse and drain again.
    2 In a 4 or 6 quart pot, put the vinegar, sugar, and spices. Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Add the peppers and onions. Bring to a boil again. Watch the peppers. As soon as they are all cooked through (you can tell because their color changes from a vibrant to a more dull green), start packing your canning jars with the peppers and onions, using a slotted spoon to remove them from the pan. Pack the jars evenly with the peppers and onions, up to about an inch from the top of the jars. Then pour the sugary vinegar mixture over the peppers, until it covers them.
    3 Cover the jars and let cool to room temperature before chilling in the refrigerator.
    If you are planning to store outside of the refrigerator or for an extended period of time, use canning jars. Sterilize your jars and lids first. Wipe the rims of the jars after you pack them with pickles. Process in a water bath for 10 minutes.