Thread: CZ 805 Bren PS1 project

CZ 805 Bren PS1 project

It's not that I need another 223 platform but after getting the Scorpion EVO3 I've kind of developed a fondness for CZ's ... I've always known they were well built but didn't really have an attraction to them ... now I seem to be hooked on them

I haven't decided if I'm going to SBR this one or not ... I'd like to see what, if SBR's and Suppressors are going to remain NFA or if there is a chance they will become title 1 firearms

All stretched out ...

Folded ...

Family shot ...

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Nice!

BTW, CZ has been running a black friday special on threaded cz75 barrels. $150 I think. I'd like to have a worked over cz sp-01 from cajun gun works.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You always have the coolest stuff! Nice!

I took it out to a friends farm a week ago Thursday, so I have a short range report; this was before I had the Phantom break to mount my suppressor on. I took it out again over my lunch hour last Tuesday and shot it suppressed and the only thing I can really add is that it was much more pleasant.

First of all, I don't think I mentioned the action is smooth as butter ... No grindy feel when charging just smooth; I'd easily compare it to my Swiss 551 & 553.

I put a couple shots of BreakFree in it and wiped down the action and just left a thin coat of lube like you would on anything except an AR.

I shot 3- 30 round mags; 1 mag of Tula, 1 Silver Bear and one of Lake City green tip I shot 10 round strings then changed mag/ammo ... all are 62 grain.

I took a spotting scope but no rifle rest I was shooting standing off a tall table with only my elbows for support, and because I don't have a stamp for it yet I couldn't pull it into my shoulder and shoot for any kind of group size ... my eyes suck and I was shooting open sites at 100 yards ... At this time I hadn't mounted the Aimpoint yet ... I'm probably going to put some sort of magnifying optic on it but haven't decided what I want yet, but I may just leave the Aimpoint on it as it co-witnesses perfectly.

As expected the LC shot the highest and is the hottest, the Silver Bear was in the middle (and if I had been shooting for group I think it would have been the best). Lastly, the Tula was the softest shooting and also POI the lowest on my target board ... I had a large piece of cardboard and interestingly I was using the same POA for all rounds and you could clearly tell each group.

In actual use, the trigger though still a bit heavy, felt much nicer than I had previously given it credit for ... Did I mention the action is butter smooth?

The factory break is quite effective in reducing felt recoil but I do want to note I am very well acquainted with muzzle blast from an SBR however the muzzle blast from the Bren 805 took me by surprise ... I'd compare it to my P556xi in 7.62x39 or my HK52 clone which is also 7.62x39 ... the Bren 805 is .223/5.56

I've had zero failures, feeding or ejecting ... It worked well with all ammo's; I used Gen2 MagPul window mags. Not being an AR, there is no AR twang which I did notice ... and did I mention it's butter smooth? To date I've shot 150 rounds total. On my lunch hour Tuesday I shot 2-30 round mags of the Swiss made Carl Gustauf 62grain 223, which as with every other firearm I've used this ammo in, the accuracy is pathetic as keeping it on an 8.5" x 11" target is a struggle.

I can honestly say that once again CZ has delivered an awesome firearm ... If you have any specific q's ask and I'll do my best!
    Last edited by kimberkid; 11-28-2015 at 11:55 PM.

Nice range / function report. Just one thing ... Carl Gustauf is Swedish, not Swiss. On accuracy sucking, now that surprises me. The Swedish surplus 6.5x55 ammo was always tack driver accurate. To hear that their 5.56 NATO ammo is really piss poor is shocking to me. Have you measured them with a micrometer, the bullet diameters that is?
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 11-30-2015 at 07:21 AM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Nice family you have there kid, and thanks for the range report. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Nice range / function report. Just one thing ... Carl Gustauf is Swedish, not Swiss. On accuracy sucking, now that surprises me. The Swedish surplus 6.5x55 ammo was always tack driver accurate. To hear that their 5.56 NATO ammo is really piss pore is shocking to me. Have you measured them with a micrometer, the bullet diameters that is?
    My bad, they are indeed Swedish ... I have mic'd them and they are .224 on the dot ... I've also pulled apart 10 rounds, one stripper clip sealed in plastic, they are very pretty, brass cased annealed necks (unfortunately not reloadable) and these are the results;

I'm thinking the .8 grain spread may be the biggest problem. Combine that with cases that are varying almost 2 full grains, (which probably means variation in internal case volume) is probably the magic combo producing the sucky accuracy. Something you can't see is primer consistency.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with it ... I got 2,000 rounds of the stuff through AIM a while back, it was 399 /1000 IIRC, it came in a new steel ammo box with 2 stripper clip guides per case ... On the outside, other than being a bit expensive I thought it would be great for long term storage but with the crappy accuracy I don't see a reason to save it back.
    Last edited by kimberkid; 11-29-2015 at 11:43 PM.

is that VZ61 in 9x18 or 380?
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    is that VZ61 in 9x18 or 380?
    I got the 380 ... because I already have a ton and I really don't want to "stock" another caliber