Thread: A Memorial Episode from Season 3(1964) of Combat!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs up A Memorial Episode from Season 3(1964) of Combat!

"Odyssey" I just finish going through all of Combat on Netflix and Youtube. I saw one I had forgotten. Saw it so long ago as a Boy. The Story finds SGT. Saunders badly Wounded in a Battle, can cut off from his Platoon. A Frenchman working for the Red Cross and Field Hospital of a near by German Garrison, finds him, and puts him in the Uniform of a Dead German Ober Gafrieter. (Senior Corporal) He brings him to the German Field Hospital. They Treat him, He fakes a massive Head Injury, that plus he does not Speak German neither. The Stabs Unter offizer (E5) does not believe him, The Doctor does. They try firing a Mauser behind his Back and he does not Flinch. They Tag him and put him on a Train. While on the Train, He helps the Captured G.I. to escape, but only he and one other get off the Train. Saunders and the Kid make it to a French Farm House, He talks a scared Woman into helping his Wounds. A German Truck comes and They find him, The Key Element in the Show, is the Feldwebel (E6) He looks at Saunders Tag, and treats him kindly, realizing he has a massive Head Wound. Saunders does a good Job all through the Show hiding he is an American. The Feldwebel notices his Africa Band on his Sleeve, and shows him his, and his Family Photo. The find the Kid outside in the Trees, The Feldwebel tried to get him to come out and Surrender. The Kid was Scared. The German Lt. who is an absolute Jerk, Kills him. The German Feldwebel, jumps on him for shooting the Kid in Cold Blood, The LT. basically said as much as I could pick up in German. I am in Command here! The Feldwebel went to the Kid checked him out, put his Papers back in his Pocket that the LT. had callously left on the Ground. Then Prayed for him. Saunders saw this. They get in the Truck, and Drive some, and are Ambushed by Our Troops. Saunders Jumps into a Foxhole with the Feldwebel, his Lt. and a frighten German Kid. Like the American Kid that was with Saunders, The German is also Scared, and runs out of the Foxhole. The Jerk of a LT. Shoots him for leaving his Post. The Feldwebel, once again yells at his LT. for this horrible Act. Our Troops advance, The LT. get Killed. Saunders then grabbed The other Schmeisser in the Fox Hole and points it at the Feldwebel and says in English Drop the Gun, Sergeant! the Feldwebel looks at him in disbelief and Said American! He then tries to leave the Fox Hole after an Explosion nearby, Saunders tried to Shoot low, sadly He kills the Feldwebel. Takes off the German Coat, and surrenders to his own Troops telling him who he is. He sees a G.I. starting to go through the Feldwebels Pockets. He screams at him, "Get your Hands off Him" The surprised PVT. says to him they had orders to check for Information on Dead Germans. Saunders says I'll do it. The great thing about this Episode was the German Army Feldwebel. He was a good man, a Man who believed in God, and showed that there was good People on all Sides of the War!
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Sounds interesting.

But why do you hate paragraphs? You're a paragraph bigot.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Not at all! I just got to typing and forgot to space. that all. Sometimes lost in Thought I do that. Sorry!
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021