Thread: BG-42 Goodness

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up BG-42 Goodness

If you're like me and missed the boat back when Buck was offering the 110 and several other models in BG-42 then now's your chance, perhaps even your last chance.

http://www.skblades.com/#!product-pa...7-88adf8284543

For those of you who are unfamiliar with BG-42 here's the scoop on it.

http://www.matweb.com/search/datashe...96dee96ec6478c

It's a truly wonderful blade steel and blades made from it are some what scarce and usually quite spendy. Buck offered it on their 110 Hunter as part of their Master Series knives which included the 119 Special and a few other models a few years ago. If you can find one of the MS 110's on ebay they usually run in the $200-$250 range for NIB examples. SK Blades got Buck to make this special run with the last of the BG-42 they had and from all the info I have seen it probably will be the last time Buck will use this steel as it's not cheap and I believe it's a bit hard on the equipment they use to blank the blades.

It's never been offered on a drop point 110 before and given the under $100 price SK Blades is asking this is a great opportunity to get a really nice blade. I got mine a week or so back and could not be more pleased. If you've ever wanted a blade in this steel or are just interested in getting a blade at a bargain price that will only appreciate in value I would urge you to take advantage of this opportunity while there are still some available.

I'll try and get some photos of mine posted this weekend.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well I learned something new reading this post. I'd never heard of BG-42 stainless before. The probelm with getting that blade is I'd want to use and carry it all the time. There would be no collector status for it.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Well I learned something new reading this post. I'd never heard of BG-42 stainless before. The probelm with getting that blade is I'd want to use and carry it all the time. There would be no collector status for it.
    That's why you have to buy two! I've got a Buck 301 in BG-42 through my BCCI affiliation that I use so I don't feel bad about keeping this one as a safe queen. Where that not the case I would have ordered two of these. Still might order a second. At this price I can always get my money back and then some.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell