Thread: Did any of you see the 2009 Film from China called: "Red Cliff?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs up Did any of you see the 2009 Film from China called: "Red Cliff?

I had rented a Korean Movie from Netflix called Tidal Wave. I happened to see the Previews of other Films on the DVD. I was not aware of this Chinese Blockbuster from John Woo. It is Called Red Cliff. I put in on my list of Movies to Rent. The Uncut Chinese Version is two Disks long, but is sadly only with English Subtitles. Normally I am not into Chinese Empire Films, Just Japan and Rome, but I am definitely going to rent this one. I wonder if any of you saw it too?

Red Cliff is set in China in 208 A.D. at the end of the Han Dynasty. The Prime Minister turned General and Warlord, is named Cao. He bullies the Emperor of China into going along with his Invasion of 2 other Kingdoms. This looks like one hell of a Movie. It is being reviewed as the Chinese Lord of the Rings. One hell of a Trailer as well. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Looks like the kind of stuff thats always playing on the little tiny shitty tv at the Asian grocery I frequent
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I sure didn't. I'm not bilingual and hate reading subtitles. As a result I tend to stay away from foreign movies.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Yes, I've seen it and its sequel. It is based on historical events / characters from China. Chinese and Japanese movies can be pretty good. I don't mind the subtitles. It would be goofy to have them speaking English.

Looks interesting, my take is always what propaganda did the chicoms put in it?
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

No I don't mind the Subtitles neither, Have heard good things about John Woo, looking forward to seeing it. Will have to get the Sequel as well. Also read they used a lot of PLA Soldiers making it.
    Last edited by Hobe Sound AK; 03-24-2016 at 03:41 PM.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    Yes, I've seen it and its sequel. It is based on historical events / characters from China. Chinese and Japanese movies can be pretty good. I don't mind the subtitles. It would be goofy to have them speaking English.
    Cool!

Chinese and Japanese films are getting a LOT better (as far as being slick looking). One thing is that, now that American Blockbusters are seen everywhere in the world, the entire world's cinema is stepping up and getting better. I've noticed a LOT of great cinematography and CGI coming out of Asia that rivals Western movies. Also there are TONS of historical battles/wars that I'd love to see on film. I'm also looking forward to them mining their own mythology for Fantasy flicks. We had Clash of the Titans and Beowulf. I want to see epic mythological creatures and battles from other parts of the world

Also, China is buying up US cinemas. Soon all films will have to be approved by the Chinese gov.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Website for the Movie is: www.redclifffilm.com
    Paul

Thumbs up

Great Film! It took me 2 Nights and just under 5 Hours of reading English Subtitles. but It was well worth Watching. Reminded me of Ran and the 7th Samurai, but is such a larger grander Scale. The CGI is well done. Not Bloated and over done like the bloated Sorry, Remake of King Kong.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Chinese and Japanese movies (in particular the latter) have been good for a long time. So much Hollywood crap is formulaic and dull. There is generally a propaganda element in Chinese films, often about the inherent virtues of Chinese culture and the attempts by foreigners to subvert it. Bad guys that are Chinese are often in cahoots with foreigners. Foreigners that are good are often seen as adopting Chinese values.

The CCP (Chinese Communist Party) only allows a certain number of foreign films to be shown in China each year. It's a BIG market. Do you notice how China is often given a shout out in really odd and out-of-context situations in lots of movies? That's why. They want to get the approval to be one of the foreign films. Example, I just saw "Daddy's Home" with Will Ferrell and Marky Mark a couple nights ago. In it, the characters are looking at old photos and there's one of them on the Great Wall. Will Ferrell says "oh, China, cool, I love China!" or something like that.

There are TONS of Chinese and Japanese movies about their mythological past. They just weren't released in the US. But you can easily get them online.

About foreign films in China: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ncrease-696708

The sequel is available online too apparently.