Thread: Not a big fan of AK Pistols...

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Not a big fan of AK Pistols...

Never have been. I pretty much dismiss them as being toobig for EDC, ugly, less stable than a proper shoulder fired rifle, and... Ok you get the idea. Never thought of them as being particularly good.

However, the guy at my LGS who is selling me that WASR for $400 has an M92 pap for $525. He says it's been sitting there for far too long (it's been there at least y months) and he's ready to get rid of it. He hasn't specified a price to settle on, only disclosed that it's used, comes with 2 steel mags (1 Yugo bho), and has 2 different muzzle brakes , one of which looks like AKS74U muzzle break.

I looked it over. Receiver seems straight, gas block/ front sight has no cant that I can see, seems well maintained, no rust, rivets aren't bowing... I might just pull the trigger after I pay the last $100 on my WASR over the next couple weeks.

As to why my sudden interest despite my previous disliking of them: indoors pdw. 7.62x39 from a short barrel like this supposedly has about as much power as a .44 magnum. This can hold 30 rounds. This means close quarters if anyone comes in my house unwelcome at night I'm like Dirty Harry multiplied by 5 with 30 rounds of soft point 7.62x39. Most people recommend a shotgun, but this will be much easier to maneuver around the house with than a lengthy shotgun, and it'll hold more rounds ('I have too many rounds in this mag' said no man ever).
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

For $525 I think it should come with an arm brace.

FYI, if you haven't used a brace yet, they work.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Oh, and you better get some good hearing protection if you want to shoot this in a house. Standing outside in a field it feels like a small explosive going off in front of your face.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I do not think hearing protection will be at the top of the list of things to do if he has to use it at home.
    But I do understand your ringing in your head will last awhile. But this is all firearms fired in a walled
    environment.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I too could never understand the fascination with an AKM in pistol form. People complain about how heavy the Beretta 92 series is, but the AKM pistol makes the 92 like a feather. Very hard to hold for good aimed fire, and very hard to aim. One the other hand the muzzle flash would probably blind a bad guy in your home at night, but what about your own night vision?

Never heard if Mr. Kalashnikov said anything about what he thought about people turning his homeland defense rifle into a pistol.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

We usually keep the house lit at night. A little dimly maybe, but still lit. so blinding anyone is likely not a major concern. Hearing is another issue, but a secondary one. First issue is going to be how much drywall is that 7.62x39 going to penetrate? As stated, I will be using soft points, and the short barrel will probably slow the round down considerably. Second is how well will I be able to control the muzzle climb on a barrel this short. I may talk to lgs about giving it a test run, allowing him to hold my Glock as collateral.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    I do not think hearing protection will be at the top of the list of things to do if he has to use it at home.
    But I do understand your ringing in your head will last awhile. But this is all firearms fired in a walled
    environment.

Then don't use one of these for home defense, period! They're way too loud to shoot unprotected, especially indoors.

I keep a set of electronic hearing protection next to my AR. If I don't have time to throw that on then I'm probably using my handgun anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    We usually keep the house lit at night. A little dimly maybe, but still lit. so blinding anyone is likely not a major concern. Hearing is another issue, but a secondary one. First issue is going to be how much drywall is that 7.62x39 going to penetrate? As stated, I will be using soft points, and the short barrel will probably slow the round down considerably. Second is how well will I be able to control the muzzle climb on a barrel this short. I may talk to lgs about giving it a test run, allowing him to hold my Glock as collateral.

Nope.Penetration will barely be different than with a rifle. That is one of the reasons why 7.62x39 out of a short barrel is somewhat popular. It doesn't lose as much steam as a .223.

The flash will slow down your shooting more than the muzzle climb. Its going to throw a basketball like fireball. Sort of like an M44. You can put a muzzle break on it for the recoil and muzzle climb, but then your flash and noise will be even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I too could never understand the fascination with an AKM in pistol form. People complain about how heavy the Beretta 92 series is, but the AKM pistol makes the 92 like a feather. Very hard to hold for good aimed fire, and very hard to aim. One the other hand the muzzle flash would probably blind a bad guy in your home at night, but what about your own night vision?

Never heard if Mr. Kalashnikov said anything about what he thought about people turning his homeland defense rifle into a pistol.
    I think it would be more appropriate to compare AK "pistols" with carbines and submachine guns, as the only reason they are called pistols is to appease the ATF.

Seriously, throw an arm brace on a M92 and you have a semi-auto krinkov with an ugly buttstock that you're not supposed to shoulder.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

OK, if I were to get one of these, it would be for the event of SHTF.

I would put a good sized single-point sling attachment on the back of the receiver - designed so as to allow for a stock to be secured to it.

In the event of SHTF, when we don't worry about silly gun laws, the stock could be attached and you'd have a very handy SBR.

Of course, you could get a stamp and attach the stock right now...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~