Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OH HOLY HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH HOLY HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to buy a new laptop.....

I now have the complete misery of having to fuck with Windows 10.

Things as simple as creating a shortcut on the desktop is non existent.
    I CAN create a shortcut but its not as easy as just right mouse clicking on the web page and clicking "create shortcut".
    NO! I have to create a new shortcut and TYPE in the web address THEN name the file. AND its not a real shortcut icon, there isn't a nice little image in that icon that pertains to the web site it refers to, nope its just a blank (white) icon.

Is there a way to remove the mandatory search engine on the explorer screen?
    I don't want to search. I want to type in the web address and go. If I get the address wrong then it should tell me, not search for something.

I have a favorites list that has probably 150 links in it. I need to find where that file is hiding and HOPE that I can just drag, or copy the links into the favorites file.

The more I use this computer the more I see that its practically worthless for me.

BISHOP

lost everything last week........
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I will cry when my 8-year old Gateway with Vista (set to classic Windows mode) dies some day. I hope that isn't for a long, long time.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Isn't microsoft a wonderful company, giving us stuff we don't want, that doesn't work the way we would like. Updates that are unnecessary because the old stuff worked great, but they seem to change it for change sake, and then open up a whole ball of crap that even intelligent people can't figure out, and don't like.

Like our current government that knows better, microsoft keeps making this crap whether we want it or not, and then forces us to deal with it knowing that most of the industry uses their office and other programs, making us beholden to what ever they want to shove down our throats.

Need to go to bed, being awake and on the computer raised my blood pressure every time I see the popup for Window 10, something we don't need, want or care to use even if it is free!

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post

The more I use this computer the more I see that its practically worthless for me.

BISHOP
    Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. You're getting yourself all worked up over nothing. I got the Win 10 upgrade and haven't had one problem, nor have I lost any files or pictures. It works like a dream for me.
    There's a couple of places to help walk you through the privacy issues (M$ loves your data). Everything is generally located under your "Setup" icon in the start menu. There's a lot of stuff to turn off. Take your time.
    Download and install Firefox, don't use the IE crap. I was a long-time IE user, but the Win 10 version is crap. Firefox is wonderful.
    If it wasn't so late I could try & look up the setup guides from on-line computer mags and other helpful sites.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

if your not a gamer, make the switch to apple So much better.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I'm using 10, first on a laptop that had 7 on it. Then I built my new desk top PC and put Win 10 on that. It makes desk top icons easy peasey, didn't notice a difference. I probably have a much more complex PC than your lap top. It has a C: for boot which is an SSD and then it has two, 2 TB Hard Drives in Raid 1. So except for Windows the bulk of the data and programs are on the Array wich is F:. I open the folder, right click make a short cut to desk top and hit enter. I don't have to type anything. As far as your Favorites in IE, not going to happen. You'll have to reconstruct your Bookmarks one by one.

You have some sort of non win 10 version then.
    Creating a shortcut icon has never been so complicated before. Like I said earlier, before is was as simple as a right mouse click and a left mouse click. THAT IT.
    Now I have to right mouse click, type in the whole URL THEN name the icon.

My favorites. I probably have 150-200 that I have ben collecting since my first computer and have been able to move them from computer to computer as they dies by saving the actual Favorites file and moving it in to the right place.
    I have found the favorites file but it doesn't contain the links that I have put in it. Instead it has other links, like Amazon and Bing in it. These files, I can't seem to figure out where these are hidden.
    The links that I have saved in the favorites file seem to be in a Hub. When I did searches of hub, there are thousands.

Next is to get rid of these stoooopid tabs. I found something last night that talked about tiles but wasn't paying attention. Then couldn't find where it was when I needed it.

I have no idea why everybody is always concerned with the start menu because that is one thing that I never use. Everybody keeps talking about how easy it is to place things in the start menu...... I place things on the desktop. Full view.

Every time I buy a new computer it usually takes me 2 weeks of fucking with it every day before its usable again.

Windows 12 will include a newly designed keyboard and the removal of 7 letters they deemed not used enough. Everything will be suggested and you will not be able to type in any direct URLs.

BISHOP

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!

So I have 292 favorite links that I have been collecting since 1997 or so.

I was able to successfully transfer them into the new computer. The secret is to not use Microsoft Edge as the browser and switch to IE. NOW I know there is so much "better" browsers out there but seriously, I just don't need them. They wouldn't offer me anything more than what I use IE for except for a search engine built in to the address bar which I DON'T WANT!!!!!!!
    I never let the computer use suggestive anything. I want the computer to go where I tell it PERIOD! No searches EVER. When I want to search I'll click that icon.

Now I have to conquer the desktop icon problem.

My stress and anger problems have now dropped by 80%

I NEED A BEER.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 02-14-2016 at 10:22 AM.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!

I was able to successfully transfer them into the new computer. The secret is to not use Microsoft Edge as the browser and switch to IE. NOW I know there is so much "better" browsers out there but seriously, I just don't need them. They wouldn't offer me anything more than what I use IE for except for a search engine built in to the address bar which I DON'T WANT!!!!!!!
    I never let the computer use suggestive anything. I want the computer to go where I tell it PERIOD! No searches EVER. When I want to search I'll click that icon.

BISHOP
    You must be doing something weird. I've never had any of those issues your mentioning. I also quit using IE years ago except under certain conditions. Firefox beats the snot out of IE, AND, you control what you want, not micro$oft telling you what you want.

Anyway, here's a couple places to help.
    W10: 5 things you need to do immediately after you install it.
    http://bgr.com/2015/07/30/windows-10...tion-settings/

Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out.
    http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10...ow-to-opt-out/

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You have some sort of non win 10 version then.

BISHOP
    Do you know how absurd that statement is? It's a fully licensed copy of Windows 10 Home 64 bit. Came on a flash drive from Fry's Electronics.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs down

Been Lucky so far! Got my Computer built for me, back in 2010. Started out as a Windows XP Pro now a Converted Windows 7 Pro. I will keep it till it can no longer be kept running. If Windows 10 is the shape of things to come, and they don't get better, I may give up on Computers If I could still use Windows 98 with Windows 8 Browser, I would do so, Then I had to go to XP, now 7 Pro. I hope they learn from the Crap with windows 10 and the next series is more like what we remember. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

I bought a new Dell XPS15 notebook that came with W10 Pro. I really like it. I came from WXP. Like anything, W10 has a learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    ....... now (Win) 7 Pro. I hope they learn from the Crap with windows 10 and the next series is more like what we remember. Paul
    It's an easy transition to Win 10 and works good, but if you have Win 7 Pro, keep using it. It should be good for a few more years.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

I will, this one is 6 Years old this Month. It helps to have a Computer made for you, and not buying some Crap off the Shelf.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

I've almost have it working like ALL windows in the past have (minus 8)
    It still takes several more steps to get a shortcut made as a useable link than just a simple right mouse click.
    I now have a plain blank page, its minus all that crap they had (news feeds and other clutter plus a previous list of where you went) when I click the IE icon that's permanently stuck to the lower tool bar. I still can't get one on the desktop.
    Its usable but slow as there are still problems.
    I got rid of the damn tabs but hey still seem to pop up occasionally.
    Now to get rid of Bing. That one will be easy, I just need the time.

BISHOP

I CAN create a shortcut but its not as easy as just right mouse clicking on the web page and clicking "create shortcut".
    NO! I have to create a new shortcut and TYPE in the web address THEN name the file. AND its not a real shortcut icon, there isn't a nice little image in that icon that pertains to the web site it refers to, nope its just a blank (white) icon.

Is there a way to remove the mandatory search engine on the explorer screen?
    I don't want to search. I want to type in the web address and go. If I get the address wrong then it should tell me, not search for something.

I have a favorites list that has probably 150 links in it. I need to find where that file is hiding and HOPE that I can just drag, or copy the links into the favorites file.

BISHOP
    Just wipe the HDD and install a copy of Windows 7.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    I will, this one is 6 Years old this Month. It helps to have a Computer made for you, and not buying some Crap off the Shelf.

I build my own computers. Aside from my wife's Dell laptop, all my others and custom made by me.

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    W10: 5 things you need to do immediately after you install it.
    5 steps:

1. Delete Windows.
    2. Install Linux.
    3. Not necessary.
    4. Not necessary.
    5. Not necessary.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

My old laptop died last year. New Del was purchased and has 10 on it. I am not fond of it either. But I've gotten used to it. I've been through so many changes in the last 3 years that this just seemed like a very minor thing... lol
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast