Thread: Israeli blue Tip low velocity 158gr 9mm fmj

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Israeli blue Tip low velocity 158gr 9mm fmj

I have a box of this stuff. It says UZI on it, and was made by IMI. I bought it about a week ago because I thought it was neat, no plans to shoot it. But out of curiosity: is it sub sonic, or particularly valuable? Looks as if it was made and sold in the '80's or early '90's. Will follow up with pics
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    I have a box of this stuff. It says UZI on it, and was made by IMI. I bought it about a week ago because I thought it was neat, no plans to shoot it. But out of curiosity: is it sub sonic, or particularly valuable? Looks as if it was made and sold in the '80's or early '90's. Will follow up with pics

What caliber? If it's for an UZI, I suppose 9mm?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Not to be a smart ass, but it does say 9mm in the title. I would assume 9x19, unless the Israelis are known to deviate a lot from NATO.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Not to be a smart ass, but it does say 9mm in the title.

While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

made for Uzi's. Dont bother shooting it in anything else or you'll be sorry.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    Not to be a smart ass, but it does say 9mm in the title. I would assume 9x19, unless the Israelis are known to deviate a lot from NATO.
    Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Not to be a smart ass, but it does say 9mm in the title.

I'm getting old........ now who was I?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    If it is truly for the Uzi, it might be loaded slightly hotter, and considering a 156gr bullet, would guess it is. The Uzi bolt carrier is a super heavy shroud that totally encloses the rear several inches of the barrel, so if a round does cause an explosion, the carrier is designed to protect the shooter. One of the reasons that little rifle is so heavy.

For that reason I would not consider shooting it in any other weapon. (Boy how I hate how ATF has destroyed that phrase, Any Other Weapon!)

Is it in commercial boxes? Back in the 80's I had some 115 grain Uzi brand ammo with the IMI headstamp. I've always wished I could get some more.

If the stuff is in commercial type boxes, I would expect "Uzi" to be the brand it was marketed under rather than a designation for its intended use.

Edit to add: There might me some collector value there.

Edit again: Does the box look like one of these? https://www.google.com/search?q=uzi+...1vTnMNullX4%3D
    Last edited by Avanarts; 01-18-2016 at 06:55 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I'm betting it is subsonic and that's why the heavier bullet in order to get teh speed down but maintain some punch.

The 9mm will handle heavier bullets. Fiocchi, IMI and Prvi Partizan offer a 158 grain FMJ round at 850, 935 and 984 fps, respectively. Their subsonic velocity is ideal for suppressors.
    Read more: http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloadi...#ixzz3xekZWd1r
    One used to be able to get IMI’s 9mm 158 grain FMJ bullets, but these seem hard to find nowadays.

Read more: http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloadi...#ixzz3xeklqZVy
    Having found the statements in the linked article, I feel pretty confident it is just subsonic with no high pressures.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Thanks for the google-sleuth job Schuetzenman!

Quote Originally Posted by Avanarts View Post
    Is it in commercial boxes? Back in the 80's I had some 115 grain Uzi brand ammo with the IMI headstamp. I've always wished I could get some more.

If the stuff is in commercial type boxes, I would expect "Uzi" to be the brand it was marketed under rather than a designation for its intended use.

Edit to add: There might me some collector value there.

Edit again: Does the box look like one of these? https://www.google.com/search?q=uzi+...1vTnMNullX4%3D
    Yes, the box looks exactly like the first picture that pops up.

Schuetz, thanks for the info. Good to know, but I think It's gonna just be sitting around at my place looking cool for a while.