Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Group Industries Uzi for $800

All I can say is arm brace. That ALSO gives you a plane..... yadda yadda.

I welded up the xtra stock today but f-ked it up a tad so I won't post a pic.
    I had to grind it offand stat again...
    I'm going to wait till the reciever comes in before I finish this pistol stock.

BISHOP

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

My additional magazines came in. I am hoping to take her to the range tomorrow.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I think you are one mag short!

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    These pistols were sold everywhere in the US. The stock is still there but its fixed (welded inside) in the closed position.

Seeing this, I have decided that when I build my pistol I am taking the extra stock I have and welding it in the closed position and then attaching it to the rear of the pistol via the allen screw that normally holds on the stock.
    So I'll have a complete and proper looking Uzi but in reality it will be just a pistol.
    And I don't know why no one else has thought of this earlier.

BISHOP
    This WAS thought of earlier. I remember back in the 1980s we tried to get ATF approval for a fixed CLOSED dummy Uzi stock (for a standard Uzi that was sold as a pistol) and the ATF was having None of it. Things may have changed since then, but the ATF was a wonderful place for sudden and arbitrary proclamations of "YOU CAN'T DO THAT BECAUSE WE SAID SO" every time anyone thought of anything cool.

I took the Uzi out today - it disappointed me. I loaded up various mags with cheap 124 gr and 115gr 9mm WWB and Remington, one mag with 9mm NATO, and another with IMI 9mm HP 115gr. The cheap stuff forced the Uzi to shoot like a bolt-action - the ammo didn't have enough power to push the bolt back with enough energy to have it cycle far enough to successfully push the next round into the chamber. The 9mm NATO was better - it jammed up about every 6 rounds. The IMI HP was the best - it fired almost the entire magazine without a hitch. I may have to find some +P+ and see how it performs with that. I was hoping this thing would eat anything I threw at it, but, alas, I am disappointed.

inspect the recoil rod.. usually #1 culprit.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    I took the Uzi out today - it disappointed me. I loaded up various mags with cheap 124 gr and 115gr 9mm WWB and Remington, one mag with 9mm NATO, and another with IMI 9mm HP 115gr. The cheap stuff forced the Uzi to shoot like a bolt-action - the ammo didn't have enough power to push the bolt back with enough energy to have it cycle far enough to successfully push the next round into the chamber. The 9mm NATO was better - it jammed up about every 6 rounds. The IMI HP was the best - it fired almost the entire magazine without a hitch. I may have to find some +P+ and see how it performs with that. I was hoping this thing would eat anything I threw at it, but, alas, I am disappointed.
    The Uzi being blow back and having a heavy bolt is going to required 124 gr. full power ammo. +P would probably be enough. Also 147 gr. rounds will cycle it better thanks to the extra resistance their extra weight generates. Remember I have Group folding stock 16" barreled carbine. With it the choice of powder is critical I found out. Fast powders like Bullseye or AA#2 are a no go. Then again AA7 burn rate powder was too slow and my speeds and pressures spiked with the 16" barrel. The same load in my Glock 19 handguns functioned perfectly. I eventually setteled on the 147 gr. bullet with AA#5 grade powder. It like baby bear's bed was juuuuusst right!

mine will cycle anything with it's 10" or 8" barrel.

2 things, look at the top cover and see how much it's contacting the top of the bolt.

make sure you have the right recoil assembly OR that it's not in backwards.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    The Uzi being blow back and having a heavy bolt is going to required 124 gr. full power ammo. +P would probably be enough. Also 147 gr. rounds will cycle it better thanks to the extra resistance their extra weight generates. Remember I have Group folding stock 16" barreled carbine. With it the choice of powder is critical I found out. Fast powders like Bullseye or AA#2 are a no go. Then again AA7 burn rate powder was too slow and my speeds and pressures spiked with the 16" barrel. The same load in my Glock 19 handguns functioned perfectly. I eventually setteled on the 147 gr. bullet with AA#5 grade powder. It like baby bear's bed was juuuuusst right!
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    mine will cycle anything with it's 10" or 8" barrel.

2 things, look at the top cover and see how much it's contacting the top of the bolt.

make sure you have the right recoil assembly OR that it's not in backwards.
    Thanks, fellas. It looks like it has the SMG top cover instead of the semi-auto cover (it has the "teeth" on the inside). The main recoil assembly in mine looks like same on both ends - is there a way to tell which end is which? Here are some pics. Does anything look like it's not correct, like SMG parts where S/A parts are supposed to be? Thanks!

deos the top cover still ratchet?

on recoil assemblies one end should have a red or blue wafer looking ring.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

deos the top cover still ratchet?

on recoil assemblies one end should have a red or blue wafer looking ring.
    The top cover does not ratchet and the recoil assembly does not have any colored parts - it looks like both ends are the same.

I was looking over the bolt and noticed the lower part of the bolt face looks like ass. I'm curious as to whether this may be effecting feeding.

that looks like it was blown up and repaired.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

that looks like it was blown up and repaired.
    Good possibility - there is no finish on the messed up part and it looks "melty" like shitty welds.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

stick a round in it's face and have a look.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Good possibility - there is no finish on the messed up part and it looks "melty" like shitty welds.
    It definitely looks to be welded. Welding always draws the temper out of the parent metal, making it soft at the edge of the weld.

Looks like I am screwed with my Uzi paper weight. Nobody has semi-auto 9mm bolts in stock. Full-auto bolts and .45 bolts are cheap and common, on the other hand. Damn. Live and learn. Thanks for the help, guys.

it's not too bad to fix the bolt face area.

I split my uzi bolt about 1/3rd apart and welded it back up and repaired it and it works.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Looks like I am screwed with my Uzi paper weight. Nobody has semi-auto 9mm bolts in stock. Full-auto bolts and .45 bolts are cheap and common, on the other hand. Damn. Live and learn. Thanks for the help, guys.
    How different are the bolts? Can a FA bolt be modified to work in a semi-auto?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    How different are the bolts? Can a FA bolt be modified to work in a semi-auto?
    Full auto bolts do not have the groove in them for that thick guide rail and they have a fixed firing pin. That said I do believe they can be modified to be semiauto compatible.
    To start you have to mill the slot down the right side of the bolt. The firing pin mods ... not sure how much fiddling required to execute that.

I am not going to fuss around with this Uzi. I put it on consignment today for what I paid for it. I am going to pick up a Glock model 40 MOS with the money I get from it if it sells. I'm bummed the Uzi didn't work out - it would have been a fun range toy. It was not going to be worth the time and money attempting to make it reliable, though, since I have other more reliable 9mm plinkers. The last gun "lemon" I owned was a Special Weapons 760 (semi-auto SW-760 SMG clone) and I've never regretted getting rid of that one.

Again, thanks for the help in attempting to diagnose the issues as well as for providing the tidbits of knowledge, everyone!
    Last edited by skorpion; 03-11-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast