Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Mosin Barrel Bands

  1. #1
    Conributor 09/13 slamfire51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    8,283

    Mosin Barrel Bands

    I purchased a Mosin 91/30, and disassembled it to inspect and clean.
    In the process of removing the bands, the finish was scraped really bad. So much so, the stock will need to be refinished.
    Is there a solution to this problem?
    After the stock is refinished, I don't want this to happen the next time I take the rifle apart.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........


    GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

  2. #2
    Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Most North City of Mexico
    Posts
    7,811
    Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    I purchased a Mosin 91/30, and disassembled it to inspect and clean.
    In the process of removing the bands, the finish was scraped really bad. So much so, the stock will need to be refinished.
    Is there a solution to this problem?
    After the stock is refinished, I don't want this to happen the next time I take the rifle apart.
    What kind of finish?I used tung oil on stocks before after the bands are in place.Tap the bands and apply the oil.
    NRA LIFER
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.




  3. #3
    Conributor 09/13 slamfire51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    8,283
    Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    What kind of finish?I used tung oil on stocks before after the bands are in place.Tap the bands and apply the oil.

    Typical Ruskie brown w/shellac.
    I may sand down the areas leading to the bands final position. then refinish.
    Thinking about putting a yellowish brown shellac AFTER I put the bands back on.

    Like this one,
    http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?3018-43-from-90
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........


    GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

  4. #4
    Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Most North City of Mexico
    Posts
    7,811
    Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    Typical Ruskie brown w/shellac.
    I may sand down the areas leading to the bands final position. then refinish.
    Thinking about putting a yellowish brown shellac AFTER I put the bands back on.

    Like this one,
    http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?3018-43-from-90
    That would be pretty nice looking.
    NRA LIFER
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.




  5. #5
    Conributor 09/13 slamfire51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    8,283
    Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    That would be pretty nice looking.
    I like the color....a lot!
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........


    GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

  6. #6
    Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MS Woods
    Posts
    8,789
    Well, two things come to mind. One is that you could smooth the inside and edges of the bands with a mill file or sand paper and then cold blue - that would reduce the cutting...

    And the other thing is that I have some Bullseye Ruby Shellack in my shop - I got it a home depot believe it or not. This is a very close match to what they used - a redish shellack.

    Hope you're patient though as the shellack takes a good bit to dry and set up.

    Used it on this:



    I used a spirit stain first - miliatry red - Brownell's carries it IIRC - I have a bottle I could look up the brand if you want...?
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 10-16-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~
    MSSG, 2LT (MS), 125th MP Company



  7. #7
    Conributor 09/13 slamfire51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    8,283
    Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Well, two things come to mind. One is that you could smooth the inside and edges of the bands with a mill file or sand paper and then cold blue - that would reduce the cutting...

    And the other thing is that I have some Bullseye Ruby Shellack in my shop - I got it a home depot believe it or not. This is a very close match to what they used - a redish shellack.

    Hope you're patient though as the shellack takes a good bit to dry and set up.

    Used it on this:



    I used a spirit stain first - miliatry red - Brownell's carries it IIRC - I have a bottle I could look up the brand if you want...?
    Nice job on the AK. Pretty color.

    But I have my heart set on a yellow shellac I used several yrs. ago on an Ironwood Maadi stock set.

    For the life of me, I can't remember the brand name. It's been around for 50+ yrs.
    If Gunsnet ever recovers the old board, and pics are still there, I post one of the Maadi.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........


    GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

  8. #8
    Conributor 09/13 slamfire51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    8,283
    After ruining the finish by removing the bands, I decided to go ahead and strip the stock.
    I was planning to use a chemical stripper, but after seeing how easily the finish was removed by the bands sliding over it, I decided to go a different route.

    Years ago, my dad showed me how to remove most gun stock finishes by using a single edge razor blade by back dragging it over the finish. So I took a disposable razor knife and began scraping. This Ruskie shellac comes off like scraping paint off glass. Took me an hour to remove all the finish except what you see in the pic. This method is too easy.

    Too, I think not using a chemical stripper will leave the inspection marks more visible.

    BEFORE



    AFTER
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........


    GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

  9. #9
    Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lancaster County PA
    Posts
    1,957
    Great scraping job. In my opinion it is the way to go. Much better than introducing a chemical on the wood. Old school is cool.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

  10. #10
    You can spread the bands on most 91/30's by using a small screw driver and thereby prevent your need to refinish.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
VigLink badge