Thread: SOF Magazine Will Cease Publication

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

SOF Magazine Will Cease Publication

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I use to get that magazine when i was in middle school. The amount of ads eventually overtook the articles.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

it should have added a sheet of tin foil each issue..........

I breezed few a couple issues the last few years.. garbage.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Toilet reading, probably in line with "guns and weapons of mall security" though I haven't seen an issue in a couple years.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I read and enjoyed it 30+ years ago but haven't seen an issue in a long time. Everything comes to an end I guess.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I skimmed through an issue a few years back and wasn't impressed. As already mentioned, it was more ads than articles - and the articles weren't very impressive. Nothing you can't read about on the interwebz.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I didn't even realize it was still in print. I haven't seen or heard of it in a good 10-15 years.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

It's not going away, it's going digital.
    Digital magazines are the coming thing of the future. Why print when you can ePublish at a far lower price and actually make more money per issue.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I didn't even realize it was still in print. I haven't seen or heard of it in a good 10-15 years.
    This!

I remember when Robert K. Brown and and (if my memory is correct) a SOF employee wrote about going to Southern Rhodesia and they carried (and maybe used) Mini-14s in the field. Those were the days. Now no one would write a positive article about a white minority government or carry a Mini-14 in a war zone. The last comment is not intended as a negative. I think the Mini-14 is a great carbine.

Not really surprised it's dying. Print magazines are hurting. The magazine certainly fueled my imagination when I was younger but post 9-11 every time I picked up a copy and flipped through I didn't really see anything terribly fascinating.

No more naked ladies in Playboy and no more Soldier of Fortune... teenage Starvin would have been disappointed if he had heard what the distant future of 2016 looked like.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    It's not going away, it's going digital.
    Digital magazines are the coming thing of the future. Why print when you can ePublish at a far lower price and actually make more money per issue.
    i agree and disagree.

most of my literature is digital, but it is no comparison to an actual solid book (or magazine). i love the digital literature because i can pirate it for free, which i highly doubt is in the business model for any publisher, but if im paying, i want REAL paper. i used to subscribe to 3 magazines, a few years ago, one of them went all/only digital. as soon as my subscription ran out that was the end of that one. i suppose there are some ppl out there that will pay for digital information, but imo, in this age, its not going to be any kind of trend.

SOF has gone mostly digital. You can still find it in the large book stores in the shopping centers. I understand circulation went up drastically when it got put on line.

My military friends tell me one guy buys the link and passes it to everyone else in the Team/squad/platoon etc. Then everyone walks around with it on their tablet/smart phone etc.

Makes perfect sense in a mass circulation because you can save all the back issues in the cloud and it gets the mags out and in my case wife doesn't complain that I leave it laying around ! ! ! !

Check out the Feb issue:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3v...ew?usp=sharing

If you are a NRA member check out page 6. Command Page
    Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone and Highpower Rifle, Presidents 100 (Rifle), Member US Palma Teams and US Dewar Teams. US Army Test and Evaluation Command - Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director - Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, NRA Member since age 12, NRA Benefactor, Charter Member International Wound Ballilstics Assn, Life Member Gun Owners of SC, Life Member Palmetto State Marksmen's Assn, Eagle Scout, Bhd OTA, Shriner, FF1, AC4HT,