Thread: The Rifleman tv series

The Rifleman tv series

I was watching The Rifleman yesterday and saw how he fired so fast from the hip. I never saw that episode before. Part of the title was the name Berti.

She asked to see his rifle in the stagecoach. He said it's loaded and didn't let her touch it. She said what's that for, looking at the loop lever. He said it allows me to fire automatically!

It was a screw that went through the lever and when it reaches the closed/cocked position with the round chambered the screw hits the trigger at the right moment so he never touches the trigger. Might be a set screw with a stop that he could back it off for shoulder fire.

No wonder he was a bad ass. I'll bet Chuck Connors loved shooting that rifle. There could be an episode that had the North Fork Gunsmith installing it.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    From what I read about Chuck Connors he was really into firearms and I believe he is the one who deviced that automatic trigger engager thingy.

They play the reruns here all the time I watch them over and over.
    I remember that one with Berti she was a bounty hunter.
    The actress was also Endora on Bewitched
    You're thread got me searching just for fun.
    Got a couple links with some pretty good stuff on it

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-rifleman...59478-1047516/
    http://www.americancowboychronicles....him-today.html

Never considered a couple of things after seeing it so much:

The 1892 Winchester is a top-eject rifle as the top is open when the lever is cocked forward. The empty shells are ejected straight up when the lever is pulled towards the shooter.
    When the rifle was spin-cocked down to Connors' side, the cartridges would have fallen to the ground. Therefore, the rifle was modified with a plunger which would hold a round in place.
    So how does an 1892 Winchester lever action rifle make it into a television show that is supposedly taking place 12 years before it was invented? Friends, its Hollywood!
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post

The 1892 Winchester is a top-eject rifle as the top is open when the lever is cocked forward. The empty shells are ejected straight up when the lever is pulled towards the shooter.
    When the rifle was spin-cocked down to Connors' side, the cartridges would have fallen to the ground. Therefore, the rifle was modified with a plunger which would hold a round in place.
    So how does an 1892 Winchester lever action rifle make it into a television show that is supposedly taking place 12 years before it was invented? Friends, its Hollywood!
    The same way they can play a song, as being current to the time, in a movie set in 1963 (I've Had The Time Of My Life), that was written, recorded and on the charts in 1987.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(I%27v...ime_of_My_Life

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Dancing

Timelines don't mean much in Hollywood.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Thanks for that. I was just six when Mark was ten.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post

IIRC Agnes Morehead played Endora.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

You're right Richard here she is at 60. Made her up to be a ways older though

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
    I was watching The Rifleman yesterday and saw how he fired so fast from the hip. I never saw that episode before. Part of the title was the name Berti.

She asked to see his rifle in the stagecoach. He said it's loaded and didn't let her touch it. She said what's that for, looking at the loop lever. He said it allows me to fire automatically!

It was a screw that went through the lever and when it reaches the closed/cocked position with the round chambered the screw hits the trigger at the right moment so he never touches the trigger. Might be a set screw with a stop that he could back it off for shoulder fire.

No wonder he was a bad ass. I'll bet Chuck Connors loved shooting that rifle. There could be an episode that had the North Fork Gunsmith installing it.
    Mattel made a Rifleman toy gun when I was growing up. It had a small, flip-out lever on the regular lever right near the trigger so that when it was flipped out, it would engage the trigger and fire the plastic, spring loaded bullets (with Greenie Stick-um Caps in place) as fast as you could cycle it.

Here's a pic of one like it:

Notice the little lever (in folded position on this pic) just below the trigger at about 7:00. Folded (like the pic), it shot when your finger pulled the trigger, but when extended to engage the trigger, it caused the trigger to fire as soon as the regular lever was closed. As fast as you could cycle it, it would fire.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars