For you gamers

Here is some refurb stuff and......
    http://www.evga.com/newsletter/sales/ENL_2015-11-25/
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I may have to grab a couple power supplies. I usually have spares but none left currently. $10 for a 650 watt.... Too hard to pass up. Thanks!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Maybe one day I can slow down my firearms spending long enough to build another PC.

My current desktop runs Win XP and a GeForce 7950, while my laptop is a four year old Sony Vaio that likes to act up on me.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I'm looking at putting together a Skylake Z170 Intel based system. If I get all the bits I want, it is going to run over $1K. I'll reuse my Fractal Design R4 case and my 1 TB WD Black HD from the current system.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 11-27-2015 at 11:14 AM.

Why Intel? Sorry Im late, family business.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Why because AMD is seriously behind in the CPU race when it comes to performance. They haven't done much new in 5 years. Intel OTOH has. I'm looking at the I5 6600K overclocking capable CPU. The Intel Skylake chips run very low voltage, 1.13 vs. 1.5 for most AMD chips. That means they run a crap load cooler and cooler is better from a wear on the system point of view. Big difference in data flow as well.

Z170 boards have uSB 3.1 on them which is the next gen in connectivity. They also usually have M.2 SSD capability with 4x IO speeds. I'm still on the fense on going M.2 for my OS hard drive vs. just an SSD like the Samsung 850 EVO. Considering I'm not going to do video editing, just office, web browse / gunsnet and gaming I don't think there is justification to spend the bigger dollars on an M.2 SSD.

To get the M.2 drive I would want to put in the system I'd be looking at the Samsung 950 pro with a black PCB for $198. (I hate ugly assed green boards). Anyway, the 2.5" Samsung 850 EVO is only about $79 bucks now at New Egg with free shipping. Very big cost delta between the two and to get the 950 would be more of a Status thing vs. a practical thing.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 11-27-2015 at 11:26 AM.