Thread: So is happiness really a belt fed weapon?

So is happiness really a belt fed weapon?

Well, it looks like I'm going to find out ...
    ... I picked up an Ares Defense MCR-lite, it can feed from mags or belts

I started with the 16" base model but have a 12" barrel enroute along with a f/a bolt for the M16 and a mag adapter for the M249 SAW box ... with the additional parts I'll have about the same in it as their f/a ready upper but I'll have 2 barrels and 2 bolts ... what I won't have is iron sights and a barrel handle, I think I'm ok with the trade-off.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Oooooooooooooooooooo, damned nice looking rifle.

Yeah, let us know how happy it makes you.....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I will be honest, I am very jealous. That thing is beautiful. I hope you have a long, happy relationship.

Damn right. I do believe the trade off is ok!

I love the wheels under the selector. How heavy is it with just
    an inserted magazine?
    Last edited by l921428x; 02-17-2016 at 10:13 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Oh my
    You wanna hang out some time?
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Hey new best friend, how are ya?
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Looks pretty sharp. Is it FA or SBR?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Initially I just put it on a A&A lower but then I switched it to a Colt SBR'd lower even though I don't have the short barrel yet ... You have to use a modified bolt stop they supply but the only difference is that it doesn't have the thumb pad to release it. I've got an M16 that it will be going on when the f/a bolt gets here along with the 12" barrel.

I took it out this morning and put another 100 rounds through it and sighted in the scope and magpul buis I had on the bench & borrowed a mount off one of my other toys so I could use my suppressor then I put on a belt and it worked like a dream ... I'm guessing when the f/a parts get here it will be more like a wet dream!

I was interested in a FN SAW but I can't do the happy dance with it and I really didn't think it would be that much different from using the beta c-mag, but it is, I'm really looking forward to the f/a parts getting here and I can put it on my M16 ... I'll do a video or two then!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I'm GREEN with envy!

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Damn right. I do believe the trade off is ok!

I love the wheels under the selector. How heavy is it with just
    an inserted magazine?
    Since that picture I've already changed it quite a bit ... (my new Barbie!) its sporting my Colt SBR'd receiver; I'm going to keep it on that or the M16 lower; it has a RRA 2-stage trigger, Magpull UBR which is on the heavy side. I've also added a YHM QD Mount for my Phantom suppressor and a set of Magpul's plastic BUIS, with a loaded 30 round Pmag it's right at 13 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Oh my
    You wanna hang out some time?
    Sure, but you'll have to bring ammo!

So anything new on this? Updated photos? Range report?

Not much new, while the temps aren't bad, the wind has been fierce ... I did get it out and did the 200 round break-in and sort of zeroed the little 4x scope pictured above ... there were sustained winds of 25-30 and gusts of 40+ mph, but for the most part the wind was coming from behind me so it may be pretty close. After that I cleaned it and threw a belt on and it ran perfectly in semi ... this is the week the other goodies showed up. Wednesday I got a box of nut-sacks and yesterday the big brown truck dropped off my 12.5" barrel, FA bolt carrier and mag adapter so I can attach the nut-sacks and 200 round boxes ... of which I have 5 of each now.

So far I've got 4 nut-sacks and one 200 box of rounds linked up ... most of which I did by hand but yesterday a buddy of mine (the one that started this madness of "needing" a belt-fed) ... he loaned me his linker. I'm not sure if its actually any quicker to use the linker than to do it by hand. It does 20 at a time but getting the links and bullets lined up then pulling the handle to slide them together can sometimes be tricky and if everything doesn't go just right it messes up the tray and you have to start all over with that section so ... I don't know if I'll buy one or not ... I'll play with this one for a bit more and see if I get better at it but so far its about a wash.

I hope at lunch time I can make a quick trip out to the range and see how she runs in FA ... until then, here's a pic I took in the garage with the suppressor, new barrel, mag adaptor and I put a ACOG on it I bought on line a while back not really realizing how big it is ... its a 6x48 monster ... and kind of heavy too and its been sitting on the shelf since I got it because the re-stocking fee's were more than I wanted to pay, not to mention shipping and insurance for a $1800 scope.

one of those aimpoint micros would be good on that.

Are the barrels on these proprietary?

a belt fed Canadian/colt LMG upper style forend/barrel would be awesome.

Im gonna push my luck and try to get an RPD next month.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    one of those aimpoint micros would be good on that.

Maybe, I'm not at big fan of red-dots ... my eyes, even with glasses like a bit of magnification

Are the barrels on these proprietary?

... the piston system on this is very similar to an AUG and its similar to an AR barrel except it has this big hole on top for the locking pin just in front of where the bolt lugs lock in. I don't know if the gas port is drilled in the same place either ... but a significant difference is the op-rod is on the left side of the barrel instead of on top likewise, the area of the bolt where the op-rod contacts the bolt is on the left side too ... I don't know if you could modify an AR barrel, I'm still pretty new to it and I'm sure there is probably a discussion board somewhere for it but when I was looking around for more info on the MCR I didn't come across one.

a belt fed Canadian/colt LMG upper style forend/barrel would be awesome.

Is there such a critter?
    I've got a Colt LMG upper and an A2 lower that is the correct era and color but its mag-fed. I've read that the LMG was an open bolt system and would wear out the hammer and trigger pin holes long in pretty short order; I've had this for 2-3 years and haven't sent one bullet down the tube ... now I don't know if I ever will! Ares does make a 12.5", 16" and 20" heavy barrel and they are its pretty close to the same diameter as the Colt LMG

Im gonna push my luck and try to get an RPD next month.

I've been seeing them on GB ... I think they'd be a blast and if work as good as they look, it seems like it would also be a good investment!
    I did get out yesterday to shoot it but the batteries in my Flip were dead and as it turned out it was really windy and things just didn't go well ...
    I only work 1/2 a day today, its supposed to be nice and only 15-20 mph winds ... so if possible I'm going to try again to do a video

So I got out to my buddy's farm to try out the Ares on the M16 ... about $40 worth of ammo in 31 seconds

Picture is a link to view video ...

Last edited by kimberkid; 03-02-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Nice!

Nice!!You are right, belt feeds are fun!!!I love my rpd!!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Nice, full fledged nice!!! Yes, that is pure happiness warm or cold.