Thread: New Suppressor!

New Suppressor!

Submitted two e-form 1's; one SBR & one Silencer ... on 12/15/15, on 3/2/16 the one for the silencer was denied because in the name block I had my name only, I left "Trust" off ... It was in the denied folder, but no reason given and not signed by the examiner ... I used "ask the experts", they replied, I fixed it and re-submitted ... It was approved today 3/10/16 ... 86 days in all. Tomorrow I'll have a new 9mm suppressor; I bought all the components off Amazon, I just have to drill out the "cups" which are actually K-baffels which aren't drilled. Until I figure out a way to put a piston on it, it won't cycle a semi-auto unless it's a barrel pinned barrel, but I'm ok with that; but seeing that necessity is the mother of invention, I'll figure it out. Until then it's threaded 1/2x28 so I can shoot it on my Ruger MK III ... I also plan to thread my Skorpion 32acp & 380 ... BTW, this isn't a "mag lite" suppressor, it's a machined tube with proper end caps, all together it was about $150 for the 7" aluminum tube, a stainless 1st baffle & 6 aluminum baffles.

I haven't heard anything about the other form 1 for the SBR ... hopefully it will be approved soon.

there is another way you can get around it but you'd need a lathe , a small fitted block and rubber O-rings.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nice! Looking forward to a range report when you get it to the point of being able to shoot with it.

I was thinking last night about using a Silencerco piston & spring, just drill out the cap so the piston will fit through then make the first baffle lock into the piston ... What about that?

So I took my SWR/Silencerco 1/2x28 piston that I got when I bought my Octane 45 and one of my end caps to a buddy that has a machine shop for him to bore the hole for the piston (I don't have a drill bit that big and I wanted to make sure its centered) ... and it functions/works perfectly on both fixed and tilt barrel semi-auto pistol's! The only down side is that it doesn't lock into the tube like on the SWR tube ... after it snugs down to the bottom of the threads the can just spins on the piston but it hasn't been a problem in a couple hundred rounds ... so now this piston has a home for all things 22LR and 9mm!

As to a range report, I'm thinking about picking up an inexpensive db meter ... most of the "cheap" ones only go to 130db but if I set it back 10 or 15 feet I think it will give me a good idea of a difference in db's when comparing it to other cans like my Octane 45 at the same distance.

It's way more quiet than shooting without it (I know, you're surprised ... right?)

Suppression is enough that I don't feel the need to use hearing protection, even with full power 115/124 grain loads, but even with sub-sonic loads its no where near Hollywood quiet I wish I had another 9mm can to compare it to; its louder than my Octane 45, but that can is longer by 1.5" and also has a larger diameter ...

So now I'm looking forward to building a 223 can ... I've had my stamp for almost a year but am just now settling on materials ... I've looked at several possibilities and I think I'll use a SD Tactical Ti tube and stainless "cups" from JMPF on Amazon ... both components are more expensive than aluminum but I want it to last (and not blow up) ... in the end it will be about 1/2 the cost of any commercial can on the market ... it may not be "as quiet" but from what I'm reading it'll be good enough I don't need hearing protection ... until someone shows up at the range that doesn't have a suppressor!
    Last edited by kimberkid; 05-14-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Missed this post 4 days ago. Interesting update. I hadn't considered a DIY with some prefabbed parts. Hummm ....

I got a cheap dB meter on Amazon, it reads 30 to 130db ... Compared my home build to my Octane 45

Unsuppressed Glock 19, according to what I've found on the inter-webs, is about 165db's, 130 is the point where hearing damage is common

I took the readings about 5 feet away and a step back because standing right next to it, the blast was more than the meter could handle ... A 10 shot average my Octane was 87db and my build averaged 102 ... For the difference in cost of the Octane and my build, I'm satisfied!

Maybe not quite ear safe if indoors but outdoors I think that would sound pretty quiet. Congrats!

When you have to get finger prints for everyone on the trust I'll definitely be done ... its just not worth the hassle.

Anyway ... I don't have a dedicated .223 suppressor so I'm going to build one with a
    Titanium tube and ends, K-cups are stainless.

I've actually got 2 threaded caps, one is 1/2x28 and the other is 5/8x24 ... All the parts are here so when the stamp comes in all I have to do is drill it and get it engraved!

What's the length and diameter of that tube?

Sorry I missed your question Schuetz!
    The actual tube is 10.25 but with the end-caps its almost 11" and it's the D-cell size.

This one is my 3rd Form 1 Suppressor and is registered as caliber 223. I'm glad I ordered the components when I submitted the Form1 because the BTAFE has ordered them to quit selling "Suppressor Parts" ... even though these "parts" are advertised as "solvent tubes for mess-free firearm cleaning" ... and have all the warnings about not drilling it out without prior NFA stamp of approval. Other companies are selling the same type of components ... although most are only selling aluminum.

I'm thinking that if the Hearing Protection Act ever passes they will be back up in an instant ... and other good quality "Suppressor Kits" will be available!

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    Sorry I missed your question Schuetz!
    The actual tube is 10.25 but with the end-caps its almost 11" and it's the D-cell size.

This one is my 3rd Form 1 Suppressor and is registered as caliber 223. I'm glad I ordered the components when I submitted the Form1 because the BTAFE has ordered them to quit selling "Suppressor Parts" ... even though these "parts" are advertised as "solvent tubes for mess-free firearm cleaning" ... and have all the warnings about not drilling it out without prior NFA stamp of approval. Other companies are selling the same type of components ... although most are only selling aluminum.

I'm thinking that if the Hearing Protection Act ever passes they will be back up in an instant ... and other good quality "Suppressor Kits" will be available!
    Well you know what they say ... better late than never. BTW got any photos of the finished Can on a weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Well you know what they say ... better late than never. BTW got any photos of the finished Can on a weapon?
    I didn't but took a couple for ya

This is my 3rd suppressor build, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. When I ordered it I got 3 end caps for it; 1/2x28, 5/8x24 and the required blank(not drilled) ... After my stamp was approved I had the blank cut to 1-1/8x28 so I could use any of the adapters from my Octane, including the 3-lug adapter. Had I been thinking I would have re-cut one of the others and drilled the blank to 3/8" and not threaded it so until I get another end cap this one has threads on both ends. In order to make it caliber friendly I drilled my baffels to 3/8" so I can shoot anything through it up to 9mm.

This is a 300BO upper but I've also used it on my 9mm MP5 SD ... but the SD is another story!
    Last edited by kimberkid; 04-30-2017 at 12:17 PM.