Thread: Early import or kit build?

Early import or kit build?

Barrel has correct markings and looks right but all receiver has is 56 on it. Any info would be nice. image.jpeg. image.jpeg. image.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by blunt350 View Post
    Barrel has correct markings and looks right but all receiver has is 56 on it. Any info would be nice. image.jpeg. image.jpeg. image.jpeg
    Can I get a closer pic of the barrel WITHOUT the sling on it? Also what are the markings on the other side of the receiver? Just curious

the wood doesn't looks chinese to me, maybe maple? does the receiver say made in china or list an importer on it anywhere?

im sure AK nut will respond with the scoop on this. If it is a kit build it looks really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    the wood doesn't looks chinese to me
    Me either
    I don't think that's a kit more likely a replaced thumbhole early sporterized with most of the good stuff still in tact
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

There are no other markings on receiver.The hand grips look like they came off mak90. Matches the ones i have.Butt stock matches one i got from guy off ebay from a guy that sell nos butt stocks on other forums.Can't think of his name. Grip is one i had and don't think it's chinese but looked close. I have seen one other rifle (pic's only) but was side folder and it was supposedly early import before they started marking receivers. Barrel has this stamped on it (IACO Sac CA) and this on other side (NORINCO 7.62mm China) IMG_2349.JPG

I'd say the hand grips are original to the gun they usually don't get messed with regardless of what was done with the buttstock
    Nut will probably be along he's a wiz at markings and serial numbers

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Thanks friends!

My first impression is that the original stock set was that red/orange "plastic" as there was a model imported that came called a "56-3" that had the trunion marked "56" and not "56S". The barrel was stamped very lightly with Norinco and the importer. The type seemed to be one point as it was so tiny. Some were so poorly marked that the markings were almost impossible to see.

Off hand I don't remember the receiver having any markings at all. Since AK variants have their serial number on the front trunion, and on this rifle the importer was stamped on the barrel, there really didn't need to be markings on the receiver.

Hard to tell from the photos, but I assume the bayonet lug is fully intact?

The only thing that seems wrong with this rifle judging from the photos as given is that it has the wrong stock set on it.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 02/2013 s15v8's Avatar

comparing the picture with my own 56s the bayo lug looks intact to me

Yes the bayonet lug is intact.No marks on receiver just on the front trunion.The barrel has this stamped on it (IACO Sac CA) and (NORINCO 7.62mm China) on other side. Sad part is i had the red hand grip and pistol grip but not the butt stock couple years ago and sold them. Here is pic of bayonet lug IMG_2359.JPG These are two pic's i had seen with same markings and finally found them 20160207_132156_zpsee0q7fsx.jpg 20160207_132215_zpsx9aop8cf.jpg. So i guess now question is do i find correct furniture and put back on or leave it along and enjoy. Collector value? Would it add any value to justify cost of furniture. Anyone have value they would put on this rifle with either or furniture?

Finding the correct reddish orange plastic stock set would be just this side of impossible. Not saying a set won't one day magically pop up as strange things do happen, but they are very rare.

The rifle still holds collector value even with the wrong furniture as the markings are unique. That Norinco without the "S" has sold for some crazy dollars on gunbroker. Not having the correct stock will hurt, but some collectors wouldn't mind having the rifle and doing the search for the holy grail of stocks themselves.

The standard stock 56S has been selling for just over $1000 in excellent condition without box and accessories. I would really say it would be worth it finding the correct "56-3" red plastic stock set and installing it. I personally believe it would be a case of where one plus one would equal three.

Here's a five year old thread over at Gunco
    http://www.gunco.net/forums/3-ak-47-...-question.html
    Latest post is from Dec 2015
    Looks like it might have some of what you're asking about
    Almost identical

Yep. Thanks again guys. Now for the longggggg search for the correct furniture to put back on it. Still slapping myself for selling the pieces I had as I thought I would never need.

Just to give you an idea what people ask for this very special rifle, here is one on Gunbroker. Not guaranteeing it will sell for the asking price, but...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=542600294