Thread: Norinco Type 97 Disassembled *pic heavy*

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Norinco Type 97 Disassembled *pic heavy*

For the curious, here are some pictures of the rifle taken apart. It came apart fairly easily and it is quite simple to re assemble.

There is a pin just ahead of the buttplate that holds the back cover on. Push this pin out an the striker spring pushes the back cover straight back and off. Pull the striker and spring out and then pull out the operating rod with the bolt attached. Top and bottom covers are also attached by a rail in the front and a pin in the back. The top and bottom cover are plastic but feel good quality.

Here is the view down inside the receiver on the trigger group. The bolt slides on the top of the receiver. The receiver is aluminum. Not sure how i feel about that but i haven't heard of anyone having an issue yet and some owners are over 10,000 rounds fired through their rifles without problem.

The bolt

Gas system. It has three settings. 0, 1 and 2. ) is off so it is manually cycled for each round. 1 is normal operation and 2 is for adverse.

The switch for this gas setting is just in front of the sight above the barrel. It is a toggle that needs to be pressed in and turned. It is locked in place by a spring loaded tab.

This is the inside part with two different size holes for the two gas settings.

Here is where the piston pushes the operating rod.

Here is the face of the op rod that this piston is coming in contact with. It rides on a steel rod that is pushed into the tang above the barrel.

Here is the piston and spring

And lastly where it came out of. The gas port is inside there.

Hope this gives you a basic understanding of how it works. This week I hope to get a GoPro POV vid of the rifle being fired. This rifle was washed and oiled before reassembly. This was my initial cleaning after purchase.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

wow, very nicely and simply built.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Great photos! Thanks for taking such detailed shots of a very interesting rifle!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nice post, the photos with text were great!