Thread: 155 year-old mouse trap in museum unexpetedly traps a mouse

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

155 year-old mouse trap in museum unexpetedly traps a mouse

A 155 year old mouse trap on display in a museum trapped a mouse that somehow got into the display. The trap design is actually very simple, yet very clever, and doesn't need to be reset like most modern traps. Diagram and better pictures in second link.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/...?intcmp=hplnws

http://blogs.reading.ac.uk/merl/2016...an-mouse-trap/
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

"For now, her body rests in a small, tissue-paper tray surrounded by silica gel in a sealed plastic box."

Oh brother
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Maybe that is a 155 yr. old, very well-preserved mouse....

Actually, that is a pretty neat trap.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

And in other recent mousetrap news...
    http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/01/...2741453229717/
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

I am glad to see some sympathy for the mouse. Dying of starvation or lack of water
    is a horrible death at any level.
    And now she will live forever with dignity. Good story.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    I am glad to see some sympathy for the mouse. Dying of starvation or lack of water
    is a horrible death at any level.
    And now she will live forever with dignity. Good story.
    Not everyone wants to see a dead mouse, even if it has a good story. Throw it in the trash. A mouse would have zero sympathy for you and your family when you suffer and die from leptospirosis.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I kicked one into the corner with steel toe boots at work one day and a guy almost cried, he welled up in the eyes and got really mad at me. A military guy. Early twenties. one of the millennial girly men of the future.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    I kicked one into the corner with steel toe boots at work one day and a guy almost cried, he welled up in the eyes and got really mad at me. A military guy. Early twenties. one of the millennial girly men of the future.
    Holy shit, a mangina walking! Kick a mouse, I've stomped em flat with work boots. He'd probably of fainted seeing that! Bwahahaa!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Not everyone wants to see a dead mouse, even if it has a good story. Throw it in the trash. A mouse would have zero sympathy for you and your family when you suffer and die from leptospirosis.
    Animals do not have that type of emotion. You, I think, have watched way to many Disney movies. I will kill them in
    a heartbeat but I was speaking of the way it died.

Humans become infected through contact with water, food, or soil that contains urine from these infected animals. This may happen by swallowing contaminated food or water or through skin contact. The disease is not known to spread between humans, and bacterial dissemination in convalescence is extremely rare in humans. Leptospirosis is common among water-sport enthusiasts in specific areas, as prolonged immersion in water promotes the entry of the bacteria. Surfers and whitewater paddlers[21] are at especially high risk in areas that have been shown to contain the bacteria, and can contract the disease by swallowing contaminated water, splashing contaminated water into their eyes or nose, or exposing open wounds to infected water.
    Last edited by l921428x; 02-10-2016 at 11:29 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

The mouse catcher (and ground hog exterminator) in my house used to be a 100 pound dog (Chow mix). Sadly this dog had to be euthanized last Summer when her hips gave out due to old age and she could no longer stand up. Living adjacent to woods and large fields I often get mice in the house and my Chow was not only much faster than any of my cats in catching a mouse -- when one would run under a sofa etc. the dog would lunge against the sofa violently until the mouse ran out. It was entertaining to me to see the dog knock over furniture chasing a mouse, but my wife always had a somewhat different reaction. If a mouse ran under something immoveable like a refrigerator the dog would wait for however long it took (sometimes 24 hours or so) for the mouse to run out. The dog could always tell if a mouse was in the house. I think she located the general location of a mouse via smell but often could not locate the specific location as well as one of my cats who seem to locate mice via sensitive hearing rather than smell. I have a new dog (lab/pit mix) but so far I have not had an opportunity to see if he will go after mice. None have come in the house recently, but during this Winter the cats have killed a few in the garage.