Thread: 2200.00 to drill a well and install a nice hand pump at my place.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

2200.00 to drill a well and install a nice hand pump at my place.

Yay or nay?

how deep?
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Why just a hand pump?
    Plumb it into the house AND put a hand pump on it for when there is a power outage.

BISHOP

What kind of strata?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

The cost may be less.That is based on 120ft. Since I live in a valley with a creek behind my house, it may be much more shallow. I have an electric well to the house now. The strata is dirt, limestone, etc..

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

that's $18.33 a foot. my neighbor works for a drilling/well service over here in coffee county. i'd be glad to ask him about the price.

That includes a (approx) $500 well pump which is heavy duty. He quoted 12 per ft, but I am including the pump in the price as well as the $75.000 state fee. I can't see him needing to drill past 50 ft. Oh, and that is with at least one 22 ft casing.

AB - 50 feet is not deep enough to avoid surface contamination UNLESS you reach artesian water with 2+ gallons per minute flow rate.

I used to inspect and test wells in a Missouri county south of St. Louis for the health department.
    Last edited by JTHunter; 02-13-2016 at 08:22 PM.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    AB - 50 feet is not deep enough to avoid surface contamination UNLESS you reach artesian water with 2+ gallons per minute flow rate.

I used to inspect and test wells in a Missouri county south of St. Louis for the health department.
    Doesn't it depend on the type of land? We're sand out here, I think they only went 60' down. I had some work done not long ago, gophers had chewed through the damn water pipe! Since then I've had to chlorinate the well every month and a half or so......Keep getting the rotten egg stench.... 20 years I had to do it once or twice, now every month and a half......I can't figure out what the problem is. Any suggestions?

I guess sulphur has oozed into your well.Both my neighbors have sulphur in their wells. I do not. I don't think it can be fixed- except by a water softener.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

The old time wells around here are only around 12-15' deep. The water is good. I'm talking about the ones that people dug themselves.

Regardless, I would think that an in-line filter would be much cheaper than drilling deeper. I don't know about reverse osmosis systems but that'd be another option.

I'm planning on using a driven point well system to put in a back up well on my place.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I guess sulphur has oozed into your well.Both my neighbors have sulphur in their wells. I do not. I don't think it can be fixed- except by a water softener.
    Water softener does nothing for rotten egg smell. Chlorine does the trick for a while. But it's wierd that I only had to clorinate the well a couple times in 20 years, have the well worked on and bam every month and a half.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

i have a sulphur well. it is about 125' deep. it is what some call white sulphur. we drink it daily. it does smell a little. i run it through an in-line charcoal filter. then we bring it in, let it stand, then pour it through a brita. tastes a hell of a lot better than city water.

Quote Originally Posted by kuntryboy View Post
    i have a sulphur well. it is about 125' deep. it is what some call white sulphur. we drink it daily. it does smell a little. i run it through an in-line charcoal filter. then we bring it in, let it stand, then pour it through a brita. tastes a hell of a lot better than city water.
    Ours smells a lot. Terrible smell. I had an inline charcoal filter, they don't last very long. Guess I'll just keep chlorinating the well every month and a half.