Thread: Quick, AR SBR question.

Quick, AR SBR question.

Can I take a lower reciever thats already registered as a rifle and have it registered as a SBR lower?

You can register either an existing pistol, an existing rifle, or a virgin receiver as the basis of your new SBR. It doesn't matter.

sweet, thanks alot. Thatll save me some monies in the process, so i just have a class 3 dealer lead me through the paperwork then order a shorty upper?

You'll be the "maker" and do it on a Form 1, presumably. Nothing wrong with asking a local C3 to help you out with the paperwork, but no dealer involvement is required to "make" a new SBR on a Form 1. You'd only have to involve a Class 3 dealer if buying an already-made SBR from someone out of state, to avoid an additional transfer tax.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by circuits View Post
    You'll be the "maker" and do it on a Form 1, presumably. Nothing wrong with asking a local C3 to help you out with the paperwork, but no dealer involvement is required to "make" a new SBR on a Form 1. You'd only have to involve a Class 3 dealer if buying an already-made SBR from someone out of state, to avoid an additional transfer tax.
    What do you suggest when it comes to engraving the information?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Thank you very much for this information.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    Find a local trophy shop/engraver near you that isn't anti-gun. They'll need to do it while-u-wait unless they're also an FFL.

If no appropriate local shop is available, I've heard good things about Ident Marking Services and Orion Engraving, and a web search should turn up contact info/website for either place.

Find a local trophy shop/engraver near you that isn't anti-gun. They'll need to do it while-u-wait unless they're also an FFL.

If no appropriate local shop is available, I've heard good things about Ident Marking Services and Orion Engraving, and a web search should turn up contact info/website for either place.
    Thank you,I will see if we have someone in my area.

Team GunsNet Silver 05/2012

Is engraving necessary? Reading the form 1 instructions it sounds like you register it using the existing serial #. You only need to put additional data if you are building from scratch. Is this right?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    If you sBR and existing weapon (based on Filthy Phils letter he posted) on a form 1 you need to engrave nothing, repeat noting on the weapon. If a class 3 license holder had to cut the barrel then he'd have to put his mark on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    If you sBR and existing weapon (based on Filthy Phils letter he posted) on a form 1 you need to engrave nothing, repeat noting on the weapon. If a class 3 license holder had to cut the barrel then he'd have to put his mark on it.
    Okay I take my stripped AR lower send in the forms etc get my stamp back and put on the short upper and I'm good?