Thread: A decent buy?

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Question A decent buy?

Not sure what the going rate on Yugo surplus 7.62x39 is, but I just bought a crate of it. 1120 rounds shipped to my door for $323. Good purchase? Site only had 10 in stock and the other sites I checked out wanted about $15 more before shipping. I don't see this stuff often, so I jumped on it.
    ETA: Here's the link to where I purchased it from.http://www.sgammo.com/product/762x39...e-yugo-surplus
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Can't say with today's prices. I've got a can that's not on stripper clips that I bought from AIM years ago. Seems like it has about the same amount of ammo and I seem to recall it selling for under $100 back then. Still unopened so I'll have to read the outside again as to how many rounds it has.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

28,8 cents a round for corrosive Yugo. I can remember when it was 6 cents.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I would have gotten the 1000 rounds of golden tiger for $257 shipped instead.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/golden...n-russian-ammo
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

^did not see that. I bought it partially because it seemed like a fir deal, and partially for the novelty wooden crate, but especially for the sealed cans for long term storage.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    There was a day that would have been a crazy price, but these days it is not too out of the ordinary. Good shooting stuff on strippers, but corrosive so wash thoroughly after use.

Yeah, I read the description. Bought 2 bottles of hoppes and already cut some cleaning patches from an old T-shirt. Lol

Probably should buy some of them pipe cleaners to clean out my gas port.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    28,8 cents a round for corrosive Yugo. I can remember when it was 6 cents.
    IIRC this is the stuff that you posted about an being a hazard to open. Mine has the wooden dowel you pull to open the can, kind of like peeling open a can of Spam (you can see the dowel in the photo). Didn't you suggest opening it through a partially open door so that the end of the metal strip doesn't stab you when it finally comes off the can? That's always comes to mind when I think about opening mine and I'm pretty sure you're the one who experienced that first hand. Something to keep in mind.

Still haven't checked mine but IIRC it has 1,260 rds since it's not on strippers. AIM sold it both ways as I recall.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

use a file to take the rim off the can and dump it out
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Dremel sounds faster. Lol

I've a bunch of that stuff from when it was a bit cheaper, but not a bad buy in today's market. It's corrosive, but not that bad. Just use a spray bottle with water and rinse everything off, dry it, and clean as normal. Don't spare on the oil and you won't have any problems. I live in one of the most humid areas of the country (SE Texas) and I don't have rust issues following those guide lines.

That's the idea. Treat it like I treat my Mosin. I was expecting to get it in 2 cans in a crate, but it was 1 big can in a crate. Slight bummer as I wanted to open 1 can and shoot it, and keep the other sealed. Instead of dremeling/ filing it open I used the integral wire with wooden pull handle. Wore a face shield to do it, but instead the wire hit me in the neck when it broke loose. Lol

The wooden crate is kind of cool. Went ahead and stuffed all the ammo boxes back in it after I removed the can and ammo. The brass looked brand new despite being stuck in that can since 1968. All of it is on stripper clips, so that's handy.
    Last edited by Aggressive Perfector; 02-27-2016 at 08:57 PM.